Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Lent? 
Creative Writing Student

Post Lent?
What is everybody doing for Lent? This year I want to give up eating chocolate bars for lent. :wink: :shock:

https://yellowducky2018.blogspot.com

Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:58 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: Lent?
As an agnostic atheist I don't change my routine for Lent. But I do celebrate Christmas and Easter... just without any religious aspects.

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:43 pm
Profile Email WWW
Official Newbie!

What is lent?

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:33 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

rubberband1 wrote:
What is lent?

Lent begins on Wednesday, February 26 and ends on Thursday, April 9, and is a period of time where you have an increased chance of a house fire if you don't properly remove it from your dryer. I think.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

At the risk of being called irreligious, evil, or whatever, I offer the following in the spirit in which it began - having a little fun. When I was in college, we played what we called "The Lent Game." You made a list of what you were giving up for Lent; the one with the longest list won. The only rule; everything you were going to give up had to begin with L; e.g. luncheon, liver, licorice, lemon drops, etc. Le(n)t the game begin.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:32 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I love licorice and lemon drops! Lent can be rough.

Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:52 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Magnet

I am told the custom of giving up something for Lent began with the same pattern that gave us Carnaval. Food was scarce in the depths of winter, and the households would scrape together whatever fat they had left and make pancakes, or other cooking requiring oil and fat, and have a little celebration. We call it Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) today. And whatever meat (carne) that had lasted that long would be part of the feast/festival, and that is Carnaval.

During Lent, Christians came to practice the absence of meat. (Carnaval is more about enjoying a last fling with meat than about how little of it could be found). This fasting was in rhythm with nature, but also identified with the self-denying asceticism that is an important theme in Christianity. For this one time of the year, Christians can interpret their abstinence (which nature might have imposed anyway) as solidarity with Jesus, who had no place to lay his head and who made the ultimate self-sacrifice.

Last year I gave up a very bad habit, addiction really, for Lent, as I had at Lent for many years previously. This time it stuck. I have not gone back to it since then. In this age of material plenty, when self-control is the most important issue in health and self-indulgence goes beyond all bounds of a balanced life, it might be good to think about ways we can reduce our cravings for convenience, disposability, impersonal distance, extravagance to impress others, and commodification of everything. I might suggest taking up a new recipe each week for cooking at home, and dabble in the marvels of vegetarian cooking while we are at it. I discovered a wonderful sweet-potato and chickpea curry (sorry, requires tamarind which is hard to find) this way two years ago. The irony of using foodiness as a way to do self-denial has got to have some appeal to all you heathens.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
Cattleman, DWill, geo
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:47 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Have you discovered cauliflower "steaks"? Sliced into big slabs, marinated, then glazed with something like ginger and lime juice and sauteed, a head of cauliflower becomes something special.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
Harry Marks
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:33 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Magnet

You set my mouth to watering, DWill. Must try this. We had already tried those big Portobello mushrooms in various meat imitation forms, and love them.

Gives a whole new meaning to giving up something for Lent.

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:11 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.