• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 729 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am

Lent?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
princesscookie19
Experienced

Lent?

Unread post

What is everybody doing for Lent? This year I want to give up eating chocolate bars for lent. :wink: :shock:

Currently Reading - Daisy War Chain.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Lent?

Unread post

As an agnostic atheist I don't change my routine for Lent. But I do celebrate Christmas and Easter... just without any religious aspects.
rubberband1
Official Newbie!

Unread post

What is lent?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

rubberband1 wrote:What is lent?
Lent begins on Wednesday, February 26 and ends on Thursday, April 9, and is a period of time where you have an increased chance of a house fire if you don't properly remove it from your dryer. I think.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

At the risk of being called irreligious, evil, or whatever, I offer the following in the spirit in which it began - having a little fun. When I was in college, we played what we called "The Lent Game." You made a list of what you were giving up for Lent; the one with the longest list won. The only rule; everything you were going to give up had to begin with L; e.g. luncheon, liver, licorice, lemon drops, etc. Le(n)t the game begin.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I love licorice and lemon drops! Lent can be rough.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

I am told the custom of giving up something for Lent began with the same pattern that gave us Carnaval. Food was scarce in the depths of winter, and the households would scrape together whatever fat they had left and make pancakes, or other cooking requiring oil and fat, and have a little celebration. We call it Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) today. And whatever meat (carne) that had lasted that long would be part of the feast/festival, and that is Carnaval.

During Lent, Christians came to practice the absence of meat. (Carnaval is more about enjoying a last fling with meat than about how little of it could be found). This fasting was in rhythm with nature, but also identified with the self-denying asceticism that is an important theme in Christianity. For this one time of the year, Christians can interpret their abstinence (which nature might have imposed anyway) as solidarity with Jesus, who had no place to lay his head and who made the ultimate self-sacrifice.

Last year I gave up a very bad habit, addiction really, for Lent, as I had at Lent for many years previously. This time it stuck. I have not gone back to it since then. In this age of material plenty, when self-control is the most important issue in health and self-indulgence goes beyond all bounds of a balanced life, it might be good to think about ways we can reduce our cravings for convenience, disposability, impersonal distance, extravagance to impress others, and commodification of everything. I might suggest taking up a new recipe each week for cooking at home, and dabble in the marvels of vegetarian cooking while we are at it. I discovered a wonderful sweet-potato and chickpea curry (sorry, requires tamarind which is hard to find) this way two years ago. The irony of using foodiness as a way to do self-denial has got to have some appeal to all you heathens.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Have you discovered cauliflower "steaks"? Sliced into big slabs, marinated, then glazed with something like ginger and lime juice and sauteed, a head of cauliflower becomes something special.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

You set my mouth to watering, DWill. Must try this. We had already tried those big Portobello mushrooms in various meat imitation forms, and love them.

Gives a whole new meaning to giving up something for Lent.

Return to “Everything Else”