• In total there are 15 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

What are you reading these days?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: What are you reading these days?

Unread post

When Einstein Walked with Gödel - Excursions to the Edge of Thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Eins ... G%C3%B6del

Challenging to follow at times (i.e. Cantor's infinities, Mandelbrot and roughness).

Talk about genius!
Great book.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Which Charles Dickens novel should I read?

I picked up a group of 10 of his novels, only two of which I've read. We did Great Expectations in school, and then later I read Oliver Twist. I liked both books and always intended to read more Dickens, and now I have the library. I think maybe David Copperfield and then The Old Curiosity Shop.

Any recommendations?
princesscookie19
Experienced

Unread post

Im reading a few books :shock: ,The Land of Roar/James patterson/beauty and the beast Im enjoying reading right now :)

Currently Reading - Daisy War Chain.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:I found a copy of The Things They Carried at a yard sale last weekend, so I'm re-reading it. Excellent book.
I was struck today by how many copies of it are still on sale in a local bookstore.

I don't remember much of the stories, but I remember a strong impression of how honest it was about war without trying to be sensationalist, and of how the author managed to put together a mosaic of snippets about the experience of soldiers to portray a powerful sense of how life goes in that situation.

It seemed to me that they lacked agency, being thrust into a situation beyond their control, and so they lacked the motivation to critique what was going on around them. They struggled with their own personal burdens instead. And isn't that how most of life goes? We are pawns of great forces, and we all too easily let our critical faculties go to the back burner because we are more than sufficiently challenged by the things in front of us to do.
brad mutton
Official Newbie!

Unread post

reading this diet book at the moment it is an enjoyable book and great if u wanna gain confidence and lose weight, will post a link to the book, not a diet book; lose weight and gain confidence by james smith
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/000 ... 3b3c823a33
princesscookie19
Experienced

Unread post

The Diamond of Dury Lane, Its a teenage book I found in the libary and is about a masqurade girl who lives in a opera and meets some people along the way =) I stopped reaing James Patterson coz it was waay to gory and detailed in a bad way so I went to the libary and found that book..nice

Currently Reading - Daisy War Chain.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Inception and Philosophy: Because it's never just a dream

https://www.amazon.com/Inception-Philos ... B0062LNQFM
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

A Liberated Mind: How to Pivot Towards What Matters by Steven Hayes (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy)

Next one to read might be A Year of Living Biblically by A. J. Jacobs
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

:welcome:
Welcome topazann.

You might enjoy checking out the BookTalk discussion of Guns, Germs, and Steel from a loooong time ago.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Just finished reading Tau Zero, a science fiction novel by the late Poul Anderson (written in 1970). Hard Sci-Fi, with lots of discussion of time dilation, and near-light speed, :? :hmm: plus plenty of character development. :up: Warning: Some of the chapters will take a bit of time to digest. :hmm:

Next on my list: The Three-Cornered War (subtitled The Union, The Confederacy, and Native Peoples in the Fight for the West) by Megan Kate Nelson. This author is not known to me. The book was recommended, and loaned, to me by a neighbor. I will probably update you on my thoughts when I am finished (or at least well into) it.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Everything Else”