• In total there are 15 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

promoting my ebook: Logic against Evolution

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
person123
The Great Gabsby

Re: promoting my ebook: Logic against Evolution

Unread post

oh... so you are like a social justice warrior... or something.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Maybe an anti-misinformation warrior? Maybe someday I'll even write an e-book about it. :chatsmilies_com_92:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
person123
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

but how do u decide what is the truth?
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Person123, here are some free courses (I'm sure there are more) that should clear up much of your confusion and expand your knowledge.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/genetics-evolution <= Introduction to Genetics and Evolution. Duke University. Hurry, starts today.
https://www.coursera.org/learn/evolution-today <= Evolution Today. Universiteit Leiden and Naturalis Biodiversity Center. Starts 12/9/19.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

People are terrible at figuring out what's true on their own. Or even in large groups. For starters, we can't rely on ourselves. We have to use tools to combat our own stupidity. The worst way to arrive at the truth is to observe something, then think it through. The operating system of our minds doesn't have the tools. We have to outsource this process to methods that are known to lead to truthful conclusions.

For parsing information and structures between concepts, we have to start with logic. Understand each type of fallacy and work on identifying them. It isn't easy, and many fallacies go against dearly held methods of reasoning that we've grown up using.

For gathering new information, we observe something we want to understand, then hypothesize as best we can, and figure out the crucial experiments to determine if it's true or false. But what we hypothesize can't be in the vein of an alien dream or futuristic video game, etc. There are a million hypotheticals that aren't testable, can't be falsified, aren't tangible, and aren't parsimonious for any given phenomenon. When we have a workable hypothesis, we try to prove it false. We come up with crucial experiments, which are intentionally structured to get to the heart of the truthfulness of a hypothesis.

That's still not enough, of course, because we trick ourselves, reason emotionally, etc. So the experiments need to minimize the human influence by way of double blind procedures, allowing for repeatability and testability and reproducibility, and be reviewed by others.

If we do enough experiments over long enough time, and the hypothesis isn't shown false after many attempts, it becomes a theory. If certain small parts of it are shown false, the hypothesis may be discarded or reworked. If we find small parts of a strong hypothesis or theory to be false, then we acknowledge the problem but don't yet call it "false", since there's obviously a modicum of verisimillitude. The anomalies build up over time into a paradigm change, which is when large parts of the web of knowledge need to be reworked or tweaked to account for the anomalies.

Theories aren't proven true. They're just tested to the point where we can't think of a new ways to prove them false or to modify them. There's a difference between something being certainly true(few things are), and having truthfulness. Some parts of unprovable knowledge approach certainty, even if it's unattainable.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
person123
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:Person123, here are some free courses (I'm sure there are more) that should clear up much of your confusion and expand your knowledge.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/genetics-evolution <= Introduction to Genetics and Evolution. Duke University. Hurry, starts today.
https://www.coursera.org/learn/evolution-today <= Evolution Today. Universiteit Leiden and Naturalis Biodiversity Center. Starts 12/9/19.
hehe thanks LanDroid... maybe Duke University should teach my book on their courses.
person123
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Interbane wrote:People are terrible at figuring out what's true on their own. Or even in large groups. For starters, we can't rely on ourselves. We have to use tools to combat our own stupidity. The worst way to arrive at the truth is to observe something, then think it through. The operating system of our minds doesn't have the tools. We have to outsource this process to methods that are known to lead to truthful conclusions.

For parsing information and structures between concepts, we have to start with logic. Understand each type of fallacy and work on identifying them. It isn't easy, and many fallacies go against dearly held methods of reasoning that we've grown up using.

For gathering new information, we observe something we want to understand, then hypothesize as best we can, and figure out the crucial experiments to determine if it's true or false. But what we hypothesize can't be in the vein of an alien dream or futuristic video game, etc. There are a million hypotheticals that aren't testable, can't be falsified, aren't tangible, and aren't parsimonious for any given phenomenon. When we have a workable hypothesis, we try to prove it false. We come up with crucial experiments, which are intentionally structured to get to the heart of the truthfulness of a hypothesis.

That's still not enough, of course, because we trick ourselves, reason emotionally, etc. So the experiments need to minimize the human influence by way of double blind procedures, allowing for repeatability and testability and reproducibility, and be reviewed by others.

If we do enough experiments over long enough time, and the hypothesis isn't shown false after many attempts, it becomes a theory. If certain small parts of it are shown false, the hypothesis may be discarded or reworked. If we find small parts of a strong hypothesis or theory to be false, then we acknowledge the problem but don't yet call it "false", since there's obviously a modicum of verisimillitude. The anomalies build up over time into a paradigm change, which is when large parts of the web of knowledge need to be reworked or tweaked to account for the anomalies.

Theories aren't proven true. They're just tested to the point where we can't think of a new ways to prove them false or to modify them. There's a difference between something being certainly true(few things are), and having truthfulness. Some parts of unprovable knowledge approach certainty, even if it's unattainable.
Do you have an education? May I ask what you do?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I'm a janitor. I have no education. I won't be offended if you look down on this, I get it a lot.
person123
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

It's ok... I don't have any official education also... except school.
Last edited by person123 on Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

You don't need an official education. There are some good resources online. The SEP(Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy), Google Scholar, and the right books. We have a vast library of book conversations here on Booktalk.

Don't google an argument point that you want to support. Instead, google the opposing argument. Always research the support of what contradicts your argument. Be your own worst enemy with everything you believe.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”