• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What are some novels that depict loneliness, social isolation and alienation in the main character?

This forum is dedicated to discussing your preferred FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
evangelist884
Official Newbie!

What are some novels that depict loneliness, social isolation and alienation in the main character?

Unread post

The only older novels like this I already know of is Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky and also Catcher in the Rye. The only one I can think of that would be recent is Child of God by Cormac McCarthy. I would think that existentialist literature would be filled with this kind of material. But for the purposes of this post I would like the novels that I end up picking to preferably meet all three qualities in the main character; loneliness, isolation, alienation. Thanks.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: What are some novels that depict loneliness, social isolation and alienation in the main character?

Unread post

evangelist884 wrote:The only older novels like this I already know of is Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky and also Catcher in the Rye. The only one I can think of that would be recent is Child of God by Cormac McCarthy. I would think that existentialist literature would be filled with this kind of material. But for the purposes of this post I would like the novels that I end up picking to preferably meet all three qualities in the main character; loneliness, isolation, alienation. Thanks.
Interesting question.The Scarlet Letter comes to mind immediately. So does Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Actually many classic ghost stories seem to center around these three themes: loneliness, isolation, and alienation, including, for example, The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. More recent novels include Stephen King's Bag of Bones, which features a protagonist who is trying to come to terms with his wife's death. The first third of the book focuses almost exclusively on this period of bereavement, lasting several years. For all that, The Shining, is all about loneliness and isolation. And finally, I'm reminded of Ursula le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness, which is about an ambassador who is sent to a remote and very cold planet to try to convince the ambisexual (no fixed gender) people to join a sort of confederation of planets. The main character is very much out of his element and must endure plenty of hardships on his journey.

Edit: Oh, and Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.
-Geo
Question everything
evangelist884
Official Newbie!

Re: What are some novels that depict loneliness, social isolation and alienation in the main character?

Unread post

I'm kinda interested in novels that are dirty and gritty and more focused on the main character's thoughts/feelings, etc. Less focus on plot elements, and the author doesn't shy away from being graphic about the characters. Hopefully that makes sense.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four definitely fits this bill. Winston Smith, as the 'everyman' named after Churchill, represents the rational moral individual failing to cope with a social dystopia, in an existential crisis where he is unable to express his authentic identity due to the shallow intolerant anonymity of prevailing cultural values.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Absolutely, 1984. the book is ABOUT loneliness, social isolation and alienation.
ellisacoy
Master Debater

Unread post

For me, Albert Camus' 'The Fall' will definitely top as an answer.
Also, Kafka's classic Metamorphosis because the metaphor of somebody turning into a bug upon suddenly waking up one day and the accompanying isolation and helplessness is truly about the themes that your questions address.
evangelist884
Official Newbie!

Unread post

thank you ellissa and geo for your feedback. i will look into the Camus novel. Im somewhat familiar with but havent yet read 1984 and Metamorphosis. I'm sure they're worth reading but at the moment I'm interested in novels that explore the themes I mentioned, but also in a certain way that's difficult for me to put in to words. Anyway, thanks for your feedback everyone :)
mwtzzz
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Of Human Bondage is very much about the author's awkwardness during his youth (which he outgrew as he matured and realized that it wasn't his fault.)

A Conferacy of Dunces is about someone who is an oddball and an outsider, although it's debatable whether he realizes he is, or whether he cares.

A lot of previous replies are focused on existentialism - as illustrated by dystopian universes, philosophical self reflectio - but that's only one way to approach it. There's also a human level.
cpena
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Classic russian novels are really good at portraying isolation and loneliness. I would recommend Nikolai Gogol's Diary of a Madman and The Overcoat. Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis is also a book that I would add to the list. Hardcover copies of books are my favorite.
Last edited by cpena on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mwtzzz
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

Return to “Fiction General Discussion”