Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average. 
Flat Earthers 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Flat Earthers
This conversation is oddly captivating, although I've watched only about 15 minutes. Yes, they are out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsOz_J6tJVU
https://freedomainradio.com/

:whythis: :bananaparty:

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:18 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Post Re: Flat Earthers
I only watched the first couple of minutes of the video. Do we ever find out why this guy wants to believe the earth is flat. Because I have to imagine that one has to be pretty motivated to come to that belief. I would guess it comes from an extreme form of anti-authoritarianism?

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:57 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Asleep in Reading Chair

I listened up to the 9 minute mark. Utter nonsense.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:34 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Lunacy yes. I guess what interested me is how the interviewer draws out the flat earther and confronts without being combative. Kind of like the Dawkins/Lennox debate discussed recently.
geo wrote:
I would guess it comes from an extreme form of anti-authoritarianism?

Probably for both of them - the bald interviewer is an anarchist. :x

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:49 pm
Pop up Book Fanatic

It is rather sad to see how people genuinely believe that the earth is flat in our modern world. It might be because they lack quality education or maybe parenting (these are just guesses I do not have research to back this up).

There are many ways how we can prove that our earth is not flat. Here are just a few examples that came to my mind instantly :
The SunĀ“s altitude
Time zones
The Coriolis effect
Lunar eclipse
Photographic evidence
The other planets are also round
I still have something to say to people who want to argue with people who believe that the earth is flat. You have got to understand that SCIENCE does not drive these Flat Earthers, it's paranoia. So there is no amount of evidence you can show them the error of their conclusions. If you could bring them to space so that they could observe for themselves that the Earth is a globe they would say it's an elaborate illusion put on by Nasa. All you can do is pity them because convincing them is next to impossible.

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:11 pm
Profile Email WWW
Official Newbie!

Well I couldn't make it through more than a minute of this video, it blows my mind to imagine the immense number of people who don't believe this, seemingly, common sense fact. I will say if you want to watch a rather entertaining explanation as to how/ why some people believe the earth is flat the Netflix documentary "Behind The Curve" is an great watch. At one point in the documentary the flat earth believers, trying to get definitive data that the earth is flat, actually contradicts themselves.

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:07 pm
Profile Email
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
"I've never seen anything grow this fast," says Robbie Davidson, the founder of the Dallas conference. "I would say that within 10 years, the numbers are going to be astounding... next year, there's going to be a conference in every major country in the world."
...A YouGov survey of more than 8,000 American adults suggested last year that as many as one in six Americans are not entirely certain the world is round,
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/16/us/flat- ... index.html

Oh crap, a news article stating this thing is growing fast and getting even weirder!
Quote:
The reality, says Davidson, is that the flat earth, sun, moon and stars are contained in a "Truman Show"-like dome. From there, pitfalls can be easily dismissed -- like photos of the earth from space, which flat earthers believe are photoshopped. "This all goes away if they put a 24/7 camera feed on the moon," he adds.

A sky dome - that is downright medieval. Amazing. However the last sentence offers a way to disprove the flat earth hypothesis that would be definitive and accepted by flat-earthers. Very doubtful, they are too far gone.
Quote:
For Davidson, a born-again Christian, the most logical explanation for the conspiracy of the millennium goes like this: "Let's just say there is an adversary, there is a devil, there is a Satan. His whole job would be to try to convince the world that God doesn't exist. He's done an incredible job convincing people with the idea that we're just on a random speck in an infinite universe."

This helps explain the core of the whole thing. Their main mission is to prove earth is the center of a small universe and not an insignificant speck because somehow that makes it easier to believe in God. To do that, you must sign up for a gaggle of weird ideas. (Like the electro-magnetic vortex that's briefly considered in the video up top at the 17' mark.)

Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:38 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Likes the book better than the movie

I watched this stupid thing last week. I'm amazed that people parade their stupidity around so brazenly. "I believed in the globe earth until I had to admit that I couldn't find any example of the earth's curvature." What screams STUPID!!! more than that? And, yes, the world is getting stupider by the minute. I await the coming Idiocracy with exasperated resignation. Frankly, it's already here.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:05 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.