Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
One way to conduct a national election 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Freshman

Silver Contributor

Post One way to conduct a national election
Pheu! It's finally here - after six grueling weeks - federal election day in Canada.

Anyone out there just a little envious? :bananadance:

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:41 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Silver Contributor

Post Re: One way to conduct a national election
I see Obama has endorsed Trudeau, I can understand the desire to put an election behind you so in that I am jealous :wink: . Question: I see it’s a close race between Trudeau and Scheer, are the smaller parties going to be good for liberals or conservatives? . Is Canada so evenly split politically that partisanship is paralyzing in the manor that we see happening in the UK with Brexit?.

Canada is not a bellwether for the U.S. but we do share the USMCA, I prefer a more progressive great white north, it may be needed to help keep in check the mess that is swirling around D.C. .

The following user would like to thank Taylor for this post:
LevV
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:03 pm
Profile Email
Freshman

Silver Contributor

Post Re: One way to conduct a national election
Taylor wrote:
I see Obama has endorsed Trudeau, I can understand the desire to put an election behind you so in that I am jealous . Question: I see it’s a close race between Trudeau and Scheer, are the smaller parties going to be good for liberals or conservatives? .

The liberals and Conservatives, based on polls, are in a virtual tie at around 31%. Historically, a party required with a minimum 38.5% to form a majority. The New Democrats are to the left of the Liberals and the Greens are to the left on many issues, although they seem to draw votes from both progressive and moderately conservative voters.

The Bloc is a federal party based only in Quebec. Their purpose is to push the Quebec agenda at the federal level with the ultimate aim of separation from the rest of Canada, although separation wasn't an issue in this election. They're expected to make big gains in this election.

I'm writing this one hour before the results begin pouring in, but the pundits are calling for a Liberal minority government. If that is the case, they would be looking for support from the New Democrats and any Greens that may be elected. I believe the Liberals would rather not be associated with the Quebec party bent on separation. If the Conservatives are in a minority position with the most votes, who knows?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:22 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.