• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What are your favorite children’s books.

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: What are your favorite children’s books.

Unread post

I liked that one too Murmur.
Garyfalos
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I love reading “Dinosaurs love underpants” by Claire Freedman and Ben Cory with my 2 girls. We must have read it 100 times. It’s never boring. I love it’s rhyming format and it’s a little bit naughty! Great idea for kids.
karyanca
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Madeleine L'Engle's Time Quintet (A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, ...) and Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons series (really dated even when I was a child).
alongcameamonster
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Along Came A Monster is a storybook of a monster and a boy and a journey of discovery. The author is a school teacher and experienced many child issues in his career resulting in the creation of children’s bedtime stories.

https://alongcameamonster.com/pages/parents
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

vizitelly wrote:This is interesting because children's books end up freighted with expectation; there is a sense that they are somehow a window to the adult psyche. I don't think there is any truth in that but it is certainly true that out of all the drivel we read and enjoy as children, some books stay forever in the consciousness. This seems to me to be different to the concept of a favourite book because what is engaged is the imagination, which is vivid in children, rather than emotion, which is not much developed beyond the simplistic responses of crying or laughing. A good exercise is to go back and read again those books that stay with you from childhood.

The book that stays with me is 'Treasure Island' and each time I read it there is more darkness and danger in it than I ever saw as a child; but as a child I was enthralled by it.
Treasure Island is such a great one. Long John Silver is a monumental character in his smooth deception and ruthless murdering - perhaps the finest villain in literature, children's or adult's.

(Does adult literature allow villains? Richard III is a kind of grand villain, as is Macbeth or Iago, but they seem dated, too. Gone Girl? Robert Cohn in "The Sun Also Rises?" Geoffrey Clifton in "The English Patient"? There's a bit-player villain in "Cold Mountain". And "The Handmaid's Tale" makes a kind of villainess of the wife. "Schoolteacher" in "Beloved" is perhaps the archetype of villains in the modern novel - bleached out by the banality of evil, a nasty cog in a nasty machine too big for any one person's malign ambitions. Ah! I have it. Ronald Merrick in "The Raj Quartet" is just the twisted sort that a modern novel can really use as a villain.)

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”