• In total there are 28 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What does it mean to be "civilized"

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stephen martin fritz
Getting Comfortable

What does it mean to be "civilized"

Unread post

I am interested in the concept of civilization and would like to know what you think the term indicates.

Please help in my research:

-What does it mean to be civilized?
-If I said Joe is very civilized what would you imagine I am telling you about Joe?
-If I said Frank was uncivilized what would you think I was saying about Frank?

-Are you more or less civilized than your grandparents?
-Are some nations more civilized than others?
-Can a nation that is uncivilized, self-civilize or do they need to be influenced by an outside culture?

thank you.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: What does it mean to be "civilized"

Unread post

:welcome:

Civilization is a broad term, are you looking at all aspects of it or a subset?

Civilization for a country includes factors such as conformance to the general rule of law, a relative lack of corruption, a strong educational system, and relatively free communications. However countries that are considered civilized also engage in war, genocide, abuses of civil rights, and other "uncivilized" behavior.

Civlity for individuals normally includes factors such as politeness, good manners, respect for others, etc.

There are are two very different categories of civilization above (and probably more I haven't thought of). It seems difficult to lump all that together and discuss without chaos...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: What does it mean to be "civilized"

Unread post

I'm sure few people would ever consider other groups to be more civilized than the group to which they belong. So civilized is probably subjective and we all think we're pretty damn civilized and it is those guys over there that are uncivilized. But LanDroid did a pretty good job of defining civilized the way most of us probably define it.

Return to “Everything Else”