Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
What do you use as a bookmark? 
Pop up Book Fanatic

What do you use as a bookmark?
Do you use personally designed and made bookmarks? Do you buy them online? Or do you just use whatever you can find (receipts, bills, leaves) as bookmarks?

In my previous school, I encountered a couple of people who paid a lot of attention to the things they used as a bookmark. They would make and design them paying a lot of attention in the smallest details and color combinations. It almost seemed as if they paid more attention to the bookmarks rather than in books/reading.

I have also encountered people who use whatever they can find as bookmarks. The most common things that I have noticed are leaves, receipts, bills, photos, and even small sticks.

I personally do not think about what I use as a bookmark. Now that I think about it I mainly use receipts as bookmarks and nothing else.
What kind of things do you use as a bookmark? What kind of things you definitely would not use as a bookmark? Do you pay much attention to what kinds of bookmarks you are using?

The following user would like to thank IBstudentMoksu for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:34 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Asleep in Reading Chair

Post Re: What do you use as a bookmark?
Torn strips of paper and receipts. I use pretty much nothing else. I pay no attention to my bookmarks.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:29 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membership
Internet Sage

I use an old deck of playing cards. Assuming I've got a full deck, that's 52 bookmarks. I place the face of the card toward the page where I left off.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:07 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

As I mostly read e-books these days (due to failing eyesight), I rarely use a bookmark. When I do, It is usually a 3x5 index card (I keep a supply on hand for various uses).

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:36 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Freshman

Silver Contributor

I also like to use 3x5 index cards as a bookmark. Since I read mostly nonfiction books, the card is thick enough to use for underlining. The card is also large enough to record special pages I want to reread after completing the reading. I usually leave the card in the book to reference important pages in the future.

The following user would like to thank LevV for this post:
Robert Tulip
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:32 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Authors and publishers send me books regularly and quite a few come preloaded with bookmarks. So I use them if they're at the ready. I usually use genuine bookmarks as opposed to scraps of paper, playing cards or other miscellaneous debris. I don't know if I could handle looking on my bookshelves and seeing playing cards or lasagna noodles sticking out of my books. It would make me feel all tingly and anxious.

This discussion makes me want to have some new BookTalk.org bookmarks created again. Years ago we had awesome bookmarks created but our slogan and focus changed so those bookmarks no longer make sense. I'll hold off on doing new bookmarks for when we have a new logo and who knows when that will be.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:56 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

I find a large paperclip to be best. Also like the cardboard strips you pick up at paint stores to take home aNd decide on colors.

Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:06 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Doesn't a large paper clip cause damage to the pages?

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:11 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

Chris OConnor wrote:
Doesn't a large paper clip cause damage to the pages?

It doesn't seem to, but for "fine" books it wouldn't be the best way to go. The main thing is the paperclip stays put.

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:57 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.