• In total there are 45 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What are you reading these days?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bob717
Getting Comfortable

Re: What are you reading these days?

Unread post

Re-reading of War and Peace, hah.
Last edited by bob717 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KevinMcCabe
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Can you give us a short summary of Rhonda Byrne The Secret Series Collection 4?
Academic writer, university lecturer and blogger based in London
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I just finished reading "The Medusa Chronicles" by Stephen Baxter and Alastair Reynolds. It is a sequel or sorts to Arthur C. Clarke's novella, "A Meeting with Medusa."

I am currently looking for something new to read; doesn't have to be science fiction or even fiction, just interesting (no romance novels, please). Any sugsestions?
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
KevinMcCabe
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Dexter wrote:Hey guys, sorry I lost touch with the forum again. So, how about that Trump, eh?
How about Trump?
Academic writer, university lecturer and blogger based in London
princesscookie19
Experienced

Unread post

Iv finished "The black sheep" and now I am on "Sleeping beauties " I like short stories too. :)

Currently Reading - Daisy War Chain.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

I always keep a book in the truck, so I can read if I get stuck somewhere unexpectedly. Lately I've been enjoying this one. Botkin put out several of these books...Southern folklore, New England, Mississippi River, Railroad, Civil War. Bits and pieces from various old publications. Fascinating reading.

Benjamin A. Botkin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_A._Botkin
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Just started reading "First Man," the biography of Neil Armstron. May have to shelve it for a while if I joing the disussion of the current (Or is it next) non-fiction, "American Character."
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
bob717
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Some days I have a desire to read big poems, but sometimes want to read little essay-style writing works. It all depends on the mood. I wonder where all these writers get their improvisation abilities for all these books. By the way, recently when I needed to compose an essay for my college needs, I didn't waste a second of my time and simply ordered that paper work from essay writer, who has PhD degree and works in writing industry for years, and his years of experience says for himself.
Last edited by bob717 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob717
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:Image

I always keep a book in the truck, so I can read if I get stuck somewhere unexpectedly. Lately I've been enjoying this one. Botkin put out several of these books...Southern folklore, New England, Mississippi River, Railroad, Civil War. Bits and pieces from various old publications. Fascinating reading.
Oh yeah, that's a nice one, thanks for sharing!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:Just started reading "First Man," the biography of Neil Armstron. May have to shelve it for a while if I joing the disussion of the current (Or is it next) non-fiction, "American Character."
Did you see the movie, Cattleman? I suspect you wouldn't before reading the book. But fwiiw, I thought the film was very good and not fully appreciated by critics and the public.

I just read one published this month called "The Gods of the Upper Air." It's about the anthropologist Franz Boas and four of his female students at Columbia, one of whom was Margaret Mead. Boas determined through research that race is a myth. The book is much more engrossing than my description makes it sound.

Return to “Everything Else”