• In total there are 25 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

I am a new user, and a newbie when it comes to poetry. What is a good poem/ poetry book.

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
TheAwkwardBotanist
Getting Comfortable

I am a new user, and a newbie when it comes to poetry. What is a good poem/ poetry book.

Unread post

I am in a deep search for some good poetry, any ideas and/or suggestions? Please help! :cry_baby: :thanks2:
armenia2012
Getting Comfortable

Re: I am a new user, and a newbie when it comes to poetry. What is a good poem/ poetry book.

Unread post

I have written a very good book of poems and songs Called Soup for the Soul of the Servant available on Amazon in print and kindle. If you like faith based poems this is the book for you!! You will definitely get ideas for how to write poems from reading this book. May I also recommend joining poetrysoup.com to get ideas on writing poems. Hope this helps.
Sal_McCoy
Creative Writing Student

Re: I am a new user, and a newbie when it comes to poetry. What is a good poem/ poetry book.

Unread post

For future reference:

How does a poem mean? by John Ciardi.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

This might strike the OP as odd, but I would suggest Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses. The tone is breezy throughout, the themes easy to appreciate, and most important of all, sound and rhythm are strongly emphasized.
Opheliasviolets
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Though English is not my mother tongue i fancy reading English poems or poetic novels in my own language.However,i'd like to read the original texts.It was not so hard to read Waves from Woolf unlike Mrs.Dollaway.So i'd be glad to receive your suggestions.I was also delighted in Lord Byron yet some phrases-i assume medieval English-made it difficult for me to understand the passages unmistakably.So i can only read if it's in modern English.
Last edited by Opheliasviolets on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Where to start? So many poets, so many poems. Romance, inspirational, adventure. Do you have a public library close? If so, go check out the poetry shelve (if you have trouble, ask a librarian, that is why they are there). Or, go on line (you are obviously somewhat familier with the internet). Look uder "Poetry." Or, try some famous poets. Robert Browning, Elizbeth Barrett Brownng, Emily Dickinson, Alfred, Lory Tennyson, Walt Whitman, Rudyard Kipling (my personal favorite), Robert Frost, Carl Sandburg, more. Check back if you need more guidance (I have been reading for over 70 years - that's right -70)
Last edited by Cattleman on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Professor Palgrave's Golden Treasury

How to Read a Poem: And Fall in Love with Poetry by Edward Hirsch
Last edited by Litwitlou on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
KevinMcCabe
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Try Omar Khayyam?
Academic writer, university lecturer and blogger based in London
The Bookworm
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I think Wilfred Owen's poems are fascinating and definitely captivating. My personal favourite works of his is "Dulce Et Decorum Est, and "Insensibility." These certainly highlight the horrendous ways of war in a rather graphic way (but also rather important way, so people knew the reality of war) , but if you like poems about real-life events and disasters he might be the poet for you.
If you're not really that type, I would recommend "How happy is the little stone," by Emily Dickinson. I love this poem - it shows the view of "happiness" through a stone in the road, which I thought was interesting.

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”