• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

173 Declared Democratic Presidential Candidates

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: 173 Declared Democratic Presidential Candidates

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:. . . Obama's first official act as president was to seal his personal records. He signed an Executive Order doing that on Jan 21, the day after he was sworn in.
There's simply nothing true about this statement.
-Geo
Question everything
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

The statement is entirely true. Executive Order 13489. Look it up. Obama's first official act was to tamper with presidential records. He did it as a favor for George W. Bush, who had done the same for Bill Clinton. But Barry made sure that in his E.O. he could keep his records secret as he went along (He tweaked the incumbent/former wording to include himself). The media played this up as "transparency," but you know, it's the media.

Tonight's Democratic debate was pretty amusing. Biden was awake this time. Maybe his son Hunter gave him some of the good stuff to smoke before the cameras rolled. Kamala Harris gets rattled pretty easily. They ganged up on her about her record as Atty General in California. I thought she was going to puke on her lectern. Andrew Yang wants to buy my vote for a thousand bucks a month. And they all hate those racists. Even Segregation Joe hates that racist Trump.

I guess Inslee took the prize as tonight's biggest loon. He delivered my favorite line. When they were each describing their healthcare plans, Inslee said something like, "And this should appeal to Democrats, my plan includes mental health care." He actually got applause with that, instead of laughter.

Those are the faces that were on the stage tonight. Some of them won't be there for the next go-round, though all of them made a dot com or dot org pitch at then end of their closing statements.

Last night's debate was much better. Marianne Williamson won that one:

Who Is Yodeling Presidential Hopeful Marianne Williamson?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Wow7hFZt8
Last edited by KindaSkolarly on Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:So you don't think the Indonesian school system can fill out a name blank and a religion blank accurately? Are they too stooopid? Sounds a bit racist to me.
Just to indulge in a bit of speculation, I would point out that Indonesia has had two spasms of genocidal attacks on the Chinese minority, one in the last 25 years. The Chinese, who mostly identify as Christian, own the bulk of the large corporations in Indonesia, and are resented as oppressors of ordinary Indonesians. It strikes me as entirely plausible that a stepfather in Indonesia would declare his stepson to be Muslim, either from an aspiration to raise him in the father's religion or from a hope of blending in with the vast majority rather than being a target for resentment. Of course, with limited language skills in Bahasa Indonesia, Obama would probably not have been put in local public schools, but even in an English-language private school, he could be vulnerable.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:I always enjoy reading your comments on economics.
Why, thank you. Happy to oblige.
KindaSkolarly wrote:The fiat system is dying. I read the other day that there are now more $100 bills in circulation than $1 bills. Print print print.
My students have always had trouble getting their mind around the fact that printing is no longer a significant part of the process. The Central Banks can simply add money to their balance sheet, with no need for permission, by increasing a number in an electronic record. That process is accountable - the executive branch reviews their accounts regularly (I would bet on weekly, but it could very well be daily) and Congress gives them a glance or two when the Fed Chairman testifies. Twice a year? Or quarterly? I forget.

The great experiment in monetary policy that was Quantitative Easing (QE), following the 2008 collapse of Lehman Brothers and subsequent crisis, upended many doctrines about money. Most of Dear Leader's nominees to the Fed have been from the ultra-conservative end and confidently backed the WSJ prediction of high inflation from the QE expansion of the money supply. The inflation did not materialize because the Keynesian version was the correct one: the money has to somehow translate into demand for goods before companies will raise prices. (Krugman had an interesting comment to the effect that the inconsistency of these arch-conservatives who are now promoting easy money is easy to explain since they never adopted their old views out of conviction but simply from careerism. If you are an economist with little to distinguish you from the pack, the easiest route to a decent salary may be backing arch-conservative doctrine, since there are billionaires out there endowing stink-tanks to spout their nonsense.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/13/opin ... trump.html ).

The strict monetarists have, for the most part, not recanted their doctrine, nor do they have alternative explanations for what happened. It is notable that the Fed did not invent QE - the Japanese during the lost decade of the 90s first showed that the Keynesian story was correct, but the conservative response was mumbling to the effect that Japanese economics is different for some mysterious reason. Sort of like how Japan puts tariffs on outside rice, not because the farmers need protection to prop up their incomes, but because Japanese rice is unique.

Some conservative monetarists, notably John Taylor at Stanford, have in fact admitted that the Keynesians had it right. Those who cared about having their opinions taken seriously by the profession have had to face the facts. But the nasty secret of the economics profession is that the imperatives of publishing research have maintained an enormous momentum for the models which impose equilibrium despite the fact that economists know equilibrium to be inaccurate in a serious recession. Krugman professed to be baffled by this when he commented on it, but there is nothing at all mysterious about it.

So anyway, the reason fiat money doesn't collapse is that there is no viable alternative as a means of exchange and a store of value. Even when governments cut loose and created hyperinflation by paying most of their bills with fiat money, as with Russia in the 90s, the substitute adopted was not gold but "hard money" such as dollars and Deutsche marks whose governments behaved themselves.
KindaSkolarly wrote:The Mormon bunker sounds good. I'll take one of those.
Think of it as an insurance policy. Not too costly, if you skimp on the concrete. I won't be getting one myself.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:So you don't think the Indonesian school system can fill out a name blank and a religion blank accurately? Are they too stooopid? Sounds a bit racist to me.
Your point escapes me, but I'll move on. What I was hoping for was some indication of the significance of this form. Even if we grant that Obama was legally adopted, why is it significant that this 6-year-old's name is given as Soetoro and his religion as Muslim? Is it that for you and your community, this is the tip of an iceberg? Below the waterline, what do you find? If one belief is that Obama is conducting Muslim jihad against the U.S., well, that's just nuts. There are, by the way, nutty theories about Donald Trump I would never subscribe to. What both species of theory have in common is the way they glide past the simple, commonplace explanations for apparent discrepancies, in favor of the exotic ones that are so much more fun (and sometimes profitable).
Obama's first official act as president was to seal his personal records. He signed an Executive Order doing that on Jan 21, the day after he was sworn in. Fortunately we have some bits and pieces that escaped that action. Obama's a man of many parts, pieced together by the CIA in the wilds of the Pacific. Hopefully we'll get the truth about him someday.
We have FactCheck.org, thankfully, to tell us that this "sealing" of records is fiction.
They're all bashing Trump for his "racist" comments about Baltimore--while black people are thanking him for drawing attn to their desperate plight. Trump seems to have figured out that he needs to run his race against the failed Democratic Party, not against whichever figurehead they pick for the sinking ship. All of the major rat- and crime-infested cities in America are run by Democrats. Trump could go from now to election day picking on on those cities, like scabs, to show the festering body of Democrat-run America.
Of course they're blasting him. You should be, too. It's with a sense of unreality that we try to wrap our minds around the fact that this man is president of our country, yet mostly interested in attacking the country he's supposed to love so much. Where is the evidence of the great outpouring of support Trump has received from African Americans? That's fiction, too.

Does Trump ever blast his rural strongholds for their rates of poverty (many much higher that of Cumings' district) and their high crime rates? He continues to rely on the language of contamination and infestation to dehumanize a large part of the citizenry (and non-citizenry, of course).
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Barry Soetoro deserves a fair trial for treason & crimes against humanity, then life in prison. Same as the Clintons, same as George W. Bush. Same as Donald Trump if he imposes embargoes on Iran and then wages war on the country for circumventing those embargoes.

We only have one party in America (the moneyed party), and both Democrats and Republicans serve it. Trump bought his way to the table with his own money, and voters took a chance with him. We're hoping that, not being dependent on corporate donations, he will make decisions based on what's good for the country.

The leftist talking points about Baltimore and such are the gibberings of zombies. Trump criticizes black and white, but the leftist media only goes apeshit when it can turn the criticism into a racial story. This is arch-racist Soetoro's legacy--the pinhead, pinpoint focus on race. And Factcheck.org? Really? That's owned by the Annenberg Foundation, a leftist outfit. Factcheck.org's purpose is to validate lies.

A list of the most rat-infested cities in America. All but one are managed by the Demon-rats:

1. Chicago, Illinois (Dem)
2. Los Angeles, California (Dem)
3. New York, New York (Dem)
4. Washington, DC (Dem)
5. San Francisco, California (Dem)
6. Detroit, Michigan (Dem)
7. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Dem)
8. Cleveland, Ohio (Dem)
9. Baltimore, Maryland (Dem)
10. Denver, Colorado (Dem)
11. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota (Dem)
12. Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas (Dem)
13. Boston, Massachusetts (Dem)
14. Seattle, Washington (Dem)
15. Atlanta, Georgia (Dem)
16. Indianapolis, Indiana (Dem)
17. Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Florida (Repub)
18. Hartford, Connecticut (Dem)
19. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Dem)
20. Cincinnati, Ohio (Dem)
21. Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Dem)
22. Charlotte, North Carolina (Dem)
23. Houston, Texas (Dem)
24. Portland, Oregon (Dem)
25. Columbus, Ohio (Dem)

https://grrrgraphics.com/democrat-cities

EDIT: Sometimes I listen to Michael Savage. He's a conservative radio commentator who lives in liberal San Francisco (#5 on the list above). On his show of 7-29-19 he describes looking out the window of a restaurant and seeing somebody on the street drop his pants and... Well, it put him off his feed.

tunein.com/podcasts/Conservative-Talk/T ... on-p20626/

it would seem that Democrats have been tasked with destroying America one city at a time.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote: 1. Chicago, Illinois (Dem)
2. Los Angeles, California (Dem)
3. New York, New York (Dem)
4. Washington, DC (Dem)
5. San Francisco, California (Dem)

And yet these are the cities which Americans and tourists from all over the world visit most. They have the art museums, the ballet, the opera, the symphony orchestras, the finest musicians in the world from every genre play the night spots, professional sports, Michelin Star restaurants and the world's best pizza. They have galleries, monuments, the theater, and Shakespeare in the Park.

Four of the five are on an ocean coast.

Cal Tech, USC, UCLA, Berkeley, Juilliard, Loyola, Northwestern, Georgetown, George Washington, American, Stanford, the cream of Ivy League Universities are in blue states, my friend. These are the cities with the finest hospitals and doctors in the world.

Haters gonna hate, but take these cities away and the United States is half the country it was.
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote: And Factcheck.org? Really? That's owned by the Annenberg Foundation, a leftist outfit. Factcheck.org's purpose is to validate lies.
FactCheck.org handled Trump's claim that that Obama isn't a native-born citizen, and apparently helped prove the opposite so effectively that even Trump gave up denying that Obama was native-born--while trying to have us believe that Clinton started the rumors of his foreign birth! Whether a fact-check org is fulfilling its mission is simple: does it delve into matters of sensitivity to all political factions? And yes, FactCheck.org clearly does. Branding it "leftist" in order to invalidate its work doesn't cut it. FactCheck.org has bona fides that would be the envy of your stable of trusted sources.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

KS wrote:Executive Order 13489. Look it up. Obama's first official act was to tamper with presidential records.
I did. That executive order does not say what you claim. It does not seal Obama's records. It does not tamper with records or seal Bush's documents. It states the process for handling claims of executive privilege.
KS wrote:And Factcheck.org? Really? That's owned by the Annenberg Foundation, a leftist outfit. Factcheck.org's purpose is to validate lies.
When confirming one's own biases, it is critical to dismiss non-conforming information preemptively so it remains unseen, preventing any erosion in the sandy foundations of delusion.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote: And Factcheck.org? Really? That's owned by the Annenberg Foundation, a leftist outfit. Factcheck.org's purpose is to validate lies.
Well, you made the claim that Obama's order was intended to "seal his personal records" then later amended it to say that Obama's first official act was "to tamper with presidential records. He did it as a favor for George W. Bush, who had done the same for Bill Clinton. But Barry made sure that in his E.O. he could keep his records secret as he went along."

None of this is remotely true and you cannot provide any evidence to support this claim.

And, yet, since you did make the claim, the burden of proof is entirely on you. So please point to the language in the executive order or provide any credible source that backs up your claim. We're all waiting.

Executive Order 12667 here:
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/th ... al-records

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_12667
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Current Events & History”