• In total there are 33 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Is it moral for our governments to impose poverty on us?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Re: Is it moral for our governments to impose poverty on us?

Unread post

Litwitlou wrote:That was sarcasm. For the record, I do not believe it's the government's job to help the rich stay rich. I'm surprised, and a bit saddened, that the statement was taken seriously.
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Perhaps if you worked on the delivery and would remember that on the net, you will find all kinds of stupidity.
I do not mean that in any personal way.
I myself try not to use sarcasm without naming it so as many have misunderstood mine.

Regards
DL
No, I don't think it's my delivery. "It is the job of the government to ensure the rich stay rich." If someone can't tell that's sarcasm I'm not responsible. I will, however, stop correcting posts that take ridiculous statements seriously. As for stupidity... the gods themselves...[/quote]

You forget that I think our politicians are owned by our oligarch owners, so I would obviously give reality to what I see as a possible truth.

You are not as good a writer as you think if you do not consider the mind set you are trying to amuse.

Regards
DL
stephen martin fritz
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

We are living in the most opulent time in human history. The biggest problem faced by poor people in western cultures of obesity. They get too much to eat while laving little or no exercise to do. In America the lower 30% pay no income taxes and actually receive money back as a tax-rebate welfare program.

The poor today live better than kings lived throughout most of history. No king from the middle ages could drive down a street in a car where he controlled the temperature around him and had a symphony at his fingertips.

No King could cure the mildest infection or ease his toothaches or get the fleas out of his own beard and every one of them had many of their children die in their arms from untreatable childhood diseases.

The amusing thing is not that we are all FANTASTICALLY RICHER THAN THE GODS WERE EVER IMAGINED TO BE.

The interesting thing is how so many of us still want to imagine we are poor or who are compelled to recite the age-old mantra: The rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer.

It is a psychological anomaly that tells us something about the human mind. It is NOT FACTS that matter but our TRUTHS.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

stephen martin fritz wrote:
The poor today live better than kings lived throughout most of history. .
Name the kings you know of that were homeless and whose income was close to what the graph in the O.P. shows.

Regards
DL
stephen martin fritz
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The "homeless" people you speak of are homeless due to their own addictions of mental illnesses. They are surrounded by the opulence they could be taking part of.

You are writing on this computer ... you are not homeless. So are you (and the others on this site) somehow being propped up by conspiring bankers and your millionaire daddies exploiting the poor? Or did the people on this site just happen to be born with extraordinary talent or brains?

These "homeless" people are "homeless" not because they did not have the same opportunities you and I enjoy. They are not being KEPT DOWN. Their shortcoming is from within their own character or habits or genetics.

Go to the heroine addict sprawled out on the street corner and ask him if he'd be king in the year 1199 when he'd be expected to ride into battle on horseback without his heroine.

My guess is that he'll stay on his corner.

Just as he could get a job today if he had the drive ... but he'll stay sprawled out under his newspaper.

The question should be reworded: IS IT MORAL TO IMPOSE POVERTY ON YOURSELF?
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

stephen martin fritz wrote:The "homeless" people you speak of are homeless due to their own addictions of mental illnesses. They are surrounded by the opulence they could be taking part of.

You are writing on this computer ... you are not homeless. So are you (and the others on this site) somehow being propped up by conspiring bankers and your millionaire daddies exploiting the poor? Or did the people on this site just happen to be born with extraordinary talent or brains?

These "homeless" people are "homeless" not because they did not have the same opportunities you and I enjoy. They are not being KEPT DOWN. Their shortcoming is from within their own character or habits or genetics.

Go to the heroine addict sprawled out on the street corner and ask him if he'd be king in the year 1199 when he'd be expected to ride into battle on horseback without his heroine.

My guess is that he'll stay on his corner.

Just as he could get a job today if he had the drive ... but he'll stay sprawled out under his newspaper.

The question should be reworded: IS IT MORAL TO IMPOSE POVERTY ON YOURSELF?
So people die from exposure due to their own failings and you don't care because you think we all have the same opportunities, which is an outright lie.
I get how you think.

Now. To the question, if I might ask you to focus.

Ghandi and other moral thinkers think it immoral for a government to do as that graph shows, imposing poverty.

Do you think it a moral thing to do even if as you think, those people are their by their own lack of initiative?

Regards
DL
stephen martin fritz
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I may be a little dense, but please explain to me how government IMPOSES poverty.

Obviously government did not IMPOSE poverty on me and it apparently was not IMPOSED upon you.

So who is it imposed upon and how is it imposed?

Thank you for being patient with me!
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

stephen martin fritz wrote:I may be a little dense, but please explain to me how government IMPOSES poverty.

Obviously government did not IMPOSE poverty on me and it apparently was not IMPOSED upon you.

So who is it imposed upon and how is it imposed?

Thank you for being patient with me!
Look at the graph in the O.P. while remembering the huge tax gift Trump gave to his rich friends when he first took office.

Now you see how a lot of wealth was moved to the rich as pictured in the graph.

That shows you graphically how tax laws contributed to the poverty of the poor and also tells/shows you how easily a change in the tax laws would redress the (stealing) the rich have been doing thanks to their bought and paid for political lackeys.

I hope this helped.

Regards
DL

Return to “Current Events & History”