• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

173 Declared Democratic Presidential Candidates

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Re: 173 Declared Democratic Presidential Candidates

Unread post

It looks as if the big dog, Biden, may be planning to bid us adieu:

Biden planning to drop out of 2020 presidential race due to health concerns: Report
naturalnews.com/2019-07-14-biden-to-dro ... cerns.html

And Trump has managed through skill or dumb luck to give the Democrats a new face. With his latest tweet storm he shoved the four junior House members known as "The Squad" to the forefront of the Democratic Party.

These four were elected to represent their districts, not run national policy, yet they've thrust themselves onto the national stage. They may not make it to another two-year term. Alexandria Octasio-Cortez seems to be in serious trouble. The first thing she did in congress was to kill a deal that would have employed thousands back in her home district in New York. I think that was part of her "Green New Deal." A former bartender and junior congresswoman released a plan to save the planet which, if we don't adopt, will mean the end of humanity in 12 years. She said that. She's that insane. And she cost the home voters a bunch of jobs. Plus, she now has a serious opponent on the Republican side.

Republican Immigrant From Jamaica to Challenge AOC For Congressional Seat
https://www.infowars.com/republican-imm ... onal-seat/

I like this woman. I think she could get elected in my district, which is wall to wall redneck.

So Cortez will soon be tending bar again, and one of the other Squad members may be deported. Ilhan Omar has serious problems, some of which are described in the 3-minute video below. Because of her anti-American rhetoric I wouldn't be surprised if the Department of Justice investigates her. And if any of the allegations in the video are proven to be true, then she could be deported:

Episode 1: The Secrets of Ilhan Omar
youtube.com/watch?v=nnVZ6tXAJ_U&fea ... e=youtu.be

I expect the Republicans will now keep shaking these anti-American Squad members at us, and any serious presidential contender on the Democratic side will be linked to them.

Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Too early to tell who will emerge from the Democrat's array of aspirants. I'm hoping for a woman. I always vote for women. I think that if at least 65% of elected officials were women the world would be a better place. Now I'm going to be battered by Hilary haters, which is fine, I'm no fan hers. I'm speaking generally.
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Litwitlou wrote:Too early to tell who will emerge from the Democrat's array of aspirants. I'm hoping for a woman. I always vote for women. I think that if at least 65% of elected officials were women the world would be a better place. Now I'm going to be battered by Hilary haters, which is fine, I'm no fan hers. I'm speaking generally.
I am actually a fan of Hilary, though I can list about 10 things I was dissatisfied with her about. The biggest was that she lost. I mean really, if you are going to rig debates and run dirty tricks about Bernie, the least you could do is find a way to kick the Big Narcissist in the nuts.

In general my dissatisfaction with her was for her trying to break the glass ceiling on her husband's coattails. How demeaning to women in politics. She was enough of a politician to get elected Senator from New York, but it was never from any magnetic attraction to voters. She never had the magic, she never had the fire in her belly, and it's no wonder she lost to the most unpopular candidate since George McGovern.

Which brings us to Kamala Harris. Her "hurting" message about busing was considered a great breakthrough for taking on Biden, but if she continues in that vein she is not only not going to get the nomination, she is going to blow what little advantage she got from raising a losing issue to position herself on the emotional left. Maybe she is hoping to inherit Bernie's voters, I don't know. But if she doesn't follow with more substance in the next debates, look for a sag.

Liz Warren is brilliant, as I said. She has gone after issues on substance that a lot of people didn't even realize mattered. We could count on her to fix problems that have been simmering for 20 to 40 years. Her innovative approaches, like insisting that companies wanting to benefit from U.S. government research make commitments to do the production here are the sort of thing that the Bill Clinton administration could really have used, instead of his little shuffle for the bond markets whenever anybody's feathers got ruffled.

At the same time she has, in my view, taken too many positions that are too far to the left. I don't think for a minute that she sounds loony. In fact she can convince people that Medicare for All is a great healthcare breakthrough even when they started out thinking that was too goofy to consider. But she doesn't have the ability to connect to working people that Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders had/have. She could do herself a lot of good by soft-pedaling the plans for a while - that point has been made and nobody really doubts her wonkiness credentials. Instead she needs a narrative about opportunity and giving people a chance. I heard hints of it in the first debate. But she is still sounding better on a critique of the lopsided, rigged economy than on understanding where ordinary people are coming from, what are their aspirations and discouragements.

Since I want appeal for the center, my hopes for a woman candidate are more or less resting on Amy Klobuchar. She did a good job of making her main appeals in the first debate, but left a lot of people wondering how she is any different. Okay, she can win in Red districts, but how does that work, exactly? What is the appeal? Saying "common sense" is still generalities. It leaves me wondering if she has the fire that Harris and Warren have. Is she just hoping Biden will melt away and she will inherit the center? I don't think it works that way, when you don't start out as a national figure and there are so many people saying so many things. A coherent narrative that really sells moderation would do her worlds of good, but she needs advisers like Mayor Pete and Kamala Harris has, to really ring any of those chimes. I would advise her to read David Brooks religiously, and adopt his themes with her own adaptations.

So here's the deal. I think a woman candidate can win, but not by running as a woman. Just like Obama benefited from lots of black voters proud of his ethnicity, but did not ever ask for such, any woman candidate who is going to win will have to appeal just the same way any male candidate does. I am not saying she has to lose her individuality or personality, only that she has the same burdens of connecting with people, unifying the message, and engaging with substance. Frankly I don't think any of the Dem candidates are scoring that hat trick as of yet. The closest is Sanders. The good news is that they will be facing the most unpopular candidate since Barry Goldwater.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Litwitlou wrote:Too early to tell who will emerge from the Democrat's array of aspirants. I'm hoping for a woman. I always vote for women. I think that if at least 65% of elected officials were women the world would be a better place. Now I'm going to be battered by Hilary haters, which is fine, I'm no fan hers. I'm speaking generally.
You might get your wish to vote for a woman. They've been working hard to turn Michelle Obama into a silk purse. Just last week she was held up as a fashion plate:

Anna Wintour's Response to Question About Melania Trump's Fashion Is Making Headlines!
justjared.com/2019/07/22/anna-wintours- ... headlines/

Also last week we were told that Michelle Obama is the most admired woman in the world:

duckduckgo.com/?q=michelle+obama+most+a ... mp;ia=news

Michelle Obama is a hideous America-hater (probably hates the country more than her husband does, if that's possible), but we're being told she's beautiful and admired. I wouldn't be surprised if she's offered up as a compromise candidate at the Democratic Convention. I'm sure that Barry Soetoro (also known as Barack Hussein Obama), would love to continue his jihad against America as First Husband.

But why should the Democrats even RUN a candidate when Trump's doing their work for them? Illegal immigration is up on his watch (campaign promise broken), and the new budget is a bipartisan bank-breaker (campaign promise broken):

Some people say that Trump's just trying to make sure the US doesn't lurch ahead in the race to the economic bottom. Humanity's fiat paper money system is on its last legs. The big 3 in the system are the US, China and the EU. China has bad problems and it's running out of options. Its economy could implode soon. But I suspect the EU will beat it to the punch. Deutsch Bank may go under soon, and it'll take Europe with it. Boris Johnson in his first speech as the new British PM said that he WILL pull Britain out of the EU on Oct 31, so maybe the next Great Depression will be blamed on that. But there won't be any coming back from this depression. Buy guns and gold while you can.

Is This What Has Got the Fed So Spooked?
gainspainscapital.com/2019/07/22/is-thi ... o-spooked/

At any rate, our next president has already been chosen. Trump has failed to rein in the tech giants, so they will pick the next boss. Our two-party system is really just one party. Trump CRASHED the party (for real, an upset victory), but that won't be allowed to happen again. If he serves a second term it will be because he's been allowed to by Silicon Valley. Maybe that's why he's indicated approval for increasing the number of foreign technical workers allowed into the US:

US Congress to vote Green Card bill, Indian H-1B visa holders to benefit
livemint.com/news/india/us-congress-to- ... 86579.html

Those are jobs that could go to Americans (Trump campaign promise), but the robber barons in the tech industry hate America, so perhaps Trump is throwing them a bone by giving them slave labor from India.

Dismal proceedings all around, but Joe Biden is holding the moral high ground:

At least he's been consistent over the years:

DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote: I'm sure that Barry Soetoro (also known as Barack Hussein Obama), would love to continue his jihad against America as First Husband.
What's with the fixation on "Barry Soetoro?" What's the dark significance of a kid using a nickname and picking up the surname of a man his mom was married to for a time? I can make a guess from your pointed inclusion of the middle name and the reference to jihad, but please, enlighten me.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Obama's mother's second husband, Lolo Soetoro, legally adopted young Obama. Obama's legal name became Barry Soetoro. He attended school as Barry Soetoro (and as a Mulim) in Indonesia:

There is no legal paperwork showing that he ever changed his name back to Barack Obama.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:Humanity's fiat paper money system is on its last legs.
I have seen such warnings for more decades than I have been a professional economist. The proposed chains of events never materialize, because the forecasters don't know what they are talking about. In the more unusual case of Nouriel Roubini predicting the end of the real estate bubble in 2008 and its dire consequences, he actually did know what he was talking about. The information was kicking around, as Michael Lewis recounted in The Big Short, but the Wall Street (and London and Frankfurt) bankers were determined to squeeze their eyes shut harder and pretend there was no problem.

No such corresponding set of disaster signals exist for some kind of crash today. If Dear Leader's anti-globalism was going to cause a collapse, we would probably already see signs of it.
KindaSkolarly wrote: China has bad problems and it's running out of options. Its economy could implode soon.
China's overextension of credit has been supposed to be a disaster waiting to happen since at least 1995. McKinsey forecast it in the early 00's, and they are a serious bunch. Evidently, however, we have a lot to learn about how credit is rationed, and bailed out, in a one-party state. We are hearing dire predictions again because some property investment is going bust and their growth rate is down to (Gasp!) 5 percent or lower. I have still not heard any rational analysis about how a crash is supposed to be generated by their problems. If anything I suspect that their equity-based and speculation-resistant business sector will surprise a new cohort of analysts with the ability to ride out the Trump crisis with ease. The supposedly untenable debt burden is held by the State Owned Enterprises, and those can be opened and closed with the ease of government agencies. So far the government's ability to print money for any liquidity crisis has not been abused and seems to have plenty of room for expansion without a threat of inflation.
KindaSkolarly wrote:But I suspect the EU will beat it to the punch. Deutsch Bank may go under soon, and it'll take Europe with it.
Deutsche Bank has certainly been lurching from one tight spot to another since even before the 2008 crisis, but their loan portfolio is concentrated in the most solid manufacturing sector in the world, and I would be truly shocked to see them fail. Germany's property sector has a big problem: rising demand has outpaced the country's ability to negotiate a lid on price increases. Financial crises are not born of such problems.
KindaSkolarly wrote:Boris Johnson in his first speech as the new British PM said that he WILL pull Britain out of the EU on Oct 31, so maybe the next Great Depression will be blamed on that.
Large scale crises do not simply emerge from headlines like Athena out of Zeus's head. Britain will live through some problems in the next year or two, but there is no reason to expect them to lead to a crisis, especially outside the U.K.
KindaSkolarly wrote:But there won't be any coming back from this depression. Buy guns and gold while you can.
The biggest source of economic trouble on the horizon is climate change, and gold will definitely not help with that. For that matter, guns won't solve the problem of drought either, though it might be prudent these days to have a Mormon basement filled with emergency supplies.
KindaSkolarly wrote:Is This What Has Got the Fed So Spooked?
The Fed is hardly spooked, though they have revised their forecasts downward significantly in the last 6 months, and all indications are they have it right. I just heard a Fed economist do a once-over-lightly on the economy, and his take is that there is a backlog of demand for up-to-date equipment and we can look forward to a surge in capital formation (finally, if so: it has been notably absent as a response to the corporate tax cut) soon. That is at least as likely as any crash.
KindaSkolarly wrote:If he serves a second term it will be because he's been allowed to by Silicon Valley. Maybe that's why he's indicated approval for increasing the number of foreign technical workers allowed into the US:
Silicon Valley loves their H-1B's, but they are long since able to substitute subcontracting to get the work done by smart Indians and Filipinos, and probably Chinese and Taiwanese as well, though the Taiwanese make as much or more as a programmer or engineer in Chicago.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

I always enjoy reading your comments on economics.

The fiat system is dying. I read the other day that there are now more $100 bills in circulation than $1 bills. Print print print. It can't go on forever. And you're right that Trump's anti-globalism is hardly a contributing factor. His opponents are eager to blame a fiscal catastrophe on his tariffs, but the tariffs are just a bubble in the cauldron.

We shall see on China and/or Europe collapsing. I do think that they'll try to make Boris Johnson the scapegoat for something, and it could be an economic problem.

The Mormon bunker sounds good. I'll take one of those. Especially now, with the hinky weather in the western US. Drought then floods, millions of animals lost. And I read the other day that 12% fewer crops have been planted this year in the midwest, because of inundated farmland. That'll mean higher food prices and food shortages.

At any rate, back to the election. 6-minute video about the power of Big Tech to swing elections. this should be a concern to ALL Americans, regardless of political stripe. Amazing numbers:

Liberal Professor Warns: Google Manipulating Voters 'on a Massive Scale'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNvgl38TLvI
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:Obama's mother's second husband, Lolo Soetoro, legally adopted young Obama. Obama's legal name became Barry Soetoro. He attended school as Barry Soetoro (and as a Mulim) in Indonesia:

There is no legal paperwork showing that he ever changed his name back to Barack Obama.
Where is the proof of legal adoption, speaking of legal paperwork? His stepfather would not need to show documentation of adoption in order to put Barry's name down as Soetoro. That he gives his 6-year-old stepson's religion as "Islam" lacks all significance in terms of Obama's later life. When his mom divorces Soetoro six years later, it would have been she who would need to change his name back to Obama, if indeed Soetoro had changed it legally in Indonesia. Let's say for argument's sake that Barry was legally Soetoro in Indonesia and that his mom later neglected to complete paperwork negating that. Then you have a mere technicality, the way I would see it. Barack Obama would not have lost his U.S. citizenship had he been legally adopted by a citizen of Indonesia (which, I assume, is the important matter at hand). Then, back in Hawaii as Obama, at the age of 18 it's not on his radar to correct some old record existing in Indonesia. All of that happened when he was a kid and unaware of what was going on. So, even if he really was adopted by Lolo (no direct evidence), it seems churlish at best to insist that he should be known as Barry Soetoro. To point to the word "Islam" on the school form as proof of his true religion is a joke. He is a legal citizen of the U.S with a multicultural background, disturbing to a part of the U.S. population. Anyway, that's the way I see it, admittedly having spent only a little time on the matter.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

So you don't think the Indonesian school system can fill out a name blank and a religion blank accurately? Are they too stooopid? Sounds a bit racist to me.

Obama's first official act as president was to seal his personal records. He signed an Executive Order doing that on Jan 21, the day after he was sworn in. Fortunately we have some bits and pieces that escaped that action. Obama's a man of many parts, pieced together by the CIA in the wilds of the Pacific. Hopefully we'll get the truth about him someday.

The Democratic debate is on. Arch-racist Don Lemon of CNN is questioning the 10 Dems, all of whom are white, and all of whom are stumbling over one another to denounce white people.

They're all bashing Trump for his "racist" comments about Baltimore--while black people are thanking him for drawing attn to their desperate plight. Trump seems to have figured out that he needs to run his race against the failed Democratic Party, not against whichever figurehead they pick for the sinking ship. All of the major rat- and crime-infested cities in America are run by Democrats. Trump could go from now to election day picking on on those cities, like scabs, to show the festering body of Democrat-run America.

Oh, man these debating Dems are nuts. They're blatantly lying about reality. I hope they do the sieg heil salute again, like they did last time, when they all raised their hands in favor of free healthcare for illegals. 30 million destitute in America, but the Dems want to give illegals free healthcare. I hope Lemon asks them a hand-waving question, maybe about gun control. Yeah, raise your hands to take away guns. That'll rake in the votes.

Return to “Current Events & History”