• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Happy 4th of July

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Happy 4th of July

Unread post

On July 4, 1776, American colonists declared their intent to separate from Britain. Today we use fireworks to commemorate the gun and cannon fire that followed.

The role of an armed citizenry was so vital in establishing the country that the right to bear arms was guaranteed by the second amendment to the U.S. constitution. The amendment reminds us that we’re born with the right to bear arms, and government cannot take them away.

Anyway, that’s what I’ll tell kids at the fireworks show tonight.

Happy Independence Day everybody.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Happy 4th of July

Unread post

Great post! Thank you.

I understand that the right to bear arms, bare arms and even the right to arm bears is an important Constitutional right found in the 2nd Amendment. But I do think that the Amendment was written at a time before AK-47's and other truly lethal weapons were developed and made readily available to the citizenry. I'm still undecided on where I stand with gun rights. While I do support the right to have guns there does seem to be a need to moderate this right with commonsense laws.

It looks like fireworks might be canceled for us here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. It is storming pretty hard out there right now and I don't see that ending anytime soon.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

I read that computer-controlled drones are being used somewhere out west, where there are drought conditions. Little drones with lights, flying in programmed patterns. I hope somebody posts a video of that.

Wish we had your storms here. It is so, so dry.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

As a means of putting on a show without the fireworks? That's really cool.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

I'd forgotten about the drone show that was in the news last year. Here's a short youtube video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG2UW2nYBQQ
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Yes, Happy Fourth of July, everyone. KS has injected politics, but I wish for the continuation of the old, uncomplicated, unifying Fourth celebrations we've always had, like the couple of DC events I' ve attended. You've heard what President Ego has done to the celebration on the Mall, with tanks and flyovers of all sorts, with VIP seating for RNC members and his family in front of the Lincoln Memorial. If he sticks to his script and gives a traditional speech about shared values, etc., that will be surprising. Surprising, but how meaningful if he reverts, as he surely will right afterwards, to his usual divisiveness.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

I didn't inject politics here, you did. Shame shame shame. You and your ilk DO like to accuse others of doing what you're doing, don't you? You need to find a new ilk.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

You're right, I was more political, my bad. Although I think my ilk should be left out of it.

Return to “Current Events & History”