• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 726 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 am

Secular home school curriculum

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
spoonwood

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Master Debater

Secular home school curriculum

Unread post

So, I've researched different secular home school curricula. I'm very interested in Singapore math, but I was just curious if anyone here might have experience or suggestions with homeschooling and/or teaching science and math in particular to Pre-k and up (to maybe 3rd grade).
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Secular home school curriculum

Unread post

Wow, you have been gone for a while! Welcome back to BookTalk.org. :-)

I know next to nothing about homeschooling other than that most people that home school do it for religious reasons. I'm interested to know what makes you want to home school? Or is it more out of necessity than desire?
spoonwood

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Master Debater

Unread post

Thank you for the warm welcome back!

I plan on relocating to an area with good schools, but until I do, I may need to supplement my son's school work. Or home school him. He is currently only 20 months old (I like to plan ahead :lol: ). I'm in the Bible Belt (for now). And there just aren't great schools in this area.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

spoonwood wrote:So, I've researched different secular home school curricula.
The only one I would consider is the John Holt approach, such as with "Growing without Schooling." Last I heard there were organizations of parents in many cities who take the kids on field trips and otherwise share the burden of enrichment.
spoonwood wrote:I'm very interested in Singapore math,
Singapore math is very good, because it is based on well-documented approaches to creating meaning and understanding rather than even a hint of rote learning or incomprehensible procedures.
spoonwood wrote: but I was just curious if anyone here might have experience or suggestions with homeschooling and/or teaching science and math in particular to Pre-k and up (to maybe 3rd grade).
Science and math to pre-K is quite silly, IMHO. I had a class in developmental psych and it demonstrated to my entire satisfaction that kids under 7 should stick to entirely concrete learning. Let them get experience with things like volume and leverage and electricity, but for gosh sake don't worry about "concepts". The Montessori people have long experience with training the child in skills without trying to eke out concepts, and their results are demonstrably good.

Return to “Everything Else”