• In total there are 29 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Hi, I am ivinela, a reader and a writer from Bulgaria

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
KevinMcCabe
Creative Writing Student

Re: Hi, I am ivinela, a reader and a writer from Bulgaria

Unread post

VictoriaClapton wrote::) I enjoy a wide variety of books. In fact, if a book is recommended that I haven't already read, I will almost always give it a try. I enjoy the Sufi poet Rumi, and right now I am reading a book called the The Star Borne. I don't always agree with what I read, but I love to piece together how all of the world's cultures relate through their own histories, stories, and beliefs.

You are the second person this week who has mentioned Dostoevsky to me. :idea: I need to do a little reading and learn more about him. When possible I prefer to read any book in the original language it was written. This doesn't always work out, but so much seems to be lost once books begin to be translated. Any suggestions on what you think I should put on my reading list?
As Rumi has been mentioned for a few times here, I would like to share my favourites quotes from Rumi then:

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.
The wound is the place where the Light enters you.
Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.
Only from the heart can you touch the sky.
Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love.
Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself.
The cure for pain is in the pain.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.
As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.
Academic writer, university lecturer and blogger based in London
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Re: Hi, I am ivinela, a reader and a writer from Bulgaria

Unread post

KevinMcCabe wrote: The cure for pain is in the pain.
I am mostly posting here so the thread will show up when I look at the list of threads I have posted in. But I am deeply involved in exploring this mystical insight. The non-dualists continually emphasize that suffering which is not faced and accepted will cause the person to inflict suffering on others. That is not a tautology, but a tendency. I think Rumi put the matter very poetically, which can often help a person relate to it.
KevinMcCabe wrote:When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.
True, and deep wisdom, but up to a point. When you do difficult things from your soul, the joy risks souring. It can feel like staying upright in a kayak when you hit the rapids: captivating but exhausting to "follow your bliss".
KevinMcCabe wrote:As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.
So insightful. I recently phrased a similar insight this way: by obedience, we learn who it is we are obeying.

Return to “Everything Else”