• In total there are 14 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Please help me find this short story

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ShortStorySearch
Official Newbie!

Please help me find this short story

Unread post

Hello, All. I'm having an impossible time finding a short story I read several years ago. It's about a man whose first girlfriend is shot and killed. They are both addicts (or he was a recovering addict until her murder, and then relapses). He describes how he first became involved with her when they were teenagers. Her father was a cop and holds the narrator accountable for her addiction and her murder (although the narrator was not involved in that), so he is not welcome at the funeral. He steals the woman's corpse from the funeral home (or attempts to).

The only line I can remember is when he goes to a diner but can't swallow any food because he has been using. He thinks to himself, "What's next, forgetting to breathe?"

I thought this appeared in the New Yorker but I can't find it. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Return to “Short Story Discussions”