• In total there are 15 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

The Progressive's choice of religion: Politics

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: The Progressive's choice of religion: Politics

Unread post

"I am so sorry to my world!"

"My" world

LOL!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Progressives have no religion (as conventionally understood) and don't value any notion of God. That's the premise of the post. That doesn't seem to me a very firm platform, so I'm reluctant to engage.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill wrote:Progressives have no religion (as conventionally understood) and don't value any notion of God. That's the premise of the post. That doesn't seem to me a very firm platform, so I'm reluctant to engage.

That's understandable.
But yes they do... for many (not all) politics is their religion. As you can see in the video of the crying Lib, she's about as fervent as any religious fanatic I've seen.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

ant wrote:
DWill wrote:Progressives have no religion (as conventionally understood) and don't value any notion of God. That's the premise of the post. That doesn't seem to me a very firm platform, so I'm reluctant to engage.

That's understandable.
But yes they do... for many (not all) politics is their religion. As you can see in the video of the crying Lib, she's about as fervent as any religious fanatic I've seen.
I understand your desire to talk about this and am not doubting that many specimens exist of this kind of outrage syndrome. But it's that in my current mood, at least, I try to shy away from arguments in which a group is defined by certain traits that it has and other groups don't. That seems to feed into polarization. Maybe I have Red/Blue exhaustion.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill wrote:
ant wrote:

That's understandable.
I understand your desire to talk about this and am not doubting that many specimens exist of this kind of outrage syndrome. But it's that in my current mood, at least, I try to shy away from arguments in which a group is defined by certain traits that it has and other groups don't. That seems to feed into polarization. Maybe I have Red/Blue exhaustion.

That's fine.

If you played the video you can hear this politico-religious fanatic calling the entire world HER world. No doubt, meaning the world that belongs to her fervent political fanaticism.
That's actually just as bad, if not worse, than a religious zealot who claims the world belongs to a god.

Hitler thought the world was his.
So did Napoleon, Genghis Khan, Stalin, etc.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Good job Ant, you found one!
Meanwhile millions of Christians believe God has anointed President Trump to carry out His will, and opposition to Trump is demonic.
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:Good job Ant, you found one!
Meanwhile millions of Christians believe God has anointed President Trump to carry out His will, and opposition to Trump is demonic.

I'm not here to defend Christianity. I'm actually simply pointing out what has happened before - loss of religion (truth / falsity aside) = replacement by socio-politico religiosity.

The lib in the youtube vid is just one example of what's currently taking place in Trump Deranged SyndromeLand. The left are also fervent adherents to the myth of "absolute evil." In this sense it doesn't matter that the evil we are currently experiencing stems from a mythical figure. To politically obsessed libs the evil is political in nature and must be vanquished by their absolute "good" political worldview. A political savior is needed. Someone like Ocasio-Cortez, or some other simpleton.
The loss of the left's political power is like the loss of the existence of all that is good (God) in their little bubbled lives.

Also, I'd say your claim that "millions of Christians" believe God is on the side of Trump is numerically unfounded.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

All righty, here's some data on your last sentence.
God and the 2016 Election
In comparison, more than one-quarter (28%) of Americans believe God played a major role in determining the outcome of the 2016 election. Thirteen percent say God played a minor role and a majority (55%) say God did not play any role at all in the presidential election. Perceptions about God’s influence in politics varied markedly by political and religious affiliation.

Close to half (45%) of Republicans believe God intervened to help President Donald Trump win the presidency, compared to 26% of independents and only 18% of Democrats. Nearly seven in ten (69%) Democrats believe God had no hand in determining the outcome of the election.

https://www.prri.org/research/poll-supe ... marijuana/
(The article starts with the Super Bowl, scroll down to the relevant section.)
Clearly that survey by the Public Religion Research Institute supports the claim that millions of Christians believe Trump was installed in the Presidency by an Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnibenevolent, Omnificent, and Omnipresent Triune Deity.

Dammit, we missed the chance to discuss this Supernatural Election in the book God and Donald Trump by Stephen Strang. Here's a photo of Trump holding up the book; I'm sure he totally believes the premise.
Attachments
Donald-Trump-God.jpg
Donald-Trump-God.jpg (25.97 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Close to half (45%) of Republicans believe God intervened to help President Donald Trump win the presidency, compared to 26% of independents and only 18% of Democrats.
Wait, 18% of Democrats believe God intervened to help Trump win? Have they not heard of Satan? Or did 18% of Dems prefer Trump to Clinton? I'm all confused.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

narrowed specifically to evangelical republicans - duh

showcasing it as 45% of all republicans is disingenuous.

lame

Return to “Current Events & History”