Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Gaming Computers & MMORPGs 
Years of membership
Internet Sage

Silver Contributor

Gaming Computers & MMORPGs
MMORPGs...

Anyone up on new gaming computers? I played Everquest then Lord of the Rings Online years ago and I'd like to see what the new MMOs are like. This Samsung 700 Series was a good gaming laptop for its day but it's time to upgrade.

Looking at a Dell Alienware New 15M.

Anyone know what's necessary in a good gaming laptop?

Who can recommend a good MMORPG? I'm more PvE and crafting than PvP — but some PvP is fine as long as it isn't the main focus. Looking for something new that's in Beta now or has been recently released. Want to get in on the ground floor of an MMO.

Any gamers out there?

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:44 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Post Re: Gaming Computers & MMORPGs
I'm a gamer. I played Everquest and LOTRO also, amongst others. I've been keeping my eye on Crowfall and Camelot Unchained, but those are PVP based.

A couple highly rated MMO's that aren't out yet, but aren't primarily PVP focused are Ashes of Creation, and New World. Amazon is making New World, and they're using their web services to run it, which takes care of the tech side out the gate. Both do have PVP, and it might be more than you're wanting.

Final Fantasy XIV has been out a while, but it's the highest rated PVE mmo out there. It's worth a look.

If you're buying a new computer, you should be good to run it. You only really need to be serious about the specs when you start playing sandbox simulation games, where the endgame will bog down nearly any computer(factorio, ONI, Cities)

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:10 am
Years of membership
Internet Sage

Silver Contributor

Interbane wrote:
I'm a gamer. I played Everquest and LOTRO also, amongst others. I've been keeping my eye on Crowfall and Camelot Unchained, but those are PVP based.

A couple highly rated MMO's that aren't out yet, but aren't primarily PVP focused are Ashes of Creation, and New World. Amazon is making New World, and they're using their web services to run it, which takes care of the tech side out the gate. Both do have PVP, and it might be more than you're wanting.

Final Fantasy XIV has been out a while, but it's the highest rated PVE mmo out there. It's worth a look.

If you're buying a new computer, you should be good to run it. You only really need to be serious about the specs when you start playing sandbox simulation games, where the endgame will bog down nearly any computer(factorio, ONI, Cities)

The two games that stand out to me are Ashes of Creation and Camelot Unchained. Haven't seen much about New World but will look into it. Camelot Unchained is Realm v. Realm. There are 3 realms. I don't know if that's heavy PvP but I think I can get into the Beta 1 testing and check it out. FFXIV doesn't interest me, really. I want to get in on the ground floor of an MMORPG. Either while it's still in Beta or soon after initial release.

Thanks for the help.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:33 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

I'm beta testing CU, and it's heavy PVP. The beta test is pretty much entirely PVP. They're working on structure damage physics for sieges right now. There will still be a central PVE location that is opened up to whichever of the 3 realms is winning the PVP war, but the focus is still PVP.

In Crowfall, it's also primarily PVP, but the crafting side of the game is incredibly deep. There are no good PVE battles like boss fights or whatever. You gather and craft, then use what's crafted to PVP. You could play the game as a dedicated crafter, but you'll still be killed if you venture into contested lands, which comprise most of the world.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 am
Years of membership
Internet Sage

Silver Contributor

Interbane wrote:
I'm beta testing CU, and it's heavy PVP. The beta test is pretty much entirely PVP. They're working on structure damage physics for sieges right now. There will still be a central PVE location that is opened up to whichever of the 3 realms is winning the PVP war, but the focus is still PVP.

In Crowfall, it's also primarily PVP, but the crafting side of the game is incredibly deep. There are no good PVE battles like boss fights or whatever. You gather and craft, then use what's crafted to PVP. You could play the game as a dedicated crafter, but you'll still be killed if you venture into contested lands, which comprise most of the world.

Good to know. I'll check out the CU Beta but may have to go with AotF.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:15 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.