• In total there are 25 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What do we owe sentient machines?

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Re: What do we owe sentient machines?

Unread post

Some interesting research looks into the psychological aspects of our increasing dependence on A.I. It's already being used in making legal judgements and forecasting for financial investment.

Because of inherent uncertainty about future events these machines will get things wrong. So how does this affect our trust in A.I. vs humans?
We tend to forgive fellow humans and the researcher thinks human traits such as admitting mistakes and showing a willingness to try and do better could be programmed into robots.

Wouldn't that be a sort of deception though? So if your local friendly stockbroker robot gives bad financial advice that bankrupts you, it might say.

Sorry about that! I'm only a robot,please don't remove my batteries,I'll try harder!

http://qz.com/693194/people-dump-ai-adv ... -the-same/

A lot of robot's used for interaction with humans are designed to look approximately like humans, with smiley faces,arms legs etc.
Of course we know that they are machines but they are designed to suggest human characteristics. I can imagine this increasingly developed similitude eventually providing a very convincing illusion of being human.
Last edited by Flann 5 on Sat May 28, 2016 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

You are being all "ant" again.

try actually reading a post before you blow up with ignorant indignation.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:You are being all "ant" again.

try actually reading a post before you blow up with ignorant indignation.
With all due respect to your unscientific hunches that the riddle of consciousness has been resolved, NO, it hasnt. We arent even close.

Are we? What scientific experiments have lead us to that conclusion?
Have they been tested for verification?
Where's the empirical evidence?

I have a scientific worldview, Johnson. I reject your faith in magical explanations appearing out of thin air.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:Some interesting research looks into the psychological aspects of our increasing dependence on A.I. It's already being used in making legal judgements and forecasting for financial investment.

Because of inherent uncertainty about future events these machines will get things wrong. So how does this affect our trust in A.I. vs humans?
We tend to forgive fellow humans and the researcher thinks human traits such as admitting mistakes and showing a willingness to try and do better could be programmed into robots.

Wouldn't that be a sort of deception though? So if your local friendly stockbroker robot gives bad financial advice that bankrupts you, it might say.

Sorry about that! I'm only a robot,please don't remove my batteries,I'll try harder!

http://qz.com/693194/people-dump-ai-adv ... -the-same/

A lot of robot's used for interaction with humans are designed to look approximately like humans, with smiley faces,arms legs etc.
Of course we know that they are machines but they are designed to suggest human characteristics. I can imagine this increasingly developed similitude eventually providing a very convincing illusion of being human.

Dont forget that ultimately, things like purpose and love are illusions as well, love for instance is just a meaningless spandrell, as Interbane pointed out about a year or so ago.

Algorithms are inherently biased. They are biased because the author of any algorithm transfers his or her biases to the algorithm.

If robots one day mimic purpose effectively it is because theyve been intelligently designed. Whereas we are not.
It's rather ironic isnt it?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

~ Flann

Im reading some interesting stuff on AI, Super Intelligent AI, and the limits of our own intelligence.

Just some more thoughts on this:

I think the current paradigm assumption is that the brain is like a machine that has programing/algorithmic vigor to it. But that may be an entirely false analogy. We seem not to think it is because science dependents on the presuppositions of its paradigm.

There are many problems our most advanced computers cannot solve. It's impossible for them to solve (ie the "Haulting Problem"). However, human beings are capable of solving some, depending on their size, to a certain extent. After which, they become too difficult to solve.
This demonstrates a difference in problem solving ability between machines and brains.

Brains may be greater than their biological architecture. What a machine cannot solve, a brain can. This might imply some form of quantum computational power the brain is able to perform.
The current consensus is that brain and mind are synonymous. But brains are able to still handily "out intellegence" our most sophisticated machines. It's hypothesized that a quantum computer could solve some of the unsolvable programming problems our current computers find impossible to handle.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Anybody watching Westworld right now?
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Regarding the subject of this thread, "what we owe sentient machines", it instantly made me think of Roko's Basilisk.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... _time.html

Summary: A sentient machine will torment people who, in the past, didn't help it come into being.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Johnson1010 wrote: “Anybody watching Westworld right now”

Dude, you asked that question a little over two years ago.
So to answer, Yes, I am watching Westworld right now :) in fact I’ve been bingeing season 2, It is fucking brilliant.

Return to “Science & Technology”