• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What are you reading these days?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

What are you reading these days?

Unread post

Hey guys, sorry I lost touch with the forum again. So, how about that Trump, eh?

I'm almost done reading this monster of a book

https://www.amazon.com/Behave-Biology-H ... 143110918/
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: What are you reading these days?

Unread post

Dexter wrote:Hey guys, sorry I lost touch with the forum again. So, how about that Trump, eh?

Still the spiritual materialist you've always been, eh?

Welcome back. :bananadance:
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Nothing spiritual about it, just hard-nosed reductionist science!
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Listening to the below on Audible.

At first I thought it was just going to be a recap of Homo Deus.
A little less than halfway now.. it's gotten really good, IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Lessons-21st-Cen ... 5014&psc=1
eljohn
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I just finished reading "Spill Simmer Falter Wither" by Sara Baume. I am new and have no idea what I am doing. But I am looking for discussion on this book with those that have read it. I don't understand how the search works on this website either. Very complicated for me. I thought I would be able to put in the title and/or author and something would come up on this book but nothing. Any suggestions on what I need to be expecting from this website? Thanks.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I just finished reading Hillbilly Elegy. I know it was discussed here some time ago, but as I was involved in a cross-country move at the time, I could not participate. :( :blush: I did find it interesting, as some of my ancestors came from Boyle County, Kentucky. :hmm:

I am currently "reading" (audio book) "Mornings on Horseback" bu Davod McCullough, is a family biography (don't know how else to describe it) of Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. (Something new I learned). So far it has dealt with his childhood, and focused mainly on his father, mother and siblings. From what I have read so far, I would reommend jit. :up:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Dexter wrote:Hey guys, sorry I lost touch with the forum again. So, how about that Trump, eh?

Looks very interesting. Would you recommend it?
-Geo
Question everything
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

geo wrote: Looks very interesting. Would you recommend it?
Yes, I think all the praise that it's received is deserved, I plan to re-read at least parts of it. I had started it earlier, put it down for a while and came back to it, it's a bit dense in places with lots of neuroanatomy, hormones, receptors, etc. But once you get about half-way through it's a bit easier going as he gets to the more big-picture stuff, there's a payoff to beginning to understand the biological underpinnings of violence, cooperation, morality, etc.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Thoreau: A Life, a new bio of H.D. Thoreau by Laura Dassow Walls. Great job she did; the book is detailed at about 500 p., but not ridiculously so like many biographies. The details added to the complete picture of HDT. I had to change my image of this writer after finishing the book.

The Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy, by Pietra Rivoli. More interesting than you might think. Did you know that nearly all of the cotton produced by no. 2 grower U.S. is shipped to China to be made into t-shirts, etc.? How can the U.S. continue to compete with grower countries that have much cheaper labor? Aren't Asian sweatshops horrible things that should be boycotted by consumers in rich countries? Listen to the women who work in them and find out why they vastly prefer factories to life on the farm, where they came from.

Carried Away, a story collection by Alice Munro. What is it about Munro's stories that penetrates the reader's mind? She's a Nobel Prize winner who shows us her native Ontario in bottomless depth.

The Boys on the Boat, by Daniel James Brown. Concerns the University of Washington rowing team that bested the Eastern elite schools and went to the 1936 Olympics, where they defeated the German squad by a nose, much to the displeasure of the Fuhrer.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote: The Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy, by Pietra Rivoli. More interesting than you might think. Did you know that nearly all of the cotton produced by no. 2 grower U.S. is shipped to China to be made into t-shirts, etc.? How can the U.S. continue to compete with grower countries that have much cheaper labor? Aren't Asian sweatshops horrible things that should be boycotted by consumers in rich countries? Listen to the women who work in them and find out why they vastly prefer factories to life on the farm, where they came from.
I'd be interested in reading that one, I think I came across it a while back

Return to “Everything Else”