• In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Short stories vs. novellas

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Lucian Hodoboc
Getting Comfortable

Short stories vs. novellas

Unread post

Is there a word count limit where a short story becomes a novella? Are there strict criteria that differentiate short stories from novellas? I'm guessing that short stories would have less elaborate subplots or no subplots at all, but is that an actual criterion that publishers use to define whether a work is a short story or a novella? :hmm:
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Short stories vs. novellas

Unread post

DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Does this depend on whether the work is issued separately rather than included with other works of fiction between covers? If the latter case, I think of a long piece as just a long short story. I have never heard of "novelette" (see Robert's link), which further confuses the matter.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

DWill wrote:Does this depend on whether the work is issued separately rather than included with other works of fiction between covers? If the latter case, I think of a long piece as just a long short story. I have never heard of "novelette" (see Robert's link), which further confuses the matter.
Also ignorant of "novellette."
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
vizitelly
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

There is a form known as the novella, which is traditionally thought of as being around 30,000 words. Generally, though, a story is as long or as short as the writer decides - some writers think of the short story form as being only about a 'big bang', others look to formal structures like the 'wave' theory where the story builds to a crescendo from an undercurrent. The form does lend it itself to experimental writing quite well as the demands of brevity throw up interesting challenges to a writer as to how to express a though or meaning as succinctly as possible, yet still make a memorable impression on the reader.

Return to “Short Story Discussions”