• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Creativity or plagiarism?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Devie
Official Newbie!

Re: Creativity or plagiarism?

Unread post

This often worries me whether I'm writing a scientific article or a fictional story. It's probably impossible for me to find something that has never been done before at this age. I'm trying to accept it and write in my own style because that's all I can do for now.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Okay, I'm going to come clean here and confess I am working on a novel. I have written five "short" stories (only one remotely qualifies) from a projected cycle of six, and gotten good feedback from friends and family, but unfortunately need to rewrite all of them (the one I re-wrote to submit for publication is passable but still needs polish.) But my wife, ever the practical one, urged me to do an end-run around the market difficulties of short stories by thinking about a novel And I am really liking where it is going after my sporadic but determined efforts for six months.

To me the "plagiarism" question is not too relevant. The whole purpose of working on it is not to become a best-seller and earn a lot of money. We are comfortable already. So I have already built in a few nods to similar themes in other works that influenced me, but the whole process is at cross-purposes to stealing the work of others. When I work on what to say and what choices my characters make, the guiding principle is to find the most realistic possible set of words and deeds that still illustrate the principles motivating the writing.

Recently finished Annie Dillard's "The Writing Life." In the penultimate section she engages what that looks like in process. I found myself overcome with emotion when she finished elucidating the way the work gets away from the author, as a series of choices for realism take it farther and farther from the original principles. In the end, she writes, the work "steals your heart." And that is so.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Several Booktalkers now have "confessed" to having a novel in the works, and good for you all. It must be kind of a hard thing to announce, going public and feeling that increase in pressure, like when you've announced a resolution. What you say about the greater commercial potential of novels is interesting, in that one would think that shorter forms would be welcome in these days of short attention. I guess if that were true, poetry would be king instead of almost moribund. Maybe what modern living makes people want most to avoid is having to concentrate.

Return to “Author's Lounge”