Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
In Ten Days I'll Find Out What Country I Live In 
Years of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

Silver Contributor

Post In Ten Days I'll Find Out What Country I Live In
By the power vested in me through the States of Insolence, Indolence, Ignorance, Ignominy, Illiteracy, Incompetence, Ineptitude,
Inability, Inadequacy, Ineptness, and Inebriation; along with a ringing endorsement from no one of consequence, I declare the Official Countdown to the
Midterms... Open!

The following user would like to thank Litwitlou for this post:
Cattleman, Chris OConnor, geo
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:57 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

Post Re: In Ten Days I'll Find Out What Country I Live In
Anticipating, and welcoming, a Democratic takeover of the House, I fervently hope that the Democrats can resist overplaying their hand. It will be time for them to model for the country how our system of government should work. Use the power of oversight and investigation wisely and non-vindictively. Don't re-litigate Kavanaugh. Don't force Trump to release tax returns unless with a specific reason. Don't try to impeach Trump unless Mueller provides cause or Trump does something clearly impeachable in the future. Use some restraint.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
Harry Marks, LanDroid
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:04 pm
Years of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

Silver Contributor

No clue what's going to happen. Red wave? Blue wave? Purple wave?Dunno.
What worries me is fistfights, and worse, breaking out at voting sites. People are not happy.

Tick-tock

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:48 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

"This may be the most important election in the history of the universe"

:lol:

The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
Harry Marks
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:58 pm
Profile Email
Years of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

Silver Contributor

ant wrote:
"This may be the most important election in the history of the universe"

:lol:

Oh, a comedy fan! Here's a joke for you.

How many Trumps does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

1 To call maintenance. 1 To tell maintenance to paint the lightbulb gold. 1 To make sure the maintenance worker isn't an illegal alien. 1 To declare bankruptcy so they don't have to pay maintenance. And 1 to blame Hillary and Obama for the failed bulb.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:52 am
Profile Email
Years of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

Silver Contributor

Polls are open in Jersey...

Bundle up, Republicans — winter is here.

Layers, dress in layers.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:13 am
Profile Email
Years of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

Silver Contributor

Good-bye, Leonard Lance (R) NJ 7th.

Hello, Tom Malinowski (D) NJ 7th.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:27 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
critical of books shorter than 1000 pages

Book Discussion Leader

All gloating aside, I really think we all dodged a bullet with this one. Republicans are saved from the seeming inexorable pressure to give up integrity, since it is clear that major portions of the electorate are not willing to go tribal. (Although Missouri's and to some extent Tennessee's Senate race and the governor's races in Georgia and Florida limit that relief. As usual, the South is determined to be peculiar, in its own peculiar way. If anyone is not sure what I mean by peculiar, consider the history of the use of the word in America.) Investigations can be treated as inquiries into fact again, as fact now has a power base within the American government.

In case the message was not clear to Democrats, it is not enough to be against injustice (especially with evangelicals focusing on abortion as their version of the justice issue). Opposing injustice will generally be something you do out of the surplus in your life, not as a way to gain power, and that's probably as it should be. Since we believe power should be used for the common good, that sets an agenda. So far the signalling is that the priorities will be clean government, hearings on the environment, and health care. That's an agenda that a politician can stand behind with self-respect, and I hope they go to the trouble to explain their thinking.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:01 am
Profile Email
Years of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

Silver Contributor

Harry Marks wrote:
All gloating aside, I really think we all dodged a bullet with this one. Republicans are saved from the seeming inexorable pressure to give up integrity, since it is clear that major portions of the electorate are not willing to go tribal.

Major portions of the electorate are no match for the blizzard of subpoenas about to bury Trump & Co. C'mon, they're politicians. Do you really think there won't be a battle of the subpoenas? All 3 branches of government are going to wipe out vast acreages of forested land for the paper. I have nowhere near the faith in them you have.

Harry Marks wrote:
In case the message was not clear to Democrats, it is not enough to be against injustice (especially with evangelicals focusing on abortion as their version of the justice issue). Opposing injustice will generally be something you do out of the surplus in your life, not as a way to gain power, and that's probably as it should be. Since we believe power should be used for the common good, that sets an agenda. So far the signalling is that the priorities will be clean government, hearings on the environment, and health care. That's an agenda that a politician can stand behind with self-respect, and I hope they go to the trouble to explain their thinking.

Hope you're right. But seems to me it's going to get really ugly in the Halls of Congress.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:28 am
Profile Email

Book Discussion Leader

Litwitlou wrote:
Major portions of the electorate are no match for the blizzard of subpoenas about to bury Trump & Co. C'mon, they're politicians. Do you really think there won't be a battle of the subpoenas? All 3 branches of government are going to wipe out vast acreages of forested land for the paper. I have nowhere near the faith in them you have.
I think if it weren't perceived as uselessly provocative, the Dems would impeach our Dear Leader. He has clearly earned it. I expect the possibility of emoluments violation will lead to demanding his tax returns, but I doubt if they can catch him at money laundering or quid pro quo using that. It will take Mueller, and some "knowledgeable informants" like the ones who helped the NY Times show all the cheating his Dad did on gift taxes.

There have been plenty of the regular types of subpoenas already for things like abuse of public funds by minions, and voter suppression. I expect that will grow also. Blizzard? Not so sure.

Litwitlou wrote:
Harry Marks wrote:
So far the signalling is that the priorities will be clean government, hearings on the environment, and health care. That's an agenda that a politician can stand behind with self-respect, and I hope they go to the trouble to explain their thinking.

Hope you're right. But seems to me it's going to get really ugly in the Halls of Congress.
Uglier than the Devin Nunes show? Things are always ugly in the Halls of Congress since Newtie came to town. Dems have won on gay rights and won on health care. They can afford to concentrate on playing it straight. And they have a certain responsibility in that field, since the more global warming is seen as a partisan issue, the easier it is for the Koch Brothers to stall any action against it. When the facts are on your side, argue the facts.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
Litwitlou
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:07 pm
Profile Email

Book Discussion Leader

Dems lost two Senate seats, and a few more possible, despite 56.8% of votes cast for Senator candidates, compared to Republican 41.5% Welcome to the new political landscape. When young people realize what those 40% are doing to their future, they may view their elders like we (the Boomers) viewed our racist elders. Inexcusable.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
Litwitlou
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:09 pm
Profile Email
Years of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

Silver Contributor

Harry Marks wrote:
So far the signalling is that the priorities will be clean government, hearings on the environment, and health care. That's an agenda that a politician can stand behind with self-respect, and I hope they go to the trouble to explain their thinking.

Harry Marks wrote:
Uglier than the Devin Nunes show? Things are always ugly in the Halls of Congress since Newtie came to town. Dems have won on gay rights and won on health care. They can afford to concentrate on playing it straight. And they have a certain responsibility in that field, since the more global warming is seen as a partisan issue, the easier it is for the Koch Brothers to stall any action against it. When the facts are on your side, argue the facts.

The old-fashioned facts or the new alternative facts? The problem with facts is they expose harsh realities. Lies are easier to believe. 7,000 refugees marching together toward our border where they plan to apply for asylum is troublesome, true. Need to build a tent city for them and feed them, tend their wounds and illnesses. But eventually the State Dept and Immigration will sort them out and the overwhelming majority will be bused back to Central America which will discourage others from a pointless thousand mile walk.

How did this turn into a threat to our national security and our way of life? People over on Fox are convinced we're being invaded. It's not sane.

The foremost superpower in the world can't secure its border against unarmed civilian men, women and children? That's irrational. But repeat the word "invasion" enough times coupled with imaginary "MS13 gang members" and we get thousands of active duty troops headed south while the Chairman of the JCOS outright says active duty troops will not be allowed to come into contact with the refugees.

Why would he say something like that? Because it's illegal to deploy active duty troops to control civilians and anyone with any sense knows that.

Fear-mongering, the race card, xenophobia. And what's to come may be scarier than what has passed
The U.S. government packed up and entered the Twilight Zone.

The following user would like to thank Litwitlou for this post:
Harry Marks
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:26 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.