• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

In Ten Days I'll Find Out What Country I Live In

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Re: In Ten Days I'll Find Out What Country I Live In

Unread post

Dems lost two Senate seats, and a few more possible, despite 56.8% of votes cast for Senator candidates, compared to Republican 41.5% Welcome to the new political landscape. When young people realize what those 40% are doing to their future, they may view their elders like we (the Boomers) viewed our racist elders. Inexcusable.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Re: In Ten Days I'll Find Out What Country I Live In

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote: So far the signalling is that the priorities will be clean government, hearings on the environment, and health care. That's an agenda that a politician can stand behind with self-respect, and I hope they go to the trouble to explain their thinking.
Harry Marks wrote:Uglier than the Devin Nunes show? Things are always ugly in the Halls of Congress since Newtie came to town. Dems have won on gay rights and won on health care. They can afford to concentrate on playing it straight. And they have a certain responsibility in that field, since the more global warming is seen as a partisan issue, the easier it is for the Koch Brothers to stall any action against it. When the facts are on your side, argue the facts.
The old-fashioned facts or the new alternative facts? The problem with facts is they expose harsh realities. Lies are easier to believe. 7,000 refugees marching together toward our border where they plan to apply for asylum is troublesome, true. Need to build a tent city for them and feed them, tend their wounds and illnesses. But eventually the State Dept and Immigration will sort them out and the overwhelming majority will be bused back to Central America which will discourage others from a pointless thousand mile walk.

How did this turn into a threat to our national security and our way of life? People over on Fox are convinced we're being invaded. It's not sane.

The foremost superpower in the world can't secure its border against unarmed civilian men, women and children? That's irrational. But repeat the word "invasion" enough times coupled with imaginary "MS13 gang members" and we get thousands of active duty troops headed south while the Chairman of the JCOS outright says active duty troops will not be allowed to come into contact with the refugees.

Why would he say something like that? Because it's illegal to deploy active duty troops to control civilians and anyone with any sense knows that.

Fear-mongering, the race card, xenophobia. And what's to come may be scarier than what has passed
The U.S. government packed up and entered the Twilight Zone.
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump

Return to “Current Events & History”