Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:02 pm





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
End Times 
Author Message
Years of membership
Internet Sage

Silver Contributor

Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 338
Location: New Jersey
Thanks: 158
Thanked: 149 times in 118 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: End Times
Robert Tulip wrote:

Arguing that “practically everything in early Christianity was redolent of the smell of astrology”, Zindler asks if Christianity began as an esoteric mystery cult with exoteric propaganda, with the crucifixion an astral phenomenon, the chi-rho cross related to Plato’s Timaeus, and the two fishes and five loaves of the feeding of the multitude an allusion to the two fish of Pisces and the five visible planets.


Interesting. I've never thought of it that way. I do remember singing Age of Aquarius on the bus to CYO Camp.

When I think about the origins of Christianity I think about the names of the days of the week. Not a whole lot of Christianity to be found there.

For Christmas we bring a tree into our homes, decorate it with pretty lights and shiny things, then place gifts under it. Why? Because spruced up conifers have everything to do with the birth of Jesus and nothing to do with Celtic tree worship.

The astrology theories make sense. Perhaps I never thought of that because the word "astrology" makes me a bit queasy. That comes from reading a lot of Heinlein who missed no opportunity to mock astrology.


_________________
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
— Dorothy Parker


The following user would like to thank Litwitlou for this post:
Robert Tulip
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:11 am
Profile Email
User avatar
Getting Comfortable


Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 3 times in 3 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: End Times
Robert Tulip wrote:
The traditional fundamentalist theories of "the end of the world" involve a basic error. The term mistranslated "world" in the Bible is "Aeon", which actually means "Age". Aeon is best understood to mean Zodiac Age, in line with the pervasive concealed use of this vision of time in the Bible. Pervasive hostility towards astrology has forced suppression of this basic fact, and allowed the crazy idea to get traction that the world will end. It will not. The coherent meaning of this eschatological idea of the End of the Age is that the Second Coming of Jesus Christ is the dawn of the Age of Aquarius, understood as a time of transformation and repair, not collapse. It is possible to analyse this Zodiac Age concept scientifically against pure astronomy, leaving out all speculative interpretation. For example, the Milankovitch Cycles illustrate the major impact of zodiac ages, producing 'seasons' analogous to the seasons of the year, and to the diurnal pattern of night and dark. Christian eschatology fits perfectly within this scientific framework, but the interdisciplinary nature of the topic, connecting religion and astronomy, has meant that it has not been thoroughly explained as yet. That is what I plan to do.
Great post...! Unfortunately many get their understanding of the term "end times" via TV and other secular interactions. They take no time for critical thinking and inner reflection in order to comprehend what those words really mean. You explained it well. I wrote a book "Are The Planets Just For Decoration?" that touches on astrological topics. Each astrological sign has two chapters. I touch on the basics of each sign in the first chapter and its spiritual purpose (or lesson) in the second chapter. As the 12 signs are the 12 life cycles each soul experiences through their numerous incarnations on the road to self-realization. Anyway, if you are interested in my book you can find it here...http://www.prosperityjoy.faith I'm currently having a free give away as well.



The following user would like to thank PJPross for this post:
Robert Tulip
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:04 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 16022
Location: Florida
Thanks: 3404
Thanked: 1282 times in 1013 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)
Highscores: 6

Post Re: End Times
Are The Planets Just For Decoration?

The fact that there are hundreds of billions of galaxies filled with hundreds of billions of stars makes me think the planets circling those stars aren't actually "for" anything and just are. I'm sure to you a supernatural deity created the universe and put all those heavenly bodies there for a purpose. To me this would be a tremendous waste of time, space and matter. To think a god created planets 5 Billion light years away is just insane.



The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Harry Marks
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:45 pm
Profile Email WWW
User avatar
Getting Comfortable


Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 3 times in 3 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: End Times
Chris OConnor wrote:
Are The Planets Just For Decoration?

The fact that there are hundreds of billions of galaxies filled with hundreds of billions of stars makes me think the planets circling those stars aren't actually "for" anything and just are. I'm sure to you a supernatural deity created the universe and put all those heavenly bodies there for a purpose. To me this would be a tremendous waste of time, space and matter. To think a god created planets 5 Billion light years away is just insane.
Your conscious isn't ready to accept the higher levels of truth of our existence which can never be discovered via the five senses. There's nothing wrong with that. Perhaps one day you will "awaken" and perhaps not. It's on you. Take care...!

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I am having a giveaway for my book "Are The Planets Just For Decoration?" on my site http://www.ProsperityJoy.Faith It might answer some of your questions. :)



Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:15 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
e-reader es-ploded. Too many books...

Book Discussion Leader

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1188
Thanks: 1192
Thanked: 566 times in 466 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: End Times
All those hundreds of millions of planets circling other stars exist for the purpose of selling the book. That's easy.



Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:51 am
Profile Email
User avatar
Getting Comfortable


Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 3 times in 3 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: End Times
Harry Marks wrote:
All those hundreds of millions of planets circling other stars exist for the purpose of selling the book. That's easy.
:excuseme: My book isn't written on a secular level and is ONLY for those who are truly searching for answers in earnest. I'd rather individuals NOT to purchase my book if they're not sincere about reading its contents. I prefer those who are genuinely seeking or already knowledgeable and enjoy reading various books on the topic. There are many others like me who "understand." I'm straightforward. There's no chicanery going on here. I'd rather give my books away. Oh, by the way...Happy New Year! and :chillpill:



Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:49 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Thinks Reading is Sexy

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 1976
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Thanks: 70
Thanked: 734 times in 565 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: End Times
Quote:
Your conscious isn't ready to accept the higher levels of truth of our existence which can never be discovered via the five senses.

So I gather you think reading your book won't do any good unless the reader's mind is open to some sort of supernatural truth? Asking, not attacking...



Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:20 pm
Profile
User avatar
Getting Comfortable


Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 3 times in 3 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: End Times
LanDroid wrote:
Quote:
Your conscious isn't ready to accept the higher levels of truth of our existence which can never be discovered via the five senses.

So I gather you think reading your book won't do any good unless the reader's mind is open to some sort of supernatural truth? Asking, not attacking...
Of course not. There are other authors who are just as knowledgeable. My book is only one of many. There are those who comprehend and those who do not. It's not going to do you and others any good to read my book if you are not sincere about understanding the topic and have no intuitive comprehension about "truth." Which by the way has NOTHING to do with the "supernatural" LOL. Eventually everyone must follow the path to "truth" or "self-realization." Some are wiser and do so consciously while others are blinded and have no more understanding of their existence than the animals. My book is to inspire; however, each person must take their own path and work on themselves I (and others like me) can only point the way. Nevertheless, I don't go back-and-forth with those who lack understanding. It's a waste of time. "When the pupil is ready, the teacher appears." It's much like a job...if someone has no knowledge of the job they must be willing to be sincere and learn, if not, they are a waste of the company's time." It's not my goal/job to convince others...you have a free will to do as you please. However, I do take to heart those who are sincere and look for means of growth during their earthly journey. Anyway, I wish you well...!



Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:37 am
Profile
Years of membership
Internet Sage

Silver Contributor

Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 338
Location: New Jersey
Thanks: 158
Thanked: 149 times in 118 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: End Times
PJPross wrote:
:excuseme: My book isn't written on a secular level and is ONLY for those who are truly searching for answers in earnest. I'd rather individuals NOT to purchase my book if they're not sincere about reading its contents. I prefer those who are genuinely seeking or already knowledgeable and enjoy reading various books on the topic. There are many others like me who "understand." I'm straightforward. There's no chicanery going on here. I'd rather give my books away. Oh, by the way...Happy New Year! and :chillpill:


Always a pleasure hearing from the enlightened.

Question, oh, learnéd one: If someone truly searching for answers in earnest, and sincere about reading its contents, judges your book folly, superstition and pseudo-intellectual claptrap, is that person among the ONLY ones your book is for? The person will have met your stated criteria.


_________________
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
— Dorothy Parker


The following user would like to thank Litwitlou for this post:
Harry Marks
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:44 am
Profile Email
User avatar
Getting Comfortable


Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 3 times in 3 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: End Times
Litwitlou wrote:
PJPross wrote:
:excuseme: My book isn't written on a secular level and is ONLY for those who are truly searching for answers in earnest. I'd rather individuals NOT to purchase my book if they're not sincere about reading its contents. I prefer those who are genuinely seeking or already knowledgeable and enjoy reading various books on the topic. There are many others like me who "understand." I'm straightforward. There's no chicanery going on here. I'd rather give my books away. Oh, by the way...Happy New Year! and :chillpill:


Always a pleasure hearing from the enlightened.

Question, oh, learnéd one: If someone truly searching for answers in earnest, and sincere about reading its contents, judges your book folly, superstition and pseudo-intellectual claptrap, is that person among the ONLY ones your book is for? The person will have met your stated criteria.
There are those who can view the most beautiful work of art and find something wrong with it. Each person has the right to do so. It has nothing to do with me one way or the other. "If a person has tasted an orange a person who hasn't tasted an orange cannot tell the other person that oranges do not exist just because they themselves haven't tasted them!" Earth is a school and everyone is at their own grade level. I don't expect one who is in 2nd grade to understand what one in the 10th grade knows. Those who understand will benefit from my book those who don't won't. Take care...!



Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:00 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 7031
Location: Da U.P.
Thanks: 1064
Thanked: 2050 times in 1647 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: End Times
Quote:
There are those who can view the most beautiful work of art and find something wrong with it. Each person has the right to do so. It has nothing to do with me one way or the other. "If a person has tasted an orange a person who hasn't tasted an orange cannot tell the other person that oranges do not exist just because they themselves haven't tasted them!" Earth is a school and everyone is at their own grade level. I don't expect one who is in 2nd grade to understand what one in the 10th grade knows. Those who understand will benefit from my book those who don't won't. Take care...!


Are you saying that what you claim as truth in your book is all subjective, like art or taste? Is there no objectivity, no dealing with facts and evidence?

I think Litwit's question still matters. If someone reads your book and finds untruths or errors in your logic, has this person not met your criteria? The majority of errors in logic are black or white, and nothing like art or taste. You either commit the error, or you don't. It's almost mathematical in its precision. Are you saying that anyone who is enlightened would ignore logical errors, if you've committed them?


_________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams


Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:37 am
Profile
User avatar
Getting Comfortable


Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 3 times in 3 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: End Times
Interbane wrote:
Quote:
There are those who can view the most beautiful work of art and find something wrong with it. Each person has the right to do so. It has nothing to do with me one way or the other. "If a person has tasted an orange a person who hasn't tasted an orange cannot tell the other person that oranges do not exist just because they themselves haven't tasted them!" Earth is a school and everyone is at their own grade level. I don't expect one who is in 2nd grade to understand what one in the 10th grade knows. Those who understand will benefit from my book those who don't won't. Take care...!


Are you saying that what you claim as truth in your book is all subjective, like art or taste? Is there no objectivity, no dealing with facts and evidence?

I think Litwit's question still matters. If someone reads your book and finds untruths or errors in your logic, has this person not met your criteria? The majority of errors in logic are black or white, and nothing like art or taste. You either commit the error, or you don't. It's almost mathematical in its precision. Are you saying that anyone who is enlightened would ignore logical errors, if you've committed them?
This is why I wrote "you don't understand and you're not ready." And that's fine. It's not about meeting "my" criteria. It's not about "my" judgement. "Truth" is not about personal conjectures (it's not subjective). When I mention "truth" you are thinking from a worldly perspective which has NOTHING to do with "truth." The world is NOT what it appears to be. Self-realized, enlightened truth is discovered intuitively and surpasses the five-senses. You can't "reason" your way to truth. You haven't discovered it. It has NOTHING to do with superstition, absurdity, or illogicality. In fact, "spiritual-truth/self-realization" is very scientific. However, instead of being a "material scientist" one becomes a "spiritual scientist." There's no emotional dogma or irrationality. "Truths" are proven to oneself. I'm not going to go back-and-forth with you about something you have absolutely no understanding of when there are those who do comprehend and would benefit more. They are the ones who need my time more. It's much like a classroom. Those who disrupt the class are not there for learning. It's best to put them out-of-the-class so that the teacher can dedicate their time to those who are "awake" and want to learn. When the "student" decides they are "ready to learn" they are welcomed back in the classroom. A student doesn't come to class to teach the teacher and you are not conceiving my words. That's OK...It's not a problem for me but I have no more time for your post. They're irrelevant for my purpose. I won't be replying again. Good Bye



The following user would like to thank PJPross for this post:
Interbane
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:29 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 7031
Location: Da U.P.
Thanks: 1064
Thanked: 2050 times in 1647 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: End Times
PJPross wrote:
Self-realized, enlightened truth is discovered intuitively and surpasses the five-senses. You can't "reason" your way to truth.


This can be shown to be false in so many ways. Yes, you can reason your way to the truth. What other way do you suppose the truth is reached? By eating cheetos? Intuition can sometimes lead to the truth, but it often fails. And there is no litmus test we've discovered that shows on person's intuition to be better than another's without judging the end product of that intuition against fact. Which means that even when you have an intuition, it must still be aligned with sound logic and evidence, ie reasoning. There's no way around this, if the "truth" is your goal. Fuzzy language won't get you closer.

Quote:
"Truths" are proven to oneself.


Sorry, no they aren't. We're terrible at discovering the truth. You, me, all of us. Truths don't prove themselves to us. We have to fight and kick and scream for every morsel, and it's often painful. This fighting and kicking and screaming is against ourselves, against what we want to be true, against what we 'intuit' to be true, against what we 'feel' is true. We're untrustworthy at finding the truth, shown by how wrong the majority of us are about so many things. So, we have to outsource this "discovery" process. We can't simply "feel" what's true, as that is PROVEN to be faulty. We NEED systems like logic, math, and science to intervene on our behalf. You are no exception. "Truths" do not prove themselves to you, that's infinitely arrogant.

Quote:
It's best to put them out-of-the-class so that the teacher can dedicate their time to those who are "awake" and want to learn.


Team Deepak Chopra has absolute confidence, don't they? PJ, you're not the teacher.


_________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams


The following user would like to thank Interbane for this post:
Harry Marks
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:05 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
e-reader es-ploded. Too many books...

Book Discussion Leader

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1188
Thanks: 1192
Thanked: 566 times in 466 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: End Times
Just buy the book, wouldja?



Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:28 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5462
Thanks: 1293
Thanked: 879 times in 757 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: End Times
Quote:
Interbane wrote:
Intuition can sometimes lead to the truth, but it often fails.


Yeah, but, you know, it's the deepest truths we arrive at by intuition that intellects like Einstein (in quotes below) spoke about.

The "rational" mind is the servant in all this.. Some of us have grown so haughty on our provincial genius and success, we've forgotten the "sacred"


Quote:
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.


We all know you admire secular saints like Buffet, Gates, and Carrier. And I'm willing to bet you're pretty darn good at balancing your checkbook.

But, still..., I'll gladly appeal to an intellectual authority like Einstein in this case.



The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
Harry Marks, Interbane
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:06 pm
Profile Email
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:



Site Resources 
HELPFUL INFO:
Forum Rules & Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
BBCode Explained
Author Interview Transcripts
Be a Book Discussion Leader!

IDEAS FOR WHAT TO READ:
Bestsellers
Book Awards
• Book Reviews
• Online Books
• Team Picks
Newspaper Book Sections

WHERE TO BUY BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

BEHIND THE BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

PROMOTE YOUR BOOK!
Advertise on BookTalk.org
How To Promote Your Book





BookTalk.org is a thriving book discussion forum, online reading group or book club. We read and talk about both fiction and non-fiction books as a community. Our forums are open to anyone in the world. While discussing books is our passion we also have active forums for talking about poetry, short stories, writing and authors. Our general discussion forum section includes forums for discussing science, religion, philosophy, politics, history, current events, arts, entertainment and more. We hope you join us!


Navigation 
MAIN NAVIGATION

HOMEFORUMSOUR BOOKSAUTHOR INTERVIEWSADVERTISELINKSFAQDONATETERMS OF USEPRIVACY POLICYSITEMAP

OTHER PAGES WORTH EXPLORING
Banned Book ListOnline Reading GroupTop 10 Atheism Books

Copyright © BookTalk.org 2002-2018. All rights reserved.


seo for beginners