• In total there are 24 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What are you currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

101 Essays That Will Change the Way You Think - Brianna Wiest

A much needed book with everything going on in my life right now.
Last edited by ant on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Trance Formation of America

A link to a pdf of the book is on this page:

http://mikesheedy.com/other-stuff/the-b ... d-control/

I've read excerpts from it over the years, but never the entire work. Mark Phillips wrote the first part and Cathy O'Brien the second. O'Brien was a sex slave and Phillips rescued her. I had trouble getting through Phillips' bad grammar, typos and wonky digital formatting, but I'm five chapters into O'Brien's story and it's much smoother reading.

Don't bother with this book unless you can deal with the topic. O'Brien pulls no punches.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

The Thanatos Syndrome, by Walker Percy, a re-read. Heavy sodium in the water supply of a Louisiana parish leads to strange behaviors and detective work by psychiatrist Tom More, who unravels the mystery. Nobody creates memorable characters like these Southern literary geniuses.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Just finished "Educated" by Tara Westover and found it excellent. Some of it may sound like fiction, but I used to work in that area, and will vouch for it being truthful.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Science Fiction and Philosophy: From Time Travel to Superintelligence

https://www.amazon.com/Science-Fiction- ... VW80PMN6K7
LucPrince
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Recently purchased new translation of Amerika: The Missing Person by Kafka.

amazon.com/Amerika-Missing-Translation- ... ka+america

A few years ago I started reading this book, but I interrupted reading. This is the unique work that I did not read.
Being a big fan of Process and Metamorphosis, I feel myself obligated to read this book.
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself.
Charles Dickens
My sceince blog: here
My article about pocket notebooks: here
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

The Blind Assassin — Margaret Atwood
Daughter of Fortune — Isabel Allende

Next up...
Portrait in Sepia — Isabel Allende
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
tabitham1991
Official Newbie!

Unread post

:omg4: I am reading this new book called Eero: The Pureblooded King. It must be new because not a lot of people are talking about it. I have already read it but I’m reading it again now. I just can’t get enough of it. I love the characters and the plot, I love all of it and can’t wait till the next one is out. Has anyone else read it or heard about Eero: The Pureblooded King?
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Currently reading a book with the rather lengthy title, "Please Stay, A Brain Bleed, A Life in the Balance, A Love Story." by Greg Payan. It is the true story of how his fiance (now wife) suffered a ruptured aneurysm in her brain, and the heroic efforts to save her life. My daughter recommended it to my and I wondered why. Then a few pages into the acknowledgements two names (figuratively) jumped off the page at me and my jaw literally dropped open. I KNEW this family; they had lived in the same part of Arlington, Texas as me and my family. My daughter had gone through school, kindergarted to high school graduation with this woman. So naturally I could hardly put it down (I am still not finished with it). I recommed it, not for this fact, but for the unique style in which it is written - not just narrative, but quotes from medical reports and texts of, well, texts, and e-mails to and from the author to his and Holly's friends and family. Will probably not be as compelling to you as it is to me, but I still suggest it.
Last edited by Cattleman on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “What are you currently reading?”