• In total there are 35 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 35 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

"Migrant Caravan" headed to the US border

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Re: "Migrant Caravan" headed to the US border

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:
Litwitlou wrote:There's nothing to be afraid of here. This is just alt-right xenophobia and fear-mongering in an attempt to incite the lowest common denominator into voting.

Dear Leader likes the symbolism of using tanks and missiles to stop them. I think it's safe to say even most Republicans see the foolishness of such an approach. But if they can be convinced that the alternative is "No borders, no ICE" they might be willing to go with it. One aspect I would point out is that it is not very expensive to be able to process the caravans, relative to the cost of high-tech weaponry (which might get left on the airfield and have a hurricane come along and wipe out billions worth).

Where did this "open borders" idea come from? I've never heard anyone, left or right, espouse open borders.

As to the lowest common denominator... you're right. I shouldn't use the term. It's ugly, insulting, and indeed, an oversimplification.

What I meant was: "[C]onservatism is a partially heritable personality trait that predisposes some people to be cognitively inflexible, fond of hierarchy, and inordinately afraid of uncertainty, change, and death. People vote Republican because Republicans offer "moral clarity"—a simple vision of good and evil that activates deep seated fears in much of the electorate."

Haven't looked into exactly how Haidt came to think that. Then again, I didn't bring him up.
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Litwitlou wrote:Where did this "open borders" idea come from? I've never heard anyone, left or right, espouse open borders.
Well, there was this bit of deep wisdom from one of the deepiest:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... st-123230/
Needless to say the right had a field day. I have seen similar expressions on Facebook, but of course one never knows if one is looking at False Flag material there.

Litwitlou wrote:What I meant was: "[C]onservatism is a partially heritable personality trait that predisposes some people to be cognitively inflexible, fond of hierarchy, and inordinately afraid of uncertainty, change, and death. People vote Republican because Republicans offer "moral clarity"—a simple vision of good and evil that activates deep seated fears in much of the electorate."
LOL. Why didn't you just say so?
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:
Litwitlou wrote:Where did this "open borders" idea come from? I've never heard anyone, left or right, espouse open borders.
Well, there was this bit of deep wisdom from one of the deepiest:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... st-123230/
Needless to say the right had a field day. I have seen similar expressions on Facebook, but of course one never knows if one is looking at False Flag material there.

Litwitlou wrote:What I meant was: "[C]onservatism is a partially heritable personality trait that predisposes some people to be cognitively inflexible, fond of hierarchy, and inordinately afraid of uncertainty, change, and death. People vote Republican because Republicans offer "moral clarity"—a simple vision of good and evil that activates deep seated fears in much of the electorate."
LOL. Why didn't you just say so?
Katy Perry. Hmmm, she's a pop star — news to me.

I need to resubscribe to Rolling Stone. I thought they'd gone out of business but I think I confused them with The Village Voice.
Donald J. Trump
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

It's an invasion, bought and paid for. The video linked to below explains it pretty well:

Why They want to REPLACE YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl0Bo4GKQ-U

Basically, the ruling elite view us as a threat that needs to be brought under control. So western nations, with historically superior cultures, are now being destroyed with immigration.

One of the things the video talks about is how religion used to keep the elites in check. They used to have to at least pretend to be moral. So the problem became how to remove that restriction. It was done by de-moralizing the rabble. Our Judeo-Christian beliefs have been destroyed by elitist policies, so now we have no moral authority. We can't invoke God to restrain our leaders when we don't even go to church. As a result, our leaders are no longer required to hide their sociopathic and psychotic behaviors.

And now that they're free of accountability, they're forcing immigration on the stronger nations in order to weaken them. Eventually we'll all be living at the whim of our rulers, and we'll get there one baby step at a time, one caravan at a time.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:It's an invasion, bought and paid for. The video linked to below explains it pretty well:

Why They want to REPLACE YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl0Bo4GKQ-U
You got me. For a moment I thought you were serious. Then I found Devon Stack.

This is Stack introducing himself on the Steem website:
"I believe in truth over ideology but my ideology can be most accurately described as anti-left. In the context of today's politics that really means anti-totalitarian."

Nice try.
Donald J. Trump
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

This is one of those stories that seems significant because it has received a lot of press, but immigrants are constantly coming to our border and they always have to go through a process to apply for asylum. It's no different in this case. The reaction is largely due to Trump's usual fear-mongering that we are being overrun by immigrants.

Trump also claims that Democrats support open borders. Not true.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/us/p ... rders.html

Remember to vote!!
-Geo
Question everything
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

geo wrote:This is one of those stories that seems significant because it has received a lot of press, but immigrants are constantly coming to our border and they always have to go through a process to apply for asylum. It's no different in this case. The reaction is largely due to Trump's usual fear-mongering that we are being overrun by immigrants.

Remember to vote!!

I referred to it as xenophobia and fear-mongering with the x on a triple letter score square. :up:
Donald J. Trump
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:Basically, the ruling elite view us as a threat that needs to be brought under control.
But the ruling elite is us. That's how democracy works. It's true that there are highly skilled people, with impressive grasp of facts and rhetoric, who tend to end up with their hands on the levers. But they do not, in general, view themselves as a group who works together to control "the rest of us." If "the elite" thought that way, we would have had military rule over civilians a long time ago.
KindaSkolarly wrote:So western nations, with historically superior cultures, are now being destroyed with immigration.
Yet that historically superior culture aspires to be more than just one more dominating power in a long series of them. People tend to be fascinated by control and domination, but the last 150 years has clearly demonstrated that domination is far, far inferior to cooperation in getting the kind of life a person can take pleasure and pride in living. A managed system of immigration, and a welcoming embrace of multiculturalism, is strictly superior to closed borders and clinging to some gauzy, shimmery vision of a supposedly privileged past.

I have trouble taking seriously the notion of my culture being destroyed with immigration. One of the richest veins of my culture is African-American. Without Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr and James Baldwin and Oprah Winfrey and Charlie Parker and Barack Obama and Beyoncé and Toni Morrison and Ella Fitzgerald, my country would have been a much poorer place. The same can be said for European-Americans and Asian-Americans. Whoever decreed that we have to have some kind of racial purity of culture? Humans are humans, and the immigrants I have met have nothing but admiration for the open and accepting culture of the United States, which finds itself secure enough to think that immigrants just add to the mix. Like inviting a new friend to the party.
KindaSkolarly wrote:One of the things the video talks about is how religion used to keep the elites in check.
Well it didn't do a very good job of keeping Rockefeller in check, who fancied himself a dedicated churchman. Or of keeping the slaveholders in check, or the people running the prison labor system, or the people standing in the schoolhouse door to block racial desegregation. I think religion would be a great idea, but Roy Moore's idea of it is to keep the ladies in check with it so he can dominate them. Caesar is lord.
KindaSkolarly wrote:They used to have to at least pretend to be moral.
And the press was willing to cooperate. Leaders cheat on their wives, isn't that how human nature works? So why spoil the play-pretend by letting people know any different? I don't think those blackmailed by J. Edgar Hoover would have such an exalted view of the restraints created by the hypocrisy. In fact you can make a pretty good case that the hypocrisy enabled domination far more than it restrained it.
KindaSkolarly wrote:So the problem became how to remove that restriction. It was done by de-moralizing the rabble. Our Judeo-Christian beliefs have been destroyed by elitist policies, so now we have no moral authority. We can't invoke God to restrain our leaders when we don't even go to church. As a result, our leaders are no longer required to hide their sociopathic and psychotic behaviors.
It seems to me the instrument of demolition was aggression. Read about Newt Gingrich
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... MjgxNzU0S0
and his pride in restoring vicious partisanship to demolish a genteel, highly functioning political system. What has Congress done of any value or worth since 1996? I can give you 10 significant accomplishments during the 10 years before him. And those were Republican years, or at least bi-partisan. Do you know how long it has been since Congress passed a real budget, with appropriations containing internal priorities?

The aggression was channeled by relentless partisanship on Fox News, and fueled by rich folk willing to give or withhold contributions according to their narrow self-interest. Much good may it do them when it all comes crashing down on everyone's head.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

geo wrote:This is one of those stories that seems significant because it has received a lot of press, but immigrants are constantly coming to our border and they always have to go through a process to apply for asylum. It's no different in this case. The reaction is largely due to Trump's usual fear-mongering that we are being overrun by immigrants.

Remember to vote!!

That's fine.

I'm certain there are many sporadic isolated examples.. of this size I do not know.
Do you?

Globalist desires for open borders are not being conflated here with democratic political philosophies regarding legal immigration processes.
Please do not strawman.
Last edited by ant on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

There’s nothing phonier than a virtue signaling Leftist. American blacks are tired of it. Here’s what they’ve come to learn:

The Democrats haven't changed in the 150 years since the they ran those newspaper ads. And blacks are leaving the party because they're tired of the hypocrisy. Dems admit that they need to import people to make up the vote shortfall., so former Nazi collaborator George Soros and arch-racist Barry Soetoro (aka Obama) have launched a wave of exploitable people at the US border. Leftists have been cued to parrot a “they’re no threat” line, but they are a threat. Their drain on American resources is a threat to national security.

Brazil just elected their very own Trump, so that’s good. It will be interesting to see how American Leftists spin the election. I guess Brazilians are racist, too. Or maybe Russians did it.

Return to “Current Events & History”