• In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Draining the swamp - Thank you Donald Trump

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Draining the swamp - Thank you Donald Trump

Unread post

They all engage in it.. numerous wrongs simply don't justify any of this behavior from either side. Politics are totally dirty.
It's always been that way, but we seem to find it morally reprehensible when it's not "our guy" doing it.
I disagree that they all engage in the kind of smearing and character assassination that has increased since Trump came on the political scene. That kind of stuff is still exceptional; that's why it has been so lamented both by the other party and by many who would be presumed to share the old Republican philosophy. Shrugging off things like smearing a U.S. resident brutally killed by a foreign government with "they all do it," just provides cover for outrages.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

It wasn't too long ago that Hilary Clinton engaged in a horrible, chicken shit smear campaign against Obama.

https://www.politico.com/story/2008/02/ ... oto-008667

And now all of a sudden she's somehow the president we all should have representing us.
The Clintons have a blackbelt in smearing. They always have.

What continues to amaze me is how unprincipled, forgetful, and hypocritical the left has become.
(not you, DWill. generally speaking)
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Your Clinton example is valid. Had I noted it at the time I would have been critical of her campaign, as I assume you were. Since just about all of your examples of political hypocrisy focus on the left, I'm curious whether this means you think hypocrisy is sort of inherent in the left, and not so present in the right.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill wrote:Your Clinton example is valid. Had I noted it at the time I would have been critical of her campaign, as I assume you were. Since just about all of your examples of political hypocrisy focus on the left, I'm curious whether this means you think hypocrisy is sort of inherent in the left, and not so present in the right.

You're not the only one that was not critical at the time. Not only was it apocryphal to watch, it was also quickly swept under the rug as if it never happened.
I figure since all examples of political degeneracy here focus on the left, I surely can be the person to point out the left's malfeasance simply because I find it hard to look away when I know its there.
When your stance is more to the center its that much easier.

I agree with an article I read on Al Jazzier just after Trump won the White House. It's not too difficult to be concerned with what a 4 year Trump presidency could mean. However, when you witness the incessant, child-like name calling histrionics today's american Left constantly engages in, one can't help but think our modern day "progressives" somehow think everything should go their way, and if it doesn't we all are going to fucking die - literally. It's the epitome, as the author pointed out, of being politically spoiled. That's exactly what the left's reaction has been akin to: a baby having a temper tantrum. Actually, it's been quite embarrassing. When you're this politically immature it becomes all too easy to embarrass yourself without even realizing it.

Their are people in countries that live daily with the threat of invasion on their borders, collapsed economies, dictatorial regimes lead by REAL DICTATORS that can send someone to your home, drag your wife and kids out into the street and have them shot in front of you, and countless other daily evils. All while here at home our progressives our lamenting that Trump is a modern day Hitler (not even CLOSE if you know a little history), our detention centers are the equivalent of Nazi concentration camps (seriously??), and making "pussy hats" to signify a battle cry for our oppressed women who are nearly as bad off as women in Saudi Arabia, India, etc. You'd think our oppressed champions of equal rights would find the time to march for women in other countries who live daily with the threat of forced marriage, rape with no legal recourse, genital mutilation, stoning, etc after they've finished their caramel lattes at Starbucks.

Some of our issues here at home are real and need our attention. Don't get me wrong. But the constant dramatizations by the left are entirely out of hand.

Here's a personal note I can share. My family has sponsored 2 immigrants to help them obtain citizenship. I think it's a great experience and is a way to really start taking action and help.

Why doesn't the left encourage sponsorship? Why isn't that part of the discussion. My grandparents became legal citizens back int he early 40s. From that example, my family went on to help other immigrants. Why aren't immigrants like my grandparents invited to join the discussion on news platforms like CNN, MSNBC, Mother Jones, Slate, etc?

What about any progressive here on BT? Has anyone considered opening their home to an immigrant from Mexico (where my grandparents are from) and sponsoring their path to citizenship? Or is chanting "No borders, no walls!" at some local march then blogging about it on Facebook enough demonstration that you really care?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I take it from your response that the simple answer to my question would be "yes," the left does have a particular penchant for hypocrisy, and perhaps also for sanctimony. Well, that could be; I mean I couldn't rule it out. It does seem to me questionable to define the liberal left by its most extreme expressions, just as it would be questionable to define the conservative right by Limbaugh or Tucker Carlson or Mark Meadows. As for progressives not sponsoring immigrants, how do we know they don't?

The Hillary Clinton smear you cited happened 10 years ago. Was it swept under the rug back then? I don't know. You say her political opponents or the press didn't bring it up last election. It would have been fair game. It is in any case not realistic to always expect mea culpas from the person who's criticizing (is it?).

But a problem with whataboutism that's based on general suspicion of the other side is that it can prevent one from giving due attention to something that isn't right, if it's the favored side that's at fault or even (as in your case) if there's not favoritism exactly, but there is antipathy towards the opposite side. This is because of concern for letting the other side off the hook for something similar it did, perhaps long ago. It then becomes hard to judge the current instance independently of these feelings of resentment, and defensiveness is the result. In the case of Jamal Khashoggi, I'm seeing a clear moral reason to condemn the whisper campaign against him. Holding back because of something in the same category that a liberal did doesn't make sense to me. And the "they all do it" escape seems to give permission for an arms race of words and deeds.

I don't know if what I've said is clear and apologize if it isn't.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Anyone see this?

Democratic candidate removes rival's pamphlet from voter's home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSoGEJwBd_c

ZERO integrity
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

It does seem to me questionable to define the liberal left by its most extreme expressions, just as it would be questionable to define the conservative right by Limbaugh or Tucker Carlson or Mark Meadows. As for progressives not sponsoring immigrants, how do we know they don't?
Putting the loonies aside from both sides, I believe intellectually humility favors the right because the left disconnects itself from societal reality.., because they fail to understand a world that is filled with moral trade-offs, filled with human beings that will always remain imperfect.
The vision of achieving a moral utopia by extinguishing every evil in the world until utopia is achieved is not rational. If you present an argument as to why a particular evil may not be able to be totally extinguished you are met with emotional hostility and called evil, a racist, or a Nazi.

I consider myself a centrist. I hold both liberal and conservative socio-political values. One of my friends, a strong conservative, was asked to leave the house occupied by a left leaning "friend" because he disagreed with the his social stance on immigration. When my friend wanted to discuss improving the path to legal immigration, he was nearly called a racist.

From my experience, the left is short on emotional intelligence.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

ant wrote: From my experience, the left is short on emotional intelligence.
I have a sense that your experience is something that informs a lot of what you have to say about these issues. I also sense it's quite a different experience from mine. The first step in people trying to really communicate with each other is to understand where the other one is coming from, rather than staking out positions for debate. But I wonder whether living in CA naturally puts you more within a left/liberal milieu than is the situation for me,
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I have a sense that your experience is something that informs a lot of what you have to say about these issues.
The above is true of everyone.
I also sense it's quite a different experience from mine
Absolutely. Further, two people could be subjected to the same environment and will still have different experiences. Wouldn't you agree?
The first step in people trying to really communicate with each other is to understand where the other one is coming from, rather than staking out positions for debate.
According to findings by Haidt and Pinker the left is not nearly as willing as the right to explore and achieve some understanding of "the other's" view regarding socio-poltical matters.
That makes sense given some of the explanations offered.
But I wonder whether living in CA naturally puts you more within a left/liberal milieu than is the situation for me,
Nope - most Californians are left. I'm slightly right of center.
Last edited by ant on Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

ant wrote:
According to findings by Haidt and Pinker the left is not nearly as willing as the right to explore and achieve some understanding of "the other's" view regarding socio-poltical matters.
That makes sense given some of the explanations offered.
Where exactly are these findings by Haidt and Pincker? How did they arrive at these conclusions? Did they take surveys? Author peer-reviewed papers? Or are these merely their opinions?

Here's what I've found by Jonathan Haidt on the subject of liberals and conservatives:

"What makes people vote Republican? Why in particular do working class and rural Americans usually vote for pro-business Republicans when their economic interests would seem better served by Democratic policies? We psychologists have been examining the origins of ideology ever since Hitler sent us Germany's best psychologists, and we long ago reported that strict parenting and a variety of personal insecurities work together to turn people against liberalism, diversity, and progress. But now that we can map the brains, genes, and unconscious attitudes of conservatives, we have refined our diagnosis: conservatism is a partially heritable personality trait that predisposes some people to be cognitively inflexible, fond of hierarchy, and inordinately afraid of uncertainty, change, and death. People vote Republican because Republicans offer "moral clarity"—a simple vision of good and evil that activates deep seated fears in much of the electorate. Democrats, in contrast, appeal to reason with their long-winded explorations of policy options for a complex world."
— Jonathan Haidt

"University of Virginia social psychologist Jonathan Haidt, author of The Happiness Hypothesis and the recently-published The Righteous Mind, whose research indicates that morality is a social construction which has evolved out of raw materials provided by five (or more) innate "psychological" foundations: Harm, Fairness, Ingroup, Authority, and Purity. Highly educated liberals generally rely upon and endorse only the first two foundations, whereas people who are more conservative, more religious, or of lower social class usually rely upon and endorse all five foundations."
— John Brockman

Both quotes are from:
Edge: Pondering Haidt's Hypothesis
March 30, 2012.

Pinker is primarily a linguist and I can't find his thoughts on how the left and right view issues.

Help me out here. Where did you find this view by Haidt and Pinker?
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump

Return to “Current Events & History”