Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:35 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Why reading is a good habit 
Official Newbie!

Post Why reading is a good habit
Reading is one of the most important habits a parent can instill in their child. Reading opens young minds to the possibilities that are out there but are not present in their everyday realm of existence. Reading can ignite, develop and stretch young and older imaginations. It can open up whole new worlds as in Science Fiction or it can take you back in time, as in History. You can travel to far off places that actually do exist. Think about it, the first step to getting somewhere is to first know that that place does exist. Reading can pique your interest in something new that maybe you never would have considered before. Reading exercises the brain and keeps your mind from stagnating. For parents, the goal is to keep your child reading and if they like to read comic books, then their brain is still being stimulated.

Okay so just in case you haven’t guessed, I love to read. Through the years I’ve read a lot of different genres. I am especially fond of fiction, especially science fiction. I have a friend who likes biographies and autobiographies. I think the most important thing is to read what you like and to do it often. There’s never a line that’s too long or a flight that’s too boring as long as I have my Kindle or a book! And that makes my brain happy!

The following user would like to thank lindagenerally for this post:
Chris OConnor, Litwitlou
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:41 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Post Re: Why reading is a good habit
Well said!

Quote:
Think about it, the first step to getting somewhere is to first know that that place does exist.

I've always likened reading about far away places and adventures to traveling to those far away places and living those adventures. You can experience so much of life through books that you simply could never experience in real life ... without winning the lottery.

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Harry Marks
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:06 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

One more reason - it teaches children how to spell!

Dangerous Liaisons

The following user would like to thank rchapman1tewantin for this post:
Litwitlou
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Beyond Awesome

Highscores: 1

A couple of nights ago, I caught "The Great American Read" on my local PBS station. The topic was Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Historical Fiction (see lindagenerally's post above). At the end, they showed the 100 novels that were nominated to be the No. 1 read. I was surprised at how man of them I had read over the years. (You can view the list at pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/).

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

The following user would like to thank Cattleman for this post:
Harry Marks, Litwitlou
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:22 pm
Profile Email
Years of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

Silver Contributor

Cattleman wrote:
A couple of nights ago, I caught "The Great American Read" on my local PBS station. The topic was Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Historical Fiction (see lindagenerally's post above). At the end, they showed the 100 novels that were nominated to be the No. 1 read. I was surprised at how man of them I had read over the years. (You can view the list at pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/).

They just closed the voting. Tune in 10/23 for results.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:31 am
Profile Email
Years of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

Silver Contributor

Litwitlou wrote:
Cattleman wrote:

They just closed the voting. Tune in 10/23 for results.

1,To Kill a Mockingbird
- Harper Lee

Outlander (Series)

Harry Potter (Series)

Pride and Prejudice

Lord of the Rings

Gone with the Wind

Charlotte's Web

Little Women

Chronicles of Narnia

Jane Eyre

Anne of Green Gables

Grapes of Wrath

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Book Thief

Great Gatsby

The Help

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

And Then There Were None

Atlas Shrugged

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:15 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.