• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

LeBron James shares wine with his children.. would you?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

LeBron James shares wine with his children.. would you?

Unread post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 36a3f6cb90

I'm not too sure I would

I found this, and it makes sense regarding brain development

Healthy brain development throughout childhood and adolescence is important for optimal neurocognitive performance, with even subtle changes in neurodevelopmental trajectories (e.g., changes in brain structural volume, cortical thickness, demyelination) affecting cognitive, emotional, and social functioning (Nagy et al., 2004; Casey et al., 2008). Altered brain development due to exposure of neurotoxins during adolescence, particularly alcohol, could set the stage for cognitive problems into adulthood, conferring functional consequences throughout life.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4321715/
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: LeBron James shares wine with his children.. would you?

Unread post

LeBron James is probably going to get himself into some serious trouble now that he publicly admit to giving his minor children alcohol. I'm sure many parents periodically allow their kids to sip on some wine on a special occasion but only a fool says so in an interview. And 11 and 14 years old is a bit young for such things. That article was written on Oct. 9th so it will be interesting to see the backlash he experiences in upcoming months because of that decision.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I'm sure many parents periodically allow their kids to sip on some wine on a special occasion but only a fool says so in an interview.
This used to be common in France, don't know if it still is. One benefit this provides is breaking down the allure of forbidden alcohol. Thinking of kids who never taste a drop, then go ape-$#1& crazy freshman year in college.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

LanDroid wrote;
One benefit this provides is breaking down the allure of forbidden alcohol.
Source for the above?

Look at this:

Research also shows that many adolescents start to drink at very young ages. In 2003, the average age of first use of alcohol was about 14, compared to about 17 1/2 in 1965 (7,8). People who reported starting to drink before the age of 15 were four times more likely to also report meeting the criteria for alcohol dependence at some point in their lives (9). In fact, new research shows that the serious drinking problems (including what is called alcoholism) typically associated with middle age actually begin to appear much earlier, during young adulthood and even adolescence.

Other research shows that the younger children and adolescents are when they start to drink, the more likely they will be to engage in behaviors that harm themselves and others. For example, frequent binge drinkers (nearly 1 million high school students nationwide) are more likely to engage in risky behaviors, including using other drugs such as marijuana and cocaine, having sex with six or more partners, and earning grades that are mostly Ds and Fs in school (10).
https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/AA67/AA67.htm

I admit the above study is a bit dated (2006), but I don't think this type of data would change all that much.

One thing about this place is that you'd better be able to back up your claims with evidence and provide credible citations that back them up.
If not, you may not like it here among us adults.

:P :lol: :lol: (that was a parody of what a someone posted to me in another topic)
Last edited by ant on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

One benefit this provides is breaking down the allure of forbidden alcohol.
I tend to agree with this statement but no I don't have sources to cite.

Likewise, Catholic priests abstain from sex and then eventually act out in a deviant fashion. Denying your natural urges for long enough will build up pressure and eventually lead to potential explosions of bad decisions and behaviors.

Ant, that study you cited... were they looking at kids who were given small quantities of table wine at family dinners and/or special occasions or kids who broke into dad's liquor cabinet (forbidden alcohol) after school and developed a drinking problem? I do see a difference.

Interesting topic.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Okay, here's more.. The study is linked on the Guardian article.

This study is allegedly based on the..,
European model of introducing children to alcohol by allowing them sips of their alcoholic drinks.

Here are the conclusions summarized:
After adjusting for factors known to influence adolescent drinking, including family structure, family conflict and personality traits, the researchers found parents supplying alcohol doubled the likelihood that teens would be drinking full serves of alcohol one year later.

But those who were supplied alcohol from sources other than their parents, such as by friends or siblings, were three times more likely to binge drink.

“These parentally-supplied children also consumed fewer drinks on a typical drinking occasion,” the study found.

However, the authors said: “Parents should be advised that supply of alcohol may increase children’s drinking.”

“This study answers a question that many parents ask: does the European model of providing alcohol to children work?,” she said. “The answer is no, and it doesn’t work in Europe either.”

So unless a person is satisfied that at the very least it does not necessarily lead to binge drinking, then I guess some parents might not think twice about doing what seems to be consistently found as potentially harmful, for several social and biological reasons.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... k-as-teens
Last edited by ant on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Interesting. And I'm glad to be learning about this now while my son is only 7 years old. I definitely want to make the right decisions.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Here are some interesting stats about Europe and alcohol from WHO

http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topic ... statistics
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

A big mistake American parents could make would be to go ahead and let their kids drink wine at meals--or even encourage them to--because "that's what they do in Europe, and French kids learn how to drink responsibly." What goes on at the dinner table in wine cultures like France, Spain, and Italy needs to be carefully researched. I strongly doubt that 11-year-old Jacques drinks a glass with the family. Maybe he's given just a taste if he has any at all. It's about passing on a culture to the children. I can see that it could be healthy to educate children on the qualities of wines that is separate from wine's potential to inebriate. The parents at the table would need to be drinking lightly in order to reinforce the importance of moderation. At the same time, it would be healthy to frankly admit that consuming alcohol affects mood, and that there is nothing bad about this if the individual enjoys that and doesn't overdo it.

We drank wine only rarely with dinner. We didn't offer any to the kids, but I think we allowed them to taste it once. They went, "Yuck!"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Well said, DWill.

Return to “Current Events & History”