Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
What are important things which parents must teach to their kids 
Official Newbie!

Post What are important things which parents must teach to their kids
There are certain core values that children must learn at home. If they don’t learn them at home, chances are they won’t learn them at all. Some of these core values are honesty, respect, kindness, diligence and tolerance. Children should be taught how to think for themselves and not to be swayed by peer pressure. Parents should teach their children that they don’t have to change or pretend to be someone different just to fit in. They have to be taught to be confident in who they are, that they have value and that they are loved just the way they are. It is the parent’s responsibility to teach them these things, it is not the school or the church’s responsibility.

Parents should also teach their children about such things as manners, discipline, obedience, consequences, good morals and of course truth. And when I say truth I actually mean Biblical truth. There is a truth out in the world today that is really pseudo or counterfeit truth. Pseudo truth changes depending on which way the wind is blowing. It’s more akin to a fad than anything else. Real truth, that is Biblical truth, does not change, it is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Parents are supposed to prepare their children to go out into the world. And that means maybe a parent can’t be their son or their daughter’s best friend. They might have to set up rules for their children to follow. The children may be mad at them frequently because they don’t want to do their homework, empty the trash, wash their own clothes or load the dishwasher. If parents do the right thing, their children will be prepared. If parents shirk on their duties, then the one they send out into the world will be like a child trying to figure out how the world works and that is a very precarious position to be in.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:47 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Post Re: What are important things which parents must teach to their kids
You sound like a wonderful parent. I strive to be too.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:07 am
Profile Email WWW
Asleep in Reading Chair

Bronze Contributor

Parents should teach their children to question everything, including their parents.

If not, you may not like it here among us adults." -- ant

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:20 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Needs a book hoarding intervention

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Once they're older, one area that parents should teach is sexual consent. Surprisingly, I just heard sex education in schools does not touch on consent because they can't be seen as encouraging that behavior. I expect abstinence only education programs never even hint at consent. Limits must be understood, we must turn this thing around...

The following user would like to thank LanDroid for this post:
Litwitlou
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:50 pm
Asleep in Reading Chair

Bronze Contributor

LanDroid wrote:
Once they're older, one area that parents should teach is sexual consent. Surprisingly, I just heard sex education in schools does not touch on consent because they can't be seen as encouraging that behavior. I expect abstinence only education programs never even hint at consent. Limits must be understood, we must turn this thing around...

Where did you folks learn about sex? Nobody taught me anything. Oh, some health teacher did tell us to wear condoms. That's all folks, and that ain't remotely good enough. The Puritan ethic has horrible effects. We've all been to high school and we all know a lot of sex goes on at that age. But we were all winging it. Not a good idea.

Luckily, I'm a book person and I picked up a copy of The Hite Report on Female Sexuality, by Shere Hite, at a used book sale.

If you don't know about this book let me quote the blurb from Good Reads:

Quote:
"A reproduction of the classic text, unavailable now for more than a decade, with a new introduction by the author. The Hite Report, first published in 1976, was a sexual revolution in six hundred pages. To answer sensitive questions dealing with the most intimate details of women's sexuality, Hite's innovation was simple: she asked women, a lot of them, everything--and published the results.
One hundred thousand women, ages fourteen to seventy-eight, were asked what they do and don't like about sex; how orgasm really feels, with and without intercourse; how it feels not to have an orgasm during sex; the importance of clitoral stimulation and masturbation; and to name the greatest pleasures and frustrations of their sexual lives, among many other questions."

books.google.com/books/about/The_Hite_R ... escription

Read that book cover to cover when I was 16. And a darned good thing, too. I was clueless. I kept thinking, "I didn't know that!" "I didn't know that!"

If not, you may not like it here among us adults." -- ant

The following user would like to thank Litwitlou for this post:
DWill
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:26 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

We have two girls, now almost 30 y-o. We didn't teach them about consent to sex, which was a mistake on our part, a lack of awareness. As far as we know, they were not assaulted, but we got lucky.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:51 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.