• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 736 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

Archeology

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Archeology

Unread post

I wanted to start a thread on general archeology. I try not to fall prey to click-bait, but sometimes I can't help it. Especially when it comes to articles about archeology. A while back I learned about Gobekli Tepe:

archive.archaeology.org/0811/abstracts/ ... urkey.html

telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/04/21/anci ... bc-wiping/

Please add links to articles, if you want. I'll add things from time to time.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Re: Archeology

Unread post

Brazil's National Museum burned. Bad, bad, bad.

Why Brazil's Museum Fire Matters

"This week, as the National Museum of Brazil filled with fire, the world learned about its vast holdings: over 20 million pieces of our history since the Pleistocene. These items—most of them now destroyed—included sarcophagi from Egypt, frescos from Pompeii, one of the oldest human skeletons found in Americas, and the largest assemblage of Brazilian archaeological material in the world. Collectively the individual items formed collections resulting from 200 years of curation, research, and care by people whose work illuminated and preserved our past. In the wake of the conflagration, there is dawning despair about further losses that can’t be counted or measured…the loss of knowledge that still hasn't been explored...."

blogs.scientificamerican.com/observatio ... e-matters/
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Wreck of Captain Cook's HMS Endeavour 'discovered' off US coast

The possible discovery of HMS Endeavour off the east coast of the US has been hailed as a “hugely significant moment” in Australian history, but researchers have warned they are yet to “definitively” confirm whether the wreck has been located.

On Wednesday Fairfax Media reported archaeologists from the Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project, or Rimap, had pinpointed the final resting place of the famous vessel in which Captain James Cook reached Australia in 1770.

The ship was later used by the British royal navy in the American war of independence and was eventually scuttled with a dozen other vessels off Newport, Rhode Island in 1778....

theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/sep ... of-america

Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

The 250th anniversary of Cook's departure from the UK on his voyage to discover Australia and prove the distance from the earth to the sun was this year.

James Cook was a magnificent hero of the age of enlightenment. Unsurprisingly, the many critics who reject the political legitimacy of the Australian state have conspired to ignore his astounding achievements.
Devie
Official Newbie!

Unread post

The most interesting part about archaeology for me is when we get to be a detective of the past. It's similar to learning the history of architecture which allows us to understand how things work in the past through what's left behind. The fieldwork isn't my stuff, though.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

This is a new one for me:

These Ancient Fire Mummies Were Made By Literally Blowing Tobacco Smoke Inside Them
webnewsys.com/2018/12/these-ancient-fir ... de-by.html

Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Lucy is my favorite hominin because I am an avid student of anthropology and I believe she represents... Bah!

Truth is The Beatles are my favorite band and when I learned how she was named I took an interest.

1. She was named after The Beatles song 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'
After making the discovery, paleoanthropologist Donald Johanson headed back to his campsite with his team.
He put a Beatles cassette in the tape player, and when Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds came on, one of the group said he should call the skeleton Lucy.
"All of a sudden, she became a person," Johanson told the BBC.

2. Lucy walked upright
One of the most important things about Lucy is the way she walked. By studying her bones, in particular the structure of her knee and spine curvature, scientists were able to discover that she spent most of her time walking on two legs - a striking human-like trait.

3. No one knows how she died
The few clues we have about Lucy's cause of death can only rule things out, rather than provide solid answers.
Lucy died as a young but fully grown adult, and stood only 1.1m (3.7ft) tall and weighed in at a paltry 29kg (64lb).

4. Lucy still lives in Ethiopia, near to where she was found
The skeleton of Lucy lies hidden away from the public in a specially constructed safe in the National Museum of Ethiopia in Addis Ababa, not far from where she was discovered.
Only a plaster replica of her skeleton is available to be seen by the public.

5. She was pretty short
Australopithecus afarensis may have walked upright and looked somewhat human-like, but they were much smaller than we are. Lucy died as a young but fully grown adult, and stood only 1.1m (3.7ft) tall and weighed in at a paltry 29kg (64lb).

independent.co.uk/news/science/who-is-l ... 45696.html
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Archaeologists Find First-Known Temple of ‘Flayed Lord’ in Mexico

smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/temple-fl ... 180971165/

Ship that Disappeared in Lake Michigan Discovered in Perfect Condition 116 Years Later

http://www.mr-mehra.com/2019/01/ship-th ... higan.html
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Looks like tis is going to be a very interesting web site.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Not really archeology, but I stumbled across an interesting history website:

http://www.emersonkent.com/

I was looking at the Mexican Revolution timelines there.

Some time ago I did a scanning project tangentially connected to the Mexican Revolution. A schoolteacher's photo album. I made a pdf from the scans:

mikesheedy.com/other-stuff/presidio-tex ... 1911-1914/

Several academics have contacted me wanting to use high resolution images from the project, and I've heard from a couple of people whose ancestors are pictured in the collection. One woman had zero photos of her great granddad, and I was able to email her five.

By the way, the new heavyweight boxing champion is a Mexican-American. Andy Ruiz, Jr. He got the match-up at the last minute, when the proper contender couldn't make the fight. The reigning champ was supposed to make short work of Ruiz (odds were 25-1). The video below shows highlights from one of the most impressive sports feats I've ever seen. Ruiz won this fight just 3 days ago.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ4P1ySqbLg

Return to “Science & Technology”