Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:22 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Are you having connection problems to BookTalk.org? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Are you having connection problems to BookTalk.org?
If you're having problems connecting to BookTalk.org I'd sure like to know. Please make a post here and describe what is happening. Is it every time? Are pages simply slow to load? We want to know of any problems you're experiencing so they can be addressed.

Thank you!

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:23 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Bookasaurus

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Re: Are you having connection problems to BookTalk.org?
Well I've already sent you my details, but here goes anyway. BookTalk is about the only web site I cannot connect to with standard methods from home. I receive this error message: "The connection has timed out. The server at booktalk.org is taking too long to respond." This happens with Firefox, Chrome, and M$ Internet Explorer. I have cable internet access through Spectrum in Cincinnati OH. This has been going on for several months.

I am able to connect from work, but that could be a career-killing habit. :shock:

I have been able to connect from home using the Opera browser which has a built in free VPN. However I notice that tends to log me out frequently as I move around the site. I recently found that Tor works better at keeping me logged in. Although both methods actually slow response times (Tor more than Opera) due to all the fancy network stuff going on, they do allow me to connect to Booktalk. I don't know why a VPN or Tor would improve connectivity to this site, that makes no sense to me. Perhaps something strange is happening locally and those techniques get around the problem.

I believe KindaSkolarly has a similar situation. Anyone else? We need to determine how widespread this is...

On Edit:
1. I attempted to get help from Spectrum, but not successful.
2. This web site indicates Booktalk is down:
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/booktalk.org.html
3. This web site indicates Booktalk is OK:
https://down.com/?q=booktalk.org

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:32 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: Are you having connection problems to BookTalk.org?
I really appreciate this detailed explanation. As soon as David gets back from his vacation I will have him look deeply into this issue. We need to resolve it quickly. Thank you very much for sharing.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:36 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membership
Intern

I have to use a proxy server, can't go straight to the site. I believe I'm signed in from Germany at the moment. Danke schön, Deutschland.

Timing out is an issue. If I read too long or type too long on a post, the page might not refresh. That can cause the post to be lost. And if I don't sign in again in order to sign out, I remain logged on. Curious situation.

The following user would like to thank KindaSkolarly for this post:
Chris OConnor
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:50 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Wow, I definitely don't like the sound of this. I'll have David look into it just as soon as he is back in town. Sorry for the inconvenience. We will get it resolved.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:00 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

BookTalk.org will go down very soon. It shouldn't be down more than 12 to 24 hours. After it comes back up please let me know if your connection problems have gotten better. We're starting on the Cloudflare service. It might take a day or two to start speeding up. I'm not sure.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

We're now using the Cloudflare service so I really would appreciate any feedback you can offer on how you're connecting to BookTalk.org. Any problems? Is the page load speed OK?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:29 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Testing in Chrome

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:43 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Firefox users were not able to create new threads or reply to existing threads for the past 24 hours. But that issue has been resolved. Please give me feedback if you are having connectivity issues everyone.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:36 pm
Profile Email WWW
Bookasaurus

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Logged in from home with standard browser, no VPN or Tor. Will check further later...

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:30 am

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Please do. Thanks LanDroid.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:15 am
Profile Email WWW
Bookasaurus

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Re: Are you having connection problems to BookTalk.org?
Seems downright snappy now! :bananadance:
There's a strange progress bar that takes about 2 seconds to load, but everything looks visible right away.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I'm so glad things have sped up for you! That progress bar is optional. I have it on right now but if it ever gets annoying we can disable it.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:54 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Booktacular!

Gold Contributor

I typed a longish reply to the ‘Hint- We need a debate about religion’ forum. It wouldn’t upload and I think it might have been because I included emojis....or not? However, I then went on to post a couple of short, succinct comments which posted easily. So it was probably God wot intervened.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:52 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Penelope, you may have made some sort of error when attempting to post your message. Next time you have such a problem a screenshot or simply a copy and paste of the exact error message will help us get to the bottom of it. I'm not sure what happened when you say, "It wouldn’t upload..." Was there an error message?

I do know how frustrating it can be to lose a long post so I am really sorry that happened to you.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:32 am
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next