• In total there are 27 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Left's Children's Crusade

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: The Left's Children's Crusade

Unread post

You can hype the level of threat in today's U.S if you want to, but the facts don't back up what the NRA wants us to believe: that we're all in mortal danger when we leave the house --and while we're in it,too, come to think of it. I prefer not to end up like the guy who shot his wife twice, thinking she was the burglar they both had "heard" a half hour earlier.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Hmm.

I placed an entry in the wrong thread last night. The one that was here was supposed to be in the Swamp Draining thread, so I've moved it over there. I have to use a proxy to get in here now, and what with timeouts and proxy URLs, things get confusing. My apologies.
Last edited by KindaSkolarly on Wed May 23, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:I'm not worried about being talked down to. Have at it. What worries me is the need to see invisible strings determining my views. I think things through for myself, and arrive at my own conclusions. I'm not going to argue that no one on the left takes their views from a herd mentality (or the right either) but it strikes me as spectacular when someone simply cannot fathom the idea that the other side is thinking.
This is the best snip from this thread. How do you justify dismissing the entire side of the spectrum you're opposed to because you think they can't come to rational conclusions? As if there aren't people a lot smarter than any of us with polar opposite views from our own. We need to expose ourselves to the intelligent members of the opposite party, rather than engaging with the fringe lunatics from the opposite side.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Unread post

Interbane wrote:This is the best snip from this thread. How do you justify dismissing the entire side of the spectrum you're opposed to because you think they can't come to rational conclusions? As if there aren't people a lot smarter than any of us with polar opposite views from our own. We need to expose ourselves to the intelligent members of the opposite party, rather than engaging with the fringe lunatics from the opposite side.

Over on the book discussion site, you will find an interesting observation by Yuval Noah Harari in his book Sapiens on this subject:
"Contradictions are an inseparable part of every human culture. In fact, they are culture’s engines, responsible for the creativity and dynamism of our species. Just as when two clashing musical notes played together force a piece of music forward, so discord in our thoughts, ideas and values compel us to think, re-evaluate and criticise. Consistency is the playground of dull minds."
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:Interesting comments. Yes Alinsky was a genius, but then so was Ted Bundy. Both were good at what they did, good to the point of genius. But Bundy killed fewer than Alinsky, and Alinsky's destruction will continue for who knows how much longer?
So I went looking on Wikipedia to see if I could figure out how Alinsky killed people. I found that he organized a fart-in and a piss-in, but neither actually had to happen. His points were made.

I found that he was unwilling to join parties or ideologies or movements, because he insisted on retaining his own independence to think for himself, saying
"If you don't have that, if you think you've got an inside track to absolute truth, you become doctrinaire, humorless and intellectually constipated. The greatest crimes in history have been perpetrated by such religious and political and racial fanatics,"

I found out that Newt Gingrich paid him the ultimate compliments, by copying his tactics and by accusing his enemies, such as Billary, of doing so.

Sounds just like Ted Bundy to me, especially the part about not wanting to be humorless and intellectually constipated.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote: I have to use a proxy to get in here now, and what with timeouts and proxy URLs, things get confusing. My apologies.
Have to use a proxy? What's up with that? Is Chris censoring you (not to jump to conclusions, because I don't expect that is the case, but if it is, I would like to hear about it.)
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

No it's not "censorship," I have to connect through a VPN from home due to timeouts, etc. I can connect from work (like now), but that's a career-killing move...

BTW, the Opera browser has a free built in VPN...
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

We must feel sorry for the elephant in that cartoon - he has a Phd in Victimology, so he's super-sensitive. Let's review a timeline and some of the reasons why the elephant feels he is being treated unfairly.
  • Elephants are not separating children from families at the border. That would be bad.
  • Wait, yes we are, but hold on - that is a good thing! Separation is a serious deterrent, it's what law breakers deserve.
  • The Bible requires us to enforce the law. There is absolutely nothing the administration can do about this, Congress must act. An Executive Order cannot fix this terrible problem.
  • At this point it is most important to have a linguistic discussion of chain link and whether that constitutes a wall, a cage, a detention center, or a tent city camp. Controlling the language of propaganda is more important than taking action.
  • Asylum Schmylum! Those children are not from Idaho or Texas, so who cares? Clearly Melania does not!
  • Since Congress did not act instantly on conflicting instructions, the President signed an Executive Order ending the practice of child separation. Give Him all the credit - isn't He the Embodiment of American Greatness?
  • We don't know where all the children are and some of the parents may have been deported. We do not have a process to unify these families.
    No one, not even an elephant could have predicted any of these problems! Congress must act to clean all this up.
  • Congress should stop wasting time on immigration. Even though we control Congress, the Senate, and the Presidency, we don't have enough power to improve the situation. We must wait until after the mid-term elections when even more elephants will be in power.
  • You are manipulating children to criticize elephants! I agree with that cartoon, you are SO unfair! STOP!
  • Stay tuned for more examples of elephantine skills in management, leadership, and statesmanship...
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

Return to “Current Events & History”