Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:18 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
What are you currently reading? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Gold Contributor

Highscores: 6

Post Re: What are you currently reading?
Oooooh that looks interesting. I'll have to make room in the to read "pile" for that one.

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:41 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membership
Intern

Highscores: 5

I recently finished The Black Farm. It's not great.

I'm currently reading John Dies at the End, The Investigators of Arkham Horror, Skeptic magazine, board game rules, the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy, the complete works of Lovecraft, and the King James Bible.

The following user would like to thank Murmur for this post:
froglipz
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:26 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Gold Contributor

John Dies at the end was great! I also liked the sequel, "This Book Is Full Of Spiders".

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:11 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

After finishing Ta-Nehisi Coates' We Were Eight Years in Power, I realized I'd never read The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. It's a brief book and very powerful. Given special attention are the devoutly religious masters Douglass had, men who unfailingly were the most inhumane that Douglass was able to observe.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:59 pm
Years of membership
Intern

I did a search of “booktalk.org Lovecraft,” and I was surprised to find that there’s no thread devoted to him or his writing. H.P. Lovecraft. Horror, early 20th century. Maybe there IS a thread but I missed it. This is the one that turned up in the search, and I see that Lovecraft is mentioned.

At any rate, I’ve put together a page of audiobook recordings of his work. Link below:

mikesheedy.com/other-stuff/other-people ... lovecraft/

To my ear the prose is well suited to the audiobook format. It’s mostly large chunks of descriptive writing, with little to no dialogue (voice actors trying to imitate characters’ speech often sound...forced).

You can right-click the links on the page to open the pdf and a recording at the same time, to read along if you want. I recommend listening/reading to “Dagon” at least. It’s less than 15 minutes long and is a good introduction to Lovecraft’s work. Some consider him to be the father of “cosmic horror.”

Thu May 31, 2018 5:42 pm
Profile Email
Years of membership
Intern

I've spent the past few days focused on The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I came across a reading of it that I liked and wanted to post it, the recording, along with a pdf of the poem. But I couldn't find a decent pdf, so I put one together.

mikesheedy.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/ ... ariner.pdf

mikesheedy.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/ ... Welles.mp3

The first link goes to the pdf, the second to the recording. You can right-click each for opening in separate windows, if you want to read and listen at the same time.

I really like the recording. Atmospheric music and sound effects, and the inimitable Orson Welles reading. The recording's about 40 minutes long and worth listening to, IMHO. Welles was great at this kind of work.

These are new links and sometimes they're hinky. But they should work. You can save the pdf to your hard drive.

The following user would like to thank KindaSkolarly for this post:
Harry Marks
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:28 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

I am currently reading Sahara by Michael Palin. It is the basis of the TV series of the same name. While I have seen the series, I thought reading the book would enhance the experience. I'm less than half way through it but it is immensely enjoyable with some fantastic photographs to boot.

The following user would like to thank Rae for this post:
thecopperbath
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:27 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Mindshift by Barbara Oakley

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:10 am
Profile Email
Years of membership
Intern

I'm putting together a web page about Damon Runyon, so I've read a couple of his stories lately. He was a newspaperman and short story writer. I believe the bulk of his fiction is contained in 3 books published in 1937-38. All 3 of them are in this pdf:

https://mikesheedy.com/wp-content/uploa ... mnibus.pdf

Runyon may have the most recognizable style of writing I've ever come across. And his stories make me think of O. Henry's.

The Damon Runyon Theater ran on radio during 1949. Episodes of the program can be found here:

https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Damon_Runyon_Singles

If you're not familiar with Runyon, his stories might come as a nice surprise.

EDIT: I finished the webpage I was working on. It's here. Everything seems to be working:
mikesheedy.com/other-stuff/other-people ... on-runyon/
Deleted the Omnibus upload at the earlier link. A web search will turn it up...pdf with pink cover, nearly 2000 pages.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:27 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

I am currently reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I have really enjoyed the book so far!

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Currently reading Time Travel: a History by James Gleick. Fascinating concepts on Time with lot of literary references.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:54 am
Profile Email
Almost Comfortable

Right this minute I am done with The Left Hand Of Darkness by Ursula K. Guin and, right now (really!), I am beginning my new read: The Blind Assissin by Margaret Atwood.

:clap:

Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:12 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nobel Laureate in Literature

Highscores: 1

Interesting coincidence, crios, as I also just completed "The Left Hand of Darkness." An older book, but a good one. Currently (not unusual for me to be reading more than one book at once), I am reading "The Traveling Cat Chronicles," by Hiro Arikawa. Originally written in Japanese, I am reading the translation by Philip Gabriel. Deeper than the title sounds, I may recomment it for discussion in the Fiction Book forum.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:17 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Crios and Cattleman, we discussed The Left Hand of Darkness back in 2010. The discussion was not very active but you always could add your thoughts to the forum.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:50 am
Profile Email WWW
Almost Comfortable

Re: What are you currently reading?
I'm just added a non-fiction book to my current reading mix: Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson. :up:

The following user would like to thank crios for this post:
Cattleman, Chris OConnor
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:12 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next