• In total there are 33 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Should Donald Trump be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Poll ended at Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:52 pm

Yes

No votes
No

100%

Total votes: 7
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

From CNN, two days ago:

Trump deserves Nobel for role in talks with North, South Korea's leader says

(CNN) South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Monday that US President Donald Trump would be a worthy winner of the Nobel Peace Prize for his involvement in the warming of relations with North Korea.

A former South Korean President, Kim Dae-jung, won the prize in 2000 for his role in setting up a previous summit with North Korea, and his widow suggested Monday that Moon should also get the award.

Moon demurred in response, saying the US President ought to get it instead. "President Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize. The only thing we need is peace," Moon said during a Cabinet meeting on Monday, according to the Blue House, the South Korean presidential office.

cnn.com/2018/04/30/asia/south-korea-tru ... index.html

EDIT: I just went back and enabled the feature that allows you to change your vote. Trump can change things in the blink of a tweet, so it's only fair that we should also be able to change. And I think I've set the poll to expire at about the time the award is announced.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Re: Should Donald Trump be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?

Unread post

I'm afraid I don't follow the politics of this administration as thoroughly as I should, so I am not at all certain how much of this progress is actually progress and how much of it he is actually responsible for. I will be listening to the pundits and reading the articles for a few days until the next thing comes along.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Based on where things stand at the moment: No. However, if these talks lead to peace / denuclearization and Trump is critical to that process, then he would deserve the Nobel. (Otherwise I expect it would be awarded only to the two leaders of North and South Korea. Or the whole thing could fall apart as with previous initiatives from NK.) But what if Trump also starts a war with Iran, Syria, or elsewhere? That prize would have to be rescinded.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

I have to vote No on this. Trump has killed since becoming president. He may have had sound reasons for killing but still, I have to vote no. And then there's the war cabinet he's assembling for Iran...

But he should be credited for breaking the stalemate on the Korean situation. From what I've read, he 1) insisted on REAL sanctions instead of just lip-service sanctions. He went head-to-head with China over this, and they blinked. NK suffered the loss of supplies even from China. Trump also 2) threatened to annihilate NK. Kim Jong-un seems to have taken him seriously because 3) Trump doubled down on war games that the US and allies were conducting in and around South Korea a few months ago. Kim finally snapped. He asked if he and his family would be spared during regime change. And then the flow of good news began.

In my opinion NK was finally faced with a US president who might actually carry through with regime change. Trump should be credited with a major international success if this works out, but no Peace Prize. I also think that Obama's Peace Prize should be rescinded. Didn't Jimmy Carter serve his entire term without involving the US in armed conflicts? Give him Obama's prize.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

It's silly in the first place that a peace prize is given every year, regardless of whether a major achievement in advancing peace has really occurred. I'd favor abolishing the whole thing anyway, to avoid absurd situations like Aung San Suu Kyi of Myanmar, the 1991 winner, participating in the Rohingya genocide.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Makes sense. Let's give Donald a peace prize for not starting a war yet. For not having done really much of anything yet except running his big mouth and getting himself in unnecessary trouble. Well, he has one big accomplishment: He's broken up a record number of families. Give him credit for that one, folks--he earned it.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=253&amp ... 838gS8nwas

Apparently that's a film that the Trump team showed to Kim Jong-un at the start of their one-on-one meeting. It's careful not to insult Kim and it dangles a big carrot in front of him. Trump will always be a real estate huckster. And maybe Kim wants nothing more than to have hotels and bikinis on his beaches. We shall see.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

I had to laugh at Trump's assessment of NK real estate potential. "They have beautiful beaches. You can see it whenever they show pictures of them shooting their cannons into the water." Not his exact words, but something genuinely funny there, I thought. There is some great comedy to made from this whole Trump thing, something way better than Alec Baldwin's flaccid imitations.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Kim Jong-un’s father was a movie enthusiast. He loved western cinema. He even kidnapped South Korea’s leading film director and held him for years in the north so he could make movies there. So Kim Jong-un probably has a special place in his heart for movies. Trump showing him a 4-minute film where he, Kim, is the hero, well that was probably quite exhilarating for Kim.

And the liberal media’s mocking of Trump for the video is expected. Democrats have been pissed off since they had their slaves freed. They’ve been pissed off since their Bolshevik soulmates lost the Cold War. Now they’re pissed off that Comrade Klinton wasn’t able to cheat her way into the White House.

Trump’s doing what he can to close the deal on North Korea, but I don’t expect he sees much beyond the real estate possibilities. He probably believes, truly believes, that building hotels will lead to a boom in the North Korean economy and the rest will take care of itself.

The problem is, Trump is serving the interests of globalism with this approach. In 20 years NK will be drowning in debt. The World Bank will see to that.

The World Bank and the International Monetary Fund are the United Nations’ banking arms. The IMF has 189 members at the moment, and there are only 195 countries in the world. Back when G.W. Bush listed his 7 Axis of Evil countries, the 7 were ones that didn’t have branches of the World Bank controlling their economies (central banks answerable to the World Bank). North Korea was at the top of the Axis list. So, NK has been in the World Bank’s crosshairs for a long time, and now Trump is showing their insane leader video puff pieces which end with NK as the jet-set’s new vacation spot. Kim won’t be able to resist the Hollyweirdness of it. He’ll sign NK on to ruinous loans, and eventually the World Bank will foreclose and take possession of the country. That’s communist totalitarianism, Rothschild-style.

There’s an interesting article called “The Globalizer Who Came In From the Cold,” written by Greg Palast back in 2001. Nobel Prize Economist Joseph Stiglitz ‘splained to Palast how the IMF and the World Bank take control of countries by bribing corrupt officials:

gregpalast.com/the-globalizer-who-came- ... -the-cold/

That article outlines what’s in store for North Korea if it takes the IMF’s money. Their future will resemble what Argentina’s going through now. The piece below talks about Argentina.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-07/ ... er-economy

Argentina was OK’d for a 50 billion dollar loan from the IMF a week ago. The IMF gets countries into a position where they can’t repay their loans, then they begin doling out money so that the desperate governments can pay the INTEREST on the loans. Of course that solves nothing, so another loan is arranged, then another... The Palast/Stiglitz article talks about it. Don’t believe the BS mainstream media when it says the IMF is performing humanitarian loans. The goal is to completely gut the borrowing countries.

And the Leftist media is clueless to what’s going on. In fairness I guess the Right is too. And it’s that ignorance that the totalitarian bankers count on. At the end of this Korean “peace process,” NK will be brought into the fold of the World Bank and there will be one less financial loose cannon in the world. The North Koreans’ new “prosperity” will be short-lived, but maybe they’ll be left with a nice golf course or two.

Return to “Current Events & History”