• In total there are 33 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Unjustly neglected poets

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Redcraze
Getting Comfortable

Unjustly neglected poets

Unread post

Writers can be neglected for any number of reasons. Sometimes they just fall out of fashion, sometimes their political views are no longer accepted. Sometimes their reputations revive, sometimes they do not. WH Auden vividly expressed the hope that, in the long run, poets would get the recognition they deserve:

Time that is intolerant
Of the brave and innocent
And indifferent in a week
To a beautiful physique
Worships language and forgives
Everyone by whom it lives:
Pardons cowardice, conceit,
Lays its honours at their feet.

In the hope of starting a discussion, I nominate Roy Campbell as a wonderful poet who is now seldom read.
"The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards." - William Francis Butler
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Unjustly neglected poets

Unread post

Redcraze wrote:Roy Campbell as a wonderful poet who is now seldom read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Campbell_(poet) - frozen out for being a South African/British right wing intellectual
Redcraze
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

That's the main reason. Also he was a pugnacious fellow and personally antagonised most of the leading writers of his generation and wrote satirical poems about them. Sometimes he's a bit self-indulgent but at his best he's a poet and a half!! One example:The Zulu Girl, though written long ago, is still an effective and ominous prophecy about the future of South Africa:

When in the sun the hot red acres smoulder
Down where the sweating gang its labour plies
A girl flings down her hoe, and from her shoulder
Unslings her child tormented by the flies.

She takes him to a ring of shadow pooled
By thorn-trees: purpled with the blood of ticks,
While her sharp nails, in slow caresses ruled
Prowl through his hair with sharp electric clicks.

His sleepy mouth, plugged by the heavy nipple,
Tugs like a puppy, grunting as he feels;
Through his frail nerves her own deep languors ripple
Like a broad river sighing through its reeds.

Yet in that drowsy stream his flesh imbibes
And old unquenched, unsmotherable heat;
The curbed ferocity of beaten tribes,
The sullen dignity of their defeat.

Her body looms above him like a hill
Within whose shade a village lies at rest,
Or the first cloud so terrible and still
That bears the coming harvest in its breast.

His translations from Spanish, Portugese and French used to be praised, even by people who disliked him , but I don't know those languages well enough for my opinion to mean anything.
"The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards." - William Francis Butler
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

A translation should be judged as dull or electric by a native speaker of the translation. Getting meaning is easy, getting feel is poetry.
Redcraze
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Yes. Since Campbell lived for years in Spain and Portugal he spoke the languages colloquially.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Anyone else like Dorothy Parker poems? She's often funny and sad at the same time. Works for me.
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

In terms of a reading public, just about any poet can be called unjustly neglected. Maybe Witlitlou is talking about neglect by academics and critics, a very small circle.

Billy Collins might be the closest thing to a popular poet around today. I don't find his stuff compelling, what I've read of it. But I can't claim to be taking the pulse of contemporary poetry, so can't say anything about who is being neglected. The only poetry I've read much in the past year is Philip Larkin's collected poems. I can't imagine there's a better post-war poet.

For me, the "best" poetry has some formalism, and that quality is missing in most contemporary poetry. The Roy Campbell example doesn't follow that trend, so I might like him.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

DWill wrote:In terms of a reading public, just about any poet can be called unjustly neglected. Maybe Witlitlou is talking about neglect by academics and critics, a very small circle.

For me, the "best" poetry has some formalism, and that quality is missing in most contemporary poetry. The Roy Campbell example doesn't follow that trend, so I might like him.

Contemporary poetry is beyond me. Maybe I miss the subtlety, but mostly I think the Emperor has new clothes.
Donald J. Trump
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Litwitlou wrote:
DWill wrote:In terms of a reading public, just about any poet can be called unjustly neglected. Maybe Witlitlou is talking about neglect by academics and critics, a very small circle.

Contemporary poetry is beyond me. Maybe I miss the subtlety, but mostly I think the Emperor has new clothes.
Do you think there is any parallel between modern art and poetry here, as far as the emperor being clothed or not?
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

DWill wrote:
Litwitlou wrote:

Do you think there is any parallel between modern art and poetry here, as far as the emperor being clothed or not?
Not exactly sure how to compare physical art to poetry, but there is some contemporary art I can appreciate whereas, hard as I try, modern poetry eludes me. Much of it reads like prose with line breaks inserted to make it look like a poem. And some contemporary poems, I'm not sure if I'm qualified to say this because I've seen some of these poems lauded in books, but some are just bad. I read them and think, "Wow, that's so bad I can't call it a poem." Dr. Seuss writes better poetry than some of the contemporary stuff I've read.

As to art, recently in the news we've seen the fearless little bronze girl statue facing off against the Wall St Bull. I like her.

Eleven years ago I saw the 7,500 "Gates" installed in Central Park by Christo. Many people say they're orange but to me they were more saffron. I thought they were just wonderful. I live ten miles from Times Square and I've seen some spectacular works in Manhattan. Many events were free, including the unforgettable Paul Simon concert on the Great Meadow. So I'm happier with the art than the contemporary poetry although although poetry is my favorite form of art, if that makes any sense.
Donald J. Trump

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”