Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Ch. 1 through 3 of Hillbilly Elegy 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Post Re: Ch. 1 through 3 of Hillbilly Elegy
Jethro goes to Washington
Attachment:
File comment: From the Beverley Hillbillies
President Jethro.png
President Jethro.png [ 131.32 KiB | Viewed 2224 times ]

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:00 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Freshman

Silver Contributor

At the end of chapter 2 Vance tells us of the song Dwight Yoakam wrote about his own move from southern Kentucky. Vance tells us that the lyrics could have come straight out of Mamaw's diary:

"They thought readin', writin', Route 23 would take them to the good life that they had never seen;
They didn't know that old highway would lead them to the world of misery."

I'm still working my way through the book, but took some time to learn Yoakam's song which captures some elements of the book.
As I struggle to learn the guitar in my retirement, this is my version of Yoakam's song.

Attachment:
The attachment Reading, Writin', Route 23.MP3 is no longer available

Attachments:

Reading, Writin', Route 23.MP3 [ 7.57 MiB | Viewed 2169 times ]

The following user would like to thank LevV for this post:
Harry Marks
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:09 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

Can't listen to the clip, LevV, but good for you to be taking up guitar. Picking up a new skill is something to think about for retirement. I've been in the retirement game for about 8 mos. One thing I'm finding is that when I worked I had to try to use my time effectively. I didn't always succeed, but the pressure helped. Now that the pressure is gone, I'm the best, or worst, fritterer of time I can think of. Focus, that's the thing.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
Harry Marks
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:06 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Freshman

Silver Contributor

Thanks for the encouragement DWill. It has become my favorite pastime giving me much enjoyment.

I still struggle with the operation of this site. After some editing I ended up with these messages I couldn't get rid of. The thing is, I am able to open and hear the recording on my computer. It opens in my "GrooveMusic" app.

The following user would like to thank LevV for this post:
Harry Marks
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:30 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

LevV wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement DWill. It has become my favorite pastime giving me much enjoyment.

I still struggle with the operation of this site. After some editing I ended up with these messages I couldn't get rid of. The thing is, I am able to open and hear the recording on my computer. It opens in my "GrooveMusic" app.

Wow, Levv. It sounds great. You're singing too? Nice job. You have a good voice for country music.

The Booktalk link gives me a "plug-in failed to load" message, but the MP3 downloaded fine to my computer.

I dabble with the guitar too, but I don't think I could play this song. I might give it a try anyway.

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:59 pm
Freshman

Silver Contributor

Glad you were able to open the damn thing geo - and happy to hear you enjoyed it. I don't sing much country but I did have a good time learning this one. There were a few lines that gave me some trouble and since you also dabble with the guitar you likely know where they are.
Besides connecting with the story, I had another reason to learn this piece - Dwight Yoakam has my first name :yes:

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:27 pm
Profile Email
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

LevV wrote:
Glad you were able to open the damn thing geo - and happy to hear you enjoyed it. I don't sing much country but I did have a good time learning this one.

Hey, Dwight :-D , I wish you would post a video on YouTube. Strangely there are no guitar lessons of this song, and it seems a good one for beginners.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:34 pm
Freshman

Silver Contributor

geo wrote:
Hey, Dwight , I wish you would post a video on YouTube. Strangely there are no guitar lessons of this song, and it seems a good one for beginners.

I'm not ready for that. You might try doing what I did. I went to UltimateGuitar.com for the chords and lyrics. I then played along with the original until I was satisfied with the results. He plays it in the key of D, three chords only: D,A and G.
I'd be interested in hearing how you make out with it.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:38 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

I had a cassette of Dwight Yoakam back in the day, singing greats like Home of the Blues by Johnny Cash. Here is Route 23

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Harry Marks
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:16 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2