Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Have you read the whole Bible? 
Years of membership
Master Debater

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Penelope wrote:
Huffing and Puffing!!

You ever been on a Christian Forum? Bishop is actually telling the truth. Most if not all of these Christian forums have no patience with those who question their belief system...I as well have been banned from quite a few of them myself...The way I see religion in any form is that it's just an excuse for having to die is all it is.....I try my best to avoid religion forums even here because fact of the matter is it's a useless endeavor.

The following user would like to thank Under_Taker for this post:
Gnostic Bishop
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:02 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Hello Under Taker

No, I’ve never been on a Christian forum myself. I’m all in favour of humanity not separating ourselves from one another. I advocate not giving ourselves labels. Cos we are not our labels, but we are influenced by where we are born and in what circumstances. We can’t help that.

If people are in need, help them if they ask. That is not as easy as it sounds.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

The following user would like to thank Penelope for this post:
Under_Taker
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:42 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

I have been barred from our town webpage though for saying that I didn’t like the ‘concrete’ redevelopment of out town centre. It hurt and made me angry and a bit bitter to feel excluded. Therefore I understand why Gnostic Bishop is a bit prickly. Bless Him! Bless you both.

Rafael Sabatini

Under_Taker
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:33 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Under_Taker wrote:
Penelope wrote:
Huffing and Puffing!!

You ever been on a Christian Forum? Bishop is actually telling the truth. Most if not all of these Christian forums have no patience with those who question their belief system...I as well have been banned from quite a few of them myself...The way I see religion in any form is that it's just an excuse for having to die is all it is.....I try my best to avoid religion forums even here because fact of the matter is it's a useless endeavor.

Mostly correct my friend, but religions are shrinking and free thinkers are rising thanks to those who see the evils in religions and are willing to argue against their ideologies.

When you get disappointed or fed up, just remember that for evil to grow, all good people need do is nothing.

I have little to nothing to gain by engaging and suffering their insults, I am beyond their reach and effects in any direct way, but I think I owe it to all the gays and women still being discriminated against without a just cause as well as my present and future children and grand children be they male or female, gay or straight.

If we leave it to others to gain equality of opportunity for all, they may never get it.

Regards
DL

The following user would like to thank Gnostic Bishop for this post:
Harry Marks
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:20 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Penelope wrote:
Hello Under Taker

No, I’ve never been on a Christian forum myself. I’m all in favour of humanity not separating ourselves from one another. I advocate not giving ourselves labels. Cos we are not our labels, but we are influenced by where we are born and in what circumstances. We can’t help that.

If people are in need, help them if they ask. That is not as easy as it sounds.

True but it is not as hard as you might think either when the site lets you have a voice.

If you have to wait till women and gays ask you for help, then you are ignoring the fact that they are religion's longest ongoing victims.

Regards
DL

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:23 pm
Profile Email

Penelope wrote:
I have been barred from our town webpage though for saying that I didn’t like the ‘concrete’ redevelopment of out town centre. It hurt and made me angry and a bit bitter to feel excluded. Therefore I understand why Gnostic Bishop is a bit prickly. Bless Him! Bless you both.

As long as that blessing does not comer from the Abrahamic God, I will take it.

"a bit prickly"

I feel like a failure then.

I wish to be a belief in supernatural Gods destroyer, which is a cut above prickly.

One scholar I follow says his greatest frustration is finding a pleasant way to have theists recognize that their belief in the supernatural is not a sign of intelligence.

I too have not found the words that basically say, you are stupid and or delusional, in a nice way.

Regards
DL

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:31 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Ah, well you see, I think it’s more important to be kind than to appear intelligent.

I do try to be honest. But I think I would lie before I would hurt someone’s feelings needlessly.

To tell someone they are stupid doesn’t really achieve anything. And as for delusional....Well, Do I delude myself? It might be a way of staying sane, I grant you that.

Whilst I also reject the peevish god as depicted in the OT. The idea of Brahma as the god who permeates everything is very seductive. Not a personification, just a spirit or life force. I don’t think that is stupid at all.

Rafael Sabatini

Harry Marks
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Penelope wrote:
Ah, well you see, I think it’s more important to be kind than to appear intelligent.

I do try to be honest. But I think I would lie before I would hurt someone’s feelings needlessly.

To tell someone they are stupid doesn’t really achieve anything. And as for delusional....Well, Do I delude myself? It might be a way of staying sane, I grant you that.

Whilst I also reject the peevish god as depicted in the OT. The idea of Brahma as the god who permeates everything is very seductive. Not a personification, just a spirit or life force. I don’t think that is stupid at all.

Neither do I.

As to you not correcting poor thinking, that, to scriptures, is not the loving thing to do.

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Regards
DL

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:39 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

The Buddhist nuns, where I have been to meditation, say that it is no use to speak to people about spiritual matters until they are ready. If you try to speak before that, it just makes them angry. No use at all. Of course they believe in reincarnation and that all our souls are immortal, so there’s plenty of time from their point of view. Although they believe in Karma so you can go on suffering for a long, long time if you have an unkind nature.

I think it depends on what one is seeking. My search was for enlightenment, you know, ‘why?’ Rather than ‘how’. I think I’m more interested in seeking peace just now.

I was rather pleased about the Hadron Collider, and the search for the Higgs Boson, which they called the God particle. But then, that’s just labelling isn’t it?

Rafael Sabatini

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:36 am

Gold Contributor

The Buddhist nuns, where I have been to meditation, say that it is no use to speak to people about spiritual matters until they are ready. If you try to speak before that, it just makes them angry. No use at all. Of course they believe in reincarnation and that all our souls are immortal, so there’s plenty of time from their point of view. Although they believe in Karma so you can go on suffering for a long, long time if you have an unkind nature.

I think it depends on what one is seeking. My search was for enlightenment, you know, ‘why?’ Rather than ‘how’. I think I’m more interested in seeking peace just now.

I was rather pleased about the Hadron Collider, and the search for the Higgs Boson, which they called the God particle. But then, that’s just labelling isn’t it?

Rafael Sabatini

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:37 am

Penelope wrote:

It is, yes.

I have claimed to have had an apotheosis. I have no proof of course. I class that as enlightenment. It did not bring peace. It brought war.

If it is peace you want, not to be ignorant here, then you want death.

Life craves drama and war is the epitome of drama. God, is war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQynsWpBpQ

Regards
DL

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:23 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Oooh, you are a misery Bishop ! I have been thinking about you this morning whilst having a peaceful walk around the grounds of a local stately home, Dunham Massey. The winter gardens were a treat. I was thinking about the famous epistle of St. Paul, Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels.....etc. I’m sure you know it. Anyway, the word in the King James Version is ‘charity’ and that is often substituted by the word ‘love’. But I was thinking that if we substituted charity for the word ‘kindness’. It makes a whole lot more sense.

We do make our own conflict, I agree with that because peace is boring. But we also crave security and we really can’t have both. I like peace anyway and I don’t crave excitement anymore.

I have become quite deaf over the last six months and so it really is rather peaceful.

Rafael Sabatini

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:23 am

Gold Contributor

Oooh, you are a misery Bishop ! I have been thinking about you this morning whilst having a peaceful walk around the grounds of a local stately home, Dunham Massey. The winter gardens were a treat. I was thinking about the famous epistle of St. Paul, Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels.....etc. I’m sure you know it. Anyway, the word in the King James Version is ‘charity’ and that is often substituted by the word ‘love’. But I was thinking that if we substituted charity for the word ‘kindness’. It makes a whole lot more sense.

We do make our own conflict, I agree with that because peace is boring. But we also crave security and we really can’t have both. I like peace anyway and I don’t crave excitement anymore.

I have become quite deaf over the last six months and so it really is rather peaceful.

Rafael Sabatini

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:24 am

Penelope wrote:

You will not like a new O.P. that I am working on.

Is war more good than evil? Should we war against the .001%?

http://www.upworthy.com/9-out-of-10-ame ... ing-fact-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmc72fCJivA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQynsWpBpQ

There is only one way of winning the heart and soul of another person; by force of ideas.

I submit that the world needs to war. War, first of ideas, --- wars of words, verbal war, debate and discussion, --- should first be tried to bring our demography into a better and more equitable form and balance. As a last resort a physical wars, force of arms, if required, should be waged against the .001%, if diplomacy fails. This is the only way to bring the greed of the .001% to heel and reunite them with the rest of humanity.

The goal of debate and discussion, a war of words, is to find truths that can be agreed upon. We are presently not even approaching to the .001 % for discussion.

Are we all living in cowed fear of our owners?

Should the vast majority of us not reclaim the economy we support or should we let the greedy .001% have it all?

Is our world, our humanity; not even worth fighting for?

Regards
DL

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:29 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

I am a trifle gobsmacked at that last post. It is interesting that since I was a child in the Church of England, I have hated the hymn, Fight the good Fight with all thy might. I believe that if we think life is going to be a fight, then it will be.

I don’t think certainty is a very good thing, because with certainty comes the inquisition. This seems to be where you are going. I like that God is a mystery and I don’t want it all categorised and pigeon holed.

I don’t think we can, as ordinary people, win hearts and souls. Only God can do that. We can demonstrate the way. Words don’t work because they become ‘jargon ‘ and are despised.

I believe that we can win people by kindness. I’ll give you an instance; I found it hard to feel any kindness, or indeed pray for some greedy, selfish and very, very powerful people, heads of state in this world today. But one lady on the internet said to me, ‘Think of them surrounded by darkness, as they are, poor souls. Pray for a glimmer of light to reach them. Don’t let them steal your joy. Joy comes from within of course, not the same as happiness. I would be happy if there were no hungry children in the world, but my joy comes from within me.

Love Pen. Xxx

Rafael Sabatini

Last edited by Penelope on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:53 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next