Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:31 pm





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Have you read the whole Bible? 
Author Message
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3257
Location: Cheshire, England
Thanks: 329
Thanked: 675 times in 521 posts
Gender: Female
Country: United Kingdom (uk)

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

This is one of the reason why I rejected Christianity. This is St Paul’s letter to the Romans. It makes me feel sick. I don’t believe Jesus would say this. It is horrible to think that God would choose some that means he rejects others. It does say further on in this chapter that they are ‘chosen’.

Judas was destined to betray Jesus!! How unfair would that be? No, not having it. I don’t believe the Bible.


_________________
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini


The following user would like to thank Penelope for this post:
Harry Marks
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:16 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!


Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 790
Thanks: 93
Thanked: 131 times in 116 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Penelope wrote:
Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

This is one of the reason why I rejected Christianity. This is St Paul’s letter to the Romans. It makes me feel sick. I don’t believe Jesus would say this. It is horrible to think that God would choose some that means he rejects others. It does say further on in this chapter that they are ‘chosen’.

Judas was destined to betray Jesus!! How unfair would that be? No, not having it. I don’t believe the Bible.


The bible is a tool.
It is not something to be believed or not believed.

If you cannot see that it is a consolidation of the many belief systems that preceded it, then your discernment is poor and you are wasting your time in your seeking of a God.

You should remember that it was mostly written when the intelligentsia knew that nothing could be know of the supernatural.

http://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

What I gave you show the natural way to the only God you can ever know.

Stop thinking of Jesus as real because4 he was never meant to be though of as real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

Regards
DL



Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3257
Location: Cheshire, England
Thanks: 329
Thanked: 675 times in 521 posts
Gender: Female
Country: United Kingdom (uk)

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
The Bible exists because the Jewish people wrote everything down. I understand that SOME of the Old Testament is Babylonian, Sumarian, Persian myth melted into Jewish scripture. Some is poetry, some is history and some law.

It is never a waste of time for anyone to seek God, and in the current scheme of things it is essential for some of us. Intellect is nothing to do with it.

I have the temerity to believe that our God will send his spirit to any who sincerely seek enlightenment.

And the Jesus who you are so certain did not exist promised to leave us a comforter. He said his spirit would be with us until the end of time.

Are those the words of a myth?





Enough for such as me.


_________________
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini


The following user would like to thank Penelope for this post:
Harry Marks
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:34 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!


Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 790
Thanks: 93
Thanked: 131 times in 116 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Penelope wrote:
The Bible exists because the Jewish people wrote everything down. I understand that SOME of the Old Testament is Babylonian, Sumarian, Persian myth melted into Jewish scripture. Some is poetry, some is history and some law.

It is never a waste of time for anyone to seek God, and in the current scheme of things it is essential for some of us. Intellect is nothing to do with it.

I have the temerity to believe that our God will send his spirit to any who sincerely seek enlightenment.

And the Jesus who you are so certain did not exist promised to leave us a comforter. He said his spirit would be with us until the end of time.

Are those the words of a myth?





Enough for such as me.


If you are to continue seeking the supernatural, I will leave you to your delusions of a real miracle working Jesus, while you ignore what was put in his mouth by the scribes.

Regards
DL



Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:55 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Addict


Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1369
Thanks: 1471
Thanked: 680 times in 551 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
A spirit is not necessarily supernatural. "Spirituality" can be completely free of the supernatural.



The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
Gnostic Bishop
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:07 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3257
Location: Cheshire, England
Thanks: 329
Thanked: 675 times in 521 posts
Gender: Female
Country: United Kingdom (uk)

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Gnostic B said:
If you are to continue seeking the supernatural, I will leave you to your delusions of a real miracle working Jesus, while you ignore what was put in his mouth by the scribes.


It is perfectly natural to be spiritual. If we didn’t have a soul or a spiritual part of us, we would be zombies. You have accused me of lack of perception and of being delusional because I do not see things your way.

I think you may have a few delusions of your own.


_________________
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini


Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:12 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!


Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 790
Thanks: 93
Thanked: 131 times in 116 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Harry Marks wrote:
A spirit is not necessarily supernatural. "Spirituality" can be completely free of the supernatural.


I like your play on words.

With your good mind, and free time, you should be in the Christian forums that have banned me for speaking the truth.

Regards
DL



Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:45 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!


Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 790
Thanks: 93
Thanked: 131 times in 116 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Penelope wrote:
Gnostic B said:
If you are to continue seeking the supernatural, I will leave you to your delusions of a real miracle working Jesus, while you ignore what was put in his mouth by the scribes.


It is perfectly natural to be spiritual. If we didn’t have a soul or a spiritual part of us, we would be zombies. You have accused me of lack of perception and of being delusional because I do not see things your way.

I think you may have a few delusions of your own.


Let me quote your Jesus again.

Man is the light of the world.

Spirituality has nothing to do with God. It has to do with you.

If you think you will find spirituality in a genocidal son murdering Yahweh or any other source other than yourself, then you might wonder why you are not satisfied with your spirituality.

You are a bright girl.

You might enjoy this presentation and you will note that the majority there are spiritual but almost none are religious.

That takes a bit of wisdom and your own bible tells you where to perfect your wisdom, and guess what, it is not in your bible.

Hebrews 6 King James Version; 1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Why that is is in these scriptures that speak of the prophets.

Isaiah 56:11) "They are shepherds who have no understanding; They have all turned to their own way, each on to his unjust gain, to the last one" But do not despair, for the day of judgment is at hand, for the day of judgment and the day of the LORD occupy the same time frame. All the dross will be burned away. (Zech 13:9) & (Malachi 3:3). In that day, "you will distinguish between the righteous and the wicked" (Malachi 3:18)

Regards
DL



Last edited by Gnostic Bishop on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:53 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3257
Location: Cheshire, England
Thanks: 329
Thanked: 675 times in 521 posts
Gender: Female
Country: United Kingdom (uk)

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Dear Bishop,

I am not a girl! I will be 74 this year. I have always been a seeker for truth however.

I have always found enough evidence for a deeper side to us humans to keep me interested. As I have reached old age, I have found joy.

Well, I maybe deluded!

Jesus never said Man is the light of the World. He said, ‘I am the light of the World’. ‘The kingdom of heaven is within you’. I will live in you if you live in me.’ Well, reputedly.

Just as I feel Joy when I listen to Mozart, and I don’t know why. I feel joy when you said, ‘Your Jesus ‘ in your last post. I don’t know why. It must look like delusional to you. It feels like a light in a dark place to me.

Anyway, bless you for calling me a girl! That will cheer me up for a week, especially when I tell my husband of 54 years. Will look at the links you sent btw. Thanks.


_________________
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini


The following user would like to thank Penelope for this post:
Harry Marks
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:20 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!


Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 790
Thanks: 93
Thanked: 131 times in 116 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Penelope wrote:
Dear Bishop,

I am not a girl! I will be 74 this year. I have always been a seeker for truth however.

I have always found enough evidence for a deeper side to us humans to keep me interested. As I have reached old age, I have found joy.

Well, I maybe deluded!

Jesus never said Man is the light of the World. He said, ‘I am the light of the World’. ‘The kingdom of heaven is within you’. I will live in you if you live in me.’ Well, reputedly.

Just as I feel Joy when I listen to Mozart, and I don’t know why. I feel joy when you said, ‘Your Jesus ‘ in your last post. I don’t know why. It must look like delusional to you. It feels like a light in a dark place to me.

Anyway, bless you for calling me a girl! That will cheer me up for a week, especially when I tell my husband of 54 years. Will look at the links you sent btw. Thanks.


I was going by your avatar name, old man. ;-)

If as you say, Jesus said, ‘I am the light of the World’. ‘The kingdom of heaven is within you’. I will live in you if you live in me.’

And my quote said you are a brethren to Jesus, and have taken on the Christ mind, then do you not become the light of the world?

You do the way I read scriptures as we become his full brethren and the light of the world.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Does that not logically make man the light of the word?

But if that logic goes over your head, try this below that shows I did not lie to you.



Matthew 5:14-16 King James Version (KJV)

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Just kidding about the old man thing. I likely have less hair than you and I earned my silver starting a long time ago.

Regards
DL



The following user would like to thank Gnostic Bishop for this post:
Harry Marks
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:53 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3257
Location: Cheshire, England
Thanks: 329
Thanked: 675 times in 521 posts
Gender: Female
Country: United Kingdom (uk)

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
My avatar name is my real name.

The light is meant to be the light of the Holy Spirit in us :

If the light is under a bushel it’s lost something kinda crucial.

It makes sense of the story of the wise and foolish virgins waiting for the bridegroom, or the ‘mean’ and foolish virgins?

They weren’t loving their neighbours anyway.

You say if the above quotes are not above my head. That is a patronising thing to say. On top of being non perceptive and delusional?

Well, that Bible also says, ‘the fool thinks himself wise , but the wise man knoweth himself to be a fool.’


_________________
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini


Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:28 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Addict


Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1369
Thanks: 1471
Thanked: 680 times in 551 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
With your ... free time, you should be in the Christian forums that have banned me for speaking the truth.
Sounds interesting. Can you suggest some?



Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:10 am
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!


Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 790
Thanks: 93
Thanked: 131 times in 116 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Penelope wrote:
My avatar name is my real name.

The light is meant to be the light of the Holy Spirit in us :

If the light is under a bushel it’s lost something kinda crucial.

It makes sense of the story of the wise and foolish virgins waiting for the bridegroom, or the ‘mean’ and foolish virgins?

They weren’t loving their neighbours anyway.

You say if the above quotes are not above my head. That is a patronising thing to say. On top of being non perceptive and delusional?

Well, that Bible also says, ‘the fool thinks himself wise , but the wise man knoweth himself to be a fool.’


Pffft.

If a person can only quote such garbage without showing the foolishness then he is the fool and not the other.

And if a person has to hide behind a supernatural shield to make a point, that is fictional and cannot be proven, like a Holy Spirit, then he is a fool and thinks like Martin Luther.

Martin Luther.
“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”
“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”

You are trying to trample logic and reason under your feet.

That is why you did not recant your original statement and attack the messenger instead of the message.

I call that hypocrisy. Not a good trait for people our age.

Regards
DL



Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 am
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!


Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 790
Thanks: 93
Thanked: 131 times in 116 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Harry Marks wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
With your ... free time, you should be in the Christian forums that have banned me for speaking the truth.
Sounds interesting. Can you suggest some?


Google Christian forum and pick almost any of them.

I have even been banned just because of my avatar name, even before writing anything.

Regards
DL



The following user would like to thank Gnostic Bishop for this post:
Harry Marks
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:56 am
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3257
Location: Cheshire, England
Thanks: 329
Thanked: 675 times in 521 posts
Gender: Female
Country: United Kingdom (uk)

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
Huffing and Puffing!!


_________________
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini


Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:53 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:



Site Resources 
HELPFUL INFO:
Forum Rules & Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
BBCode Explained
Author Interview Transcripts
Be a Book Discussion Leader!

IDEAS FOR WHAT TO READ:
Bestsellers
Book Awards
• Book Reviews
• Online Books
• Team Picks
Newspaper Book Sections

WHERE TO BUY BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

BEHIND THE BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

PROMOTE YOUR BOOK!
Advertise on BookTalk.org
How To Promote Your Book





BookTalk.org is a thriving book discussion forum, online reading group or book club. We read and talk about both fiction and non-fiction books as a community. Our forums are open to anyone in the world. While discussing books is our passion we also have active forums for talking about poetry, short stories, writing and authors. Our general discussion forum section includes forums for discussing science, religion, philosophy, politics, history, current events, arts, entertainment and more. We hope you join us!


Navigation 
MAIN NAVIGATION

HOMEFORUMSOUR BOOKSAUTHOR INTERVIEWSADVERTISELINKSFAQDONATETERMS OF USEPRIVACY POLICYSITEMAP

OTHER PAGES WORTH EXPLORING
Banned Book ListOnline Reading GroupTop 10 Atheism Books

Copyright © BookTalk.org 2002-2019. All rights reserved.
Display Pagerank