Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Have you read the whole Bible? 
Years of membership
Asleep in Reading Chair

Post Re: Have you read the whole Bible?
I've read the complete Bible and some of the Apocrypha. I picked up a red-letter Bible a while back (actual words of Jesus are in red). I plan to read the red part someday, see what kind of impression it makes without all the Pauline interpretation.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intern

Highscores: 5

I read nearly all of it. I read the entire thing except for one book. I can't remember which one. I'm rereading the Bible these days and will finish the whole thing. I read the Catholic Bible the first time around. Now I'm reading the King James version.

It took me a year or so to read it. I read just a little of it every night.

The effect the Bible had on me was that it was a major contributor to me becoming an atheist.

The following user would like to thank Murmur for this post:
Gnostic Bishop, LanDroid, Litwitlou, Under_Taker
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:10 am
Profile Email
Years of membership
Junior

Silver Contributor

KindaSkolarly wrote:
I've read the complete Bible and some of the Apocrypha. I picked up a red-letter Bible a while back (actual words of Jesus are in red). I plan to read the red part someday, see what kind of impression it makes without all the Pauline interpretation.

Those red-letters are found only in the Gospels. They are all the Bible I care to read. There's a website that will read the Bible to you free, in your choice of editions and many languages. Sometimes I let it put me to sleep at night.

https://www.wordproject.org/bibles/index.htm

The following user would like to thank Litwitlou for this post:
Harry Marks
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:28 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

Murmur wrote:
I read nearly all of it. I read the entire thing except for one book. I can't remember which one. I'm rereading the Bible these days and will finish the whole thing. I read the Catholic Bible the first time around. Now I'm reading the King James version.

It took me a year or so to read it. I read just a little of it every night.

The effect the Bible had on me was that it was a major contributor to me becoming an atheist.

https://false-doctrine-assassin.blog/20 ... preachers/

Good.

Now you have a reason to hate and go to a war of words where you can do damage to your enemy. Welcome.

Regards
DL

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:06 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Booktacular!

Gold Contributor

The Bible is just a collection of books and those somewhat randomly chosen to be included and others rejected. It is not God’s word. A lot of it is allegorical. Some is poetry, some history, some Jewish law. It is claimed that Jesus is God’s word so
it is more in the sense of communication....so not words....spiritual communication. So you can read the bible a hundred times and quote it backwards
and upside down but if you don’t perceive the spirit
and behave accordingly, then all is to no avail.

It is what we do and how we live that matters, not what we believe. Not how we label ourselves. We are not our labels.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

The following user would like to thank Penelope for this post:
Harry Marks
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 pm
Getting Comfortable

I tried reading the bible when I was 7 years old but I only finished up to the last part of Genesis. I actually like it back then and for me, it was just another story that had nothing to do with religion. Of course, I know better now. The bible is guide to lead your faith but not exactly the end all, be all.

The following user would like to thank treder for this post:
Harry Marks
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:41 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Conversationalist

Book Discussion Leader

Penelope wrote:
if you don’t perceive the spirit
It is what we do and how we live that matters, not what we believe. Not how we label ourselves. We are not our labels.
Thanks for this, Penelope. Of course you probably realize that it turns Luther's idea of Grace upside down - the Protestant tradition said it wasn't our acts but our beliefs that mattered. I have been looking at this tangle of ideas for many years and I think the answer is pretty simple, if uncomfortable for the institutional church.

The reason beliefs matter is not that they give us special access to grace, but that they can act as a channel for more grace to flow through us to others. The point of the beliefs is to, as you put it, perceive the spirit and behave accordingly.

Grace refers to God's unwavering love, which always defines God's relationship to us, and which never depends on our earning it. The feeling that we have to earn something, that we are on stage to make the right performance, is one of the subtlest and most resistant barriers to the spirit.

What the institutional church has gotten wrong is to try to make people believe that our labels are the one performance that matters. In reality they are unlikely to make us any more effective as channels for grace.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:02 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Booktacular!

Gold Contributor

Jesus didn’t give us any rules. He said to love god and treat others as we would be treated. Nothing else. He promised to leave us the Holy Spirit to help us along. He said he was the fulfilment of the laws of the poor Jews , who had so many laws and rules that it was all but impossible to keep them all.

Anybody can understand the rules that Jesus left whether you believe he actually existed or not. If you pray for the help of the spirit, it seems to be given. That’s what grace is.

Thank you Harry Marks for your response. I can’t see the ‘thank post’ button on my phone app.

Rafael Sabatini

Harry Marks
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 am
Genius

Penelope wrote:
The Bible is just a collection of books and those somewhat randomly chosen to be included and others rejected. It is not God’s word. A lot of it is allegorical. Some is poetry, some history, some Jewish law. It is claimed that Jesus is God’s word so
it is more in the sense of communication....so not words....spiritual communication. So you can read the bible a hundred times and quote it backwards
and upside down but if you don’t perceive the spirit

This is true, but labels do matter.

You are correct on what the bible is, but you might wonder how Christian spirituality has created a homophobic and misogynous religion that favors a genocidal son murdering prick of a God.

That is why my label is Gnostic Christian and labelling me a Christian is an insult to me.

Regards
DL

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:57 am
Profile Email
Genius

treder wrote:
I tried reading the bible when I was 7 years old but I only finished up to the last part of Genesis. I actually like it back then and for me, it was just another story that had nothing to do with religion. Of course, I know better now. The bible is guide to lead your faith but not exactly the end all, be all.

Led your faith to idol worship a genocidal son murdering God.

Tell us please, why do you favor such a God whose morals seem so satanic?

Regards
DL

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:59 am
Profile Email
Genius

Penelope wrote:
Jesus didn’t give us any rules. He said to love god and treat others as we would be treated.

Can you love a genocidal God who always seems to kill when he could just as easily take the moral high ground and cure?

Can you love a God who tortures and kills babies?

https://vimeo.com/7038401

Regards
DL

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:05 am
Profile Email
Booktacular!

Gold Contributor

I don’t like the God of the Old Testament and I don’t believe most of the New Testament stories of Jesus, but I can perceive the spirit and pray and be comforted. So not a ‘proper ‘ Christian. But I have studied the Bible by myself without influence from any Church.

Rafael Sabatini

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:43 pm
Genius

Penelope wrote:
I don’t like the God of the Old Testament and I don’t believe most of the New Testament stories of Jesus, but I can perceive the spirit and pray and be comforted. So not a ‘proper ‘ Christian. But I have studied the Bible by myself without influence from any Church.

Then how in hell can you pray and be comforted by a book that you disrespect and whose God is more Satan-like than God-like?

For God's sake, can you not find a moral God instead of the genocidal son murdering prick of the bible?

Not to mention that their misogyny likely kept you a lot poorer than you should have been by denying you equality forever.

I can see men liking that God of War because he is sure good to them as compared to women, but cannot fathom why any woman would be a Christian.

Stockholm syndrome perhaps.

Regards
DL

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:52 pm
Profile Email
Booktacular!

Gold Contributor

There is only one God! I was brought up Christian, so read the Bible whilst growing up and it does become a way of thinking. I began to do Yoga and be taught Yogic philosophy and thence looked at Buddhism which IS a philosophy rather than a religion.

I think Buddhism makes me a better ‘prayer’. Probably through learning contemplation and meditation. This just happens to have been the path I have taken. We all develop a philosophy of some kind over our lifetimes.

I don’t know why I find it such a comfort. It’s a soul thing. Your soul is what makes you appreciate beauty in music, art etc. We don’t know why music or art can bring us comfort and joy. So I suppose that is why I can’t explain.

Sorry if I’ve made you angry. That is not my intention at all.

Rafael Sabatini

Harry Marks
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:01 am
Genius

Penelope wrote:
There is only one God! I was brought up Christian, so read the Bible whilst growing up and it does become a way of thinking. I began to do Yoga and be taught Yogic philosophy and thence looked at Buddhism which IS a philosophy rather than a religion.

I think Buddhism makes me a better ‘prayer’. Probably through learning contemplation and meditation. This just happens to have been the path I have taken. We all develop a philosophy of some kind over our lifetimes.

I don’t know why I find it such a comfort. It’s a soul thing. Your soul is what makes you appreciate beauty in music, art etc. We don’t know why music or art can bring us comfort and joy. So I suppose that is why I can’t explain.

Sorry if I’ve made you angry. That is not my intention at all.

You are correct that there is only one God you can ever know. Guess who Jesus says that God is.

If you read the bible, you must have missed the most important message Jesus has for you.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

Regards
DL

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:25 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next