Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:12 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
1-15/Wk3/Ch3: Jairus, the Two-Faced Leader 
Gaining experience

Post 1-15/Wk3/Ch3: Jairus, the Two-Faced Leader
Please Post Reply any thoughts on this chapter, what you liked or disliked about it, the Truths that resonated with your Spirit - OR - answer the chapter questions for group discussion below:

1. Jairus had friends who expected perfection out of him. How is a real friend different than this?

2. Jesus never mentioned Jairus's hypocrisy as he led the entourage on the way to heal the man's daughter. How has a friend shown unconditional love to you?

3. When you are in desperate need, where do you turn?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:54 am
Profile Email
Gaining experience

Post Re: 1-15/Wk3/Ch3: Jairus, the Two-Faced Leader
In the second paragraph of Chapter 3 it states:

People had left the temple to follow Jesus. Temple dues were going unpaid and the religious leaders bickered often about what to do next. The whole city of Jerusalem was divided.

I wonder how devout a Jew was Jesus if people left the temple to follow Him? I know this is a fiction book but the author did extensive research to make this story as true as possible. So I did some research myself to find out why she wrote that. Then I found the answer in the last article at the link below: Jesus really didn't fit into any of the existing sects of Judaism, so the author alluded to Jesus starting a new sect of Judaism and people leaving to follow Him. I don't really believe people left the temple to follow Him, though. I believe Jesus was a devout Jew even though he may not have agreed with, or even followed, all of the practices of Judaism. It's interesting that there were several sects of Judaism just like there are many Christian denominations today.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontlin ... ddied.html

Last edited by Jan_wow on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:13 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

Quote:
1. Jairus had friends who expected perfection out of him. How is a real friend different than this?

2. Jesus never mentioned Jairus's hypocrisy as he led the entourage on the way to heal the man's daughter. How has a friend shown unconditional love to you?

I am happy to remember that we have had friends who brushed aside my gruff manners or thoughtless moments, keeping up a friendship anyway. I could probably think of times I have done the same for them - I don't know, because I am not big on keeping score.

I'm not sure I have ever opened up enough to give a friend a chance to accept me in spite of my most private faults.

My wife has friends who shared very deeply with one another in college days. She is still friends with them, and they accept each other easily. I sometimes think women are better at friendship than men.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:31 am
Profile Email
Gaining experience

Harry Marks wrote:
My wife has friends who shared very deeply with one another in college days. She is still friends with them, and they accept each other easily. I sometimes think women are better at friendship than men.

You might be right about women being better at friendship than men, up to a point. Females can be emotionally brutal to each other as evidenced from pre-school on up, but I think we are more forgiving of each other, especially because we love and invest in our friendships at a deeper level than men do. I believe 1 Peter 4:8 applies to all close friendships - Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

The following user would like to thank Jan_wow for this post:
Harry Marks
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:36 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Real friends do not expect perfection from you they are there for you just like Jesus was a real friend and did not expect that from Jairus. This was very good to recap and was what I needed to read again. I am going through some bad things and a dear friend has been there for me and God has also been there.

The following user would like to thank C Boland for this post:
Harry Marks, Jan_wow
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:04 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.