• In total there are 36 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Re: How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways?

Unread post

TEKennelly wrote:Gnostic Bishop has written: "How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways? I find it quite strange that Christian, Muslims and Jews can ignore the immoral ways that their God is shown to have in the Bible, Qur’an and Talmud." These are book written by men. They contain good and useful teachings. They contain inspired teachings. They are not perfect. One uses from the text that which is useful.
Indeed.
Christianity has used their text to justify Inquisitions and Muslims use theirs to justify Jihad.

Nice text that are close to Mein Kampf.

Regards
DL
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Why is it that humans have this powerful need to create "God" and then argue about this God's characteristics. It constantly amazes me.

The bigger problem here is that religions compete with one another to make laws based on this fictional character called God, whose characteristics no one agrees on. The obvious answer is that different gods and different religions are born of different cultures, reflecting the beliefs and social mores of those cultures. And because the cultures that bore these religions are old, we see many archaisms in the holy texts, most of which we ignore because they don't make sense in the modern world. We don't need some ancient culture's conception of a mystical deity to know that it's wrong (in most contexts) to take someone's life.
-Geo
Question everything
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

geo wrote:Why is it that humans have this powerful need to create "God" and then constantly argue about this God's characteristics. It constantly amazes me.
It seems to be inherent in our psychology.

I like to think I understand it, but it has many components, from our tribal natures to our desire to be the fittest and create the fittest ideology for survival.

People tend to forget that man has instincts that are controlling him to a large extent.

I did find a couple of links that speak to some of those issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IqYHiejTVM&t=369s

http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/is-spi ... it-learned

Regards
DL
TEKennelly
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote: Indeed.
Christianity has used their text to justify Inquisitions and Muslims use theirs to justify Jihad.

Regards
DL
Really, the Bible is like "Mein Kampf"?

No doubt. They are both written texts. The Iliad is like the phone book and "Moby-Dick" is like the menu at Burger King. Thank you, Gnostic Bishop.
Last edited by TEKennelly on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Please detail and justify the morality employed by the Christian Triune Deity known as Yahweh/Jesus/Holy Ghost during the Great Flood Genocide survived only by Noah's family and "two of every kind." Oh and the basis for the moral necessity to create the rainbow while you're at it...
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:Please detail and justify the morality employed by the Christian Triune Deity known as Yahweh/Jesus/Holy Ghost during the Great Flood Genocide survived only by Noah's family and "two of every kind." Oh and the basis for the moral necessity to create the rainbow while you're at it...
From the Last Glacial Maximum to the dawn of the Holocene Era, the sea level rose by 125 metres, as shown in this chart.
Such major changes, flooding the Persian Gulf and the North Sea, turning the Black Sea from fresh to salt, etc etc, are well remembered in mythology, although over long periods the detail of the myth changes in oral culture. Gilgamesh from Babylon also contains the flood myth, as does Agastya from India. Agastya is the same word as Argo and Ark, illustrating the etymological links across the Indo-European group of languages.

The increase of population density during the early Holocene was supported by technological progress, leading to the emergence of settled agriculture, metal and writing. This transformed culture also brought a transformed moral framework of society, with the old system of reverence for knowledgeable elders replaced by the power of swords and money.

The Noah Flood Myth serves as a statement by the knowers of the moral failure of the emerging value system. It reflects how broad swathes of coastline were obliterated, and uses this as a moral parable.

ETA: Here is a picture of the effect of the flood on India. Recall that Pleistocene India was settled as a coastal civilization, so it is probable that population density was highest in the flooded areas.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

TEKennelly wrote:

Regards
DL

No doubt. They are both written texts. The Iliad is like the phone book and "Moby-Dick" is like the menu at Burger King. Thank you, Gnostic Bishop.
Uneducated I see.

Can you not picture Hitler saying the following of the Jews?

Luke 19:27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.

Yahweh and Allah are more tyrannical than any of the tyrants we have had to suffer, including Hitler.

At least Hitler is not as vile as his punishment stops with death, while the Gods promis to punish even more after death.

If you do not see that as one of the vilest concepts, your morals need adjusting.

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:Please detail and justify the morality employed by the Christian Triune Deity known as Yahweh/Jesus/Holy Ghost during the Great Flood Genocide survived only by Noah's family and "two of every kind." Oh and the basis for the moral necessity to create the rainbow while you're at it...
I cannot justify a God who can cure as well as kill, and always seems to kill instead of cure.

Satan has better morals, if you count the bodies killed in scriptures.

Regards
DL
TEKennelly
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

It is a story written for our edification (or so we are told). It does not look like an historical narrative.
Every Biblical story is not useful with respect to every question and some stories (such as the Flood) are making a point or points that we are not inclined to consider. There is the suggestion in the story that human evil is a profound problem (which of course it is), but this is revealed by way of the evil of God Himself. It is deeply troubling. There is a fairly good modern work which treats this problem of the evil of God: Jung's "Answer to Job". I recommend it quite soberly.
There is another work I will suggest along similar lines: Girard's "I Saw Satan Fall". Neither work defends the narrative of genocide (there is of course no defense for it) but the works put the problem evil and in particular evil connected (by supposition or narrative) to God in a new context.

This does not answer your question, but it does provide some possibility of giving the problem further consideration.
TEKennelly
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
TEKennelly wrote:

Regards
DL

Uneducated I see.

Can you not picture Hitler saying the following of the Jews?

Luke 19:27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.

Yahweh and Allah are more tyrannical than any of the tyrants we have had to suffer, including Hitler.

At least Hitler is not as vile as his punishment stops with death, while the Gods promise to punish even more after death.

If you do not see that as one of the vilest concepts, your morals need adjusting.

Regards
DL
Luke 19:27, in context, looks like the closing line of a parable. There are numerous stories from Jesus about the need to love and forgive your neighbor which are completely at odds with the hate that is characteristic of Hitler's writings and the activity which was his life.

I do not tend to think in terms of eternal punishment after death. I deem the teaching essentially exoteric, or given to persuade people to love and follow the command to love.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”