• In total there are 32 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Work requirements for Medicaid

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Work requirements for Medicaid

Unread post

I used to be in the social work world. That background might make me reflexively negative about the new proposal to tie Medicaid benefits to work for able-bodied people. But I really want to find out if my thinking on this might have some gaps. The reasoning behind the proposal, in the states that want to implement it, seems to be that people who could work--and therefore might be able to earn enough not to rely on Medicaid--are choosing not to work, gaming the system in order to be able to go to the doctor for free or for cheap.

In my state of Virginia, low-income parents/caretakers and disabled adults can qualify for Medicaid. If you are not a parent or disabled, you don't qualify no matter how little money you make. States vary in their rules regarding eligibility.

Return to “Current Events & History”