• In total there are 24 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Draining the swamp - Thank you Donald Trump

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Draining the swamp - Thank you Donald Trump

Unread post

ant wrote:Grow up, liberal america. All the wailing this past year has become an international embarrassment in the eyes of people abroad that really are a hair away from mayhem.
The international embarrassment we're facing is from Trump, as shown by responses from many world leaders over the last year. That's excluding those cases where the leaders are adversaries(Russia/N. Korea).
While liberals continue to cry and lament what a horrible nightmare they are suffering, how "the Nazis have taken over" how we are now living in a true dystopia (reality does not match these dramatics) here is a ranking of the 10 worst presidents in history.
Thank god Trump isn't ranked as one of the ten worst presidents. That makes him great again.

You know it's bad when a defense of our president is to say that "at least we aren't a third world nation on the brink of total civil breakdown." Yes, we could be in a much worse position. But pointing that out isn't a good defense. We should strive for more.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Trump is good for America. He's lancing the boil that the governmental cabal has become. And if he's abrasive, so what? His governing actions make such perfect sense that opponents can't effectively attack them, so they attack him personally. They say the country's doomed because of him. But we survived his Marxist Muslim predecessor. And the scion of the gangster Bush family before that. And the Factor 8 killer before that. America's not doomed, just the opposite. Lower taxes, fat trimming, prosecution of the demonic scum who've infested the halls of government for decades--these are all GOOD things. And it's about time. Rejoice.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

ant wrote:While liberals continue to cry and lament what a horrible nightmare they are suffering, how "the Nazis have taken over" how we are now living in a true dystopia (reality does not match these dramatics) here is a ranking of the 10 worst presidents in history.

I don't know how President Harding did not rank closer to the top spot, but I encourage all you drama queens that probably have money in the bank, a nice home, a good job, and a big soft recliner to cry on to do a little research here.

Trump acts like an idiot. There's no question about that. He's unfiltered, crass, rude, and unpresidential, to say the least. Despite what your crystal balls have revealed to you, he has yet to, say, send 19 year olds to their deaths (aka Vietnam).
Another attack on the generalized bogeyman liberal, which get us no farther than attacks on the generalized bogeyman conservative. It's just a tribal shouting match. Where are you seeing this liberal paranoia playing out? On cable news? I never watch it, so that could be why your claim that liberals are bellyaching for selfish reasons fails to register with me. What I see in print, from commentators on the liberal and conservative sides (e.g., George F. Will, Charles Krauthammer, and Michael Gerson) are patriotic protests against the manner in which Trump is using and abusing his office. Yep, these folks complain that Trump is "unfiltered, crass, rude, and unpresidential, to say the least." Unlike you, they don't say, "Oh well, we're not under Putin-style oppression and our economy is fine, so everyone shut the hell up." This is like saying that there are not, after all, any expectations for conduct to which to hold a president, because it's all just words from him, and words don't matter.

Historians obviously haven't gotten around to rating Trump. Will has said he's already the worst in history. I don't have the background to rule on that judgment, but this president has been so egregious overall that it wouldn't surprise me if Will is right.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:. . . I like the statement of George Orwell: the hardest thing to see is what is right before our faces. Now please don't anyone think that I'm claiming immunity to this kind of blindness. But I can't avoid applying Orwell to the fact of Donald Trump's genuine and acute destructiveness. It isn't immediately apparent to all that our president engaging in a taunting match via twitter with a rogue nuclear power, is a siren blast telling us he's unfit for the office?
The most "Orwellian" aspect of Trump has to be his rather cavalier attitude towards the truth. And so we have the "fake news" (and now "fake books") mantra being thrown about when its convenient—but usually when the real world doesn't quite mesh with his skewed (and narcissistic) perception. For example, on the day after inauguration, Trump asserted that his inaugural crowd numbers were higher than Obama's, a claim later repeated by press secretary Sean Spicer. When various media outlets challenged this claim, Trump's team went into denial in a big way. Kellyanne Conway even claimed that Spicer was relying on “alternative facts"—a cringeworthy term that could have well been used by O'Brien, one of the Party leaders in Orwell's book, 1984.

This is just one example. Trump has made numerous claims that are simply false. During the campaign, he told many doozies, including that he never supported the war in Iraq. To be fair, it seems entirely impossible that Trump simply doesn't remember supporting the war in Iraq. But does that really matter? Again, there are hundreds of examples of distortions and inconsistencies and outright lies made by this president. It's on record, much of it on his twitter feed.

In 1984, Orwell's "newspeak" is the official language meant to limit the freedom of thought—personal identity, self-expression, free will—that ideologically threatens the regime of Big Brother and the Party. Obviously we are nowhere close to that kind of totalitarianism. And so Ant makes a good point here. But on the other hand, the fact that a large segment of our population still supports a reality TV president, who seems to not even understand the difference between fact and fiction, does illustrate how a Big Brother might come to power. I doubt it will ever happen under Trump because he is frankly not competent enough to stay in power.

Orwell's famous essay, Politics and the English Language, is probably a better indicator of our times. In this essay, Orwell describes how those in power can warp language for political gain. Many politicians are liars to some extent—they have to say the right things to be elected in the first place—and they also know how to dance around a question. Ronald Reagan famously once said "mistakes were made" instead of "oops, I messed up." But we have never seen a president so transparently disingenuous as Donald Trump. He doesn't hide what he doesn't know because he doesn't know that he doesn't know. Trump is the ultimate Dunning-Kruger president.

But we live in an increasingly transparent society and Trump's problems with the truth are glaringly obvious to most people. I don't know what will come out of the Russia investigation, but clearly the Trump administration is an absolute circus. All he would have to do is shut the hell up and most of that would stop. The fact that he doesn't, that he can't, shows how unfit he is to be president. What is incredibly scary is how many people are willing to tune out the "fake news" and the "liberal media" in exactly the same way that creationists dismiss scientific evidence because it interferes with their religious beliefs. Many wise men have said that for the American experiment to work, we need a well-informed citizenry. What happens when we exchange being well-informed for willful ignorance? We now have a good taste of what that looks like.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
ant wrote:Grow up, liberal america. All the wailing this past year has become an international embarrassment in the eyes of people abroad that really are a hair away from mayhem.
The international embarrassment we're facing is from Trump, as shown by responses from many world leaders over the last year. That's excluding those cases where the leaders are adversaries(Russia/N. Korea).
While liberals continue to cry and lament what a horrible nightmare they are suffering, how "the Nazis have taken over" how we are now living in a true dystopia (reality does not match these dramatics) here is a ranking of the 10 worst presidents in history.
Thank god Trump isn't ranked as one of the ten worst presidents. That makes him great again.

You know it's bad when a defense of our president is to say that "at least we aren't a third world nation on the brink of total civil breakdown." Yes, we could be in a much worse position. But pointing that out isn't a good defense. We should strive for more.

Nothing I said was an attempt at defending this current president. It was simply a statement about how ridiculous Americans look from the perspective of the international community.

The irony of this entire soap opera our national bandwagon loves lamenting about is rich. I'm betting most of these hyperbolic drama queens munched on popcorn and other goodies while watching an episode or two of The Apprentice. America's favorite pastime has been reality tv and its celebrities with all the uncouth vulgarities that come with it. And now that's exactly what's sitting in the White House largely because the democratic alternatives weren't much better and offered nothing more than business as usual. That, or Americans were too busy to bother themselves with politics.

And now everyone after years of living on a diet of entertainment, zoloft, and "keeping up with the Joneses" is a freedom fighting political pundit.
Where were all these voices of outrage the past 8 years? We were at war the entire 8 years, killed countless of innocent civilians abroad with new techno weaponry, and broke up thousands of latino immigrant families via mass deportations (The "Deporter in Chief")

Self righteous lamentations are nothing more than a virtue signaling meme.
Last edited by ant on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

You people may be in luck.

Oprah might take this personally and you will have your candidate to cheer on.
I don't think Hilary could beat her.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... CMP=twt_gu
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Folks, I, too, am a fan of George Orwell. But I don't see the problem as being what Trump does as President. Off Shore drilling? Fine with Trump. Reducing the size of Federally protected lands and monuments? He's been there, done that. Saying and tweeting crazy things? He's just playing to his base.

The problem is not Trump's policies as President; the problem is that Trump is President. I'm not saying Mrs Clinton is pure as the driven slush fund, but Donald Trump, really? REALLY?

He's President because people are becoming desperate.
The richest 1% now owns more than half of all the world’s household wealth, according to analysts at Credit Suisse. And they say inequality is only going to get worse over the coming years, with millennials having a particularly tough time.
http://fortune.com/2017/11/14/credit-su ... nequality/

44 million Americans have student loans. These are the people in our society who are the least able to manage their debts. They are the most likely to default.

In 2016, no payments were made by more than 4 million borrowers against a total of $137 billion in outstanding student loans. This represents a 14% annual increase in the default rate from 2015. On average, 3,000 new people default on their student loans each day.

And yet...the issuance of these bad debts continues to soar. Since 2013, the average balance of all student borrowers has increased by 17% to more than $30,000.

What do you think happens next?

What happens when the least educated, least "vested," and most violent members of your society (unmarried men in their 20s)...also make up the largest demographic block...and have the largest debts (relative to income) with zero ability to pay back these debts back or discharge them through bankruptcy?

As I said...44 million people carry a student loan. Most of them can't afford these loans. Nor can they default. They can't restructure. They're stuck – many with $100,000 loans that absorb more than 100% of their disposable income.

What do you think they are going to do?

All they can do is fight...
https://www.bullionvault.com/gold-news/ ... -110220171

This is the first generation who will not do as well as their parents. There is talk of a Debt Jubilee. Don't laugh-- there are billions of dollars in student loans and credit card debt that will never be repaid. People are grasping at straws. Trump may be the last straw.
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Litwitlou wrote:. . . This is the first generation who will not do as well as their parents. There is talk of a Debt Jubilee. Don't laugh-- there are billions of dollars in student loans and credit card debt that will never be repaid. People are grasping at straws. Trump may be the last straw.
Yes, in a sense we are complaining about Trump without addressing the bigger problem that gave us Trump (and Hillary for that matter). It was a terrible choice for the American people, a choice handed to us by the more desperate—the 99 percent I don't know about this debt jubilee, but without a strong middle class the whole artifice comes down.
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:You people may be in luck.

If it came down to Oprah versus Trump, I would probably just go live in the woods. The American experiment would be over.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

geo wrote:
ant wrote:You people may be in luck.

If it came down to Oprah versus Trump, I would probably just go live in the woods. The American experiment would be over.

:lol:

Return to “Current Events & History”