Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Dry January 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

Post Re: Dry January
Chris OConnor wrote:
I'm in need of addressing some other unhealthy habits like eating too damn much. Is there a club for that addiction? 8)

It's a bigger control problem on the eating side, isn't it? We still gotta eat when going without booze. Maybe start a Starvation February thing? It's a short month. People might find it easier to deny themselves if they know there's an end date to their suffering. Maybe the experience of strict limits during Feb. could help them be moderate for the months afterwards. I don't know, maybe.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:44 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

There is indeed; it is called Overeaters Anonymous. Their web site it https://oea.org

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

The following user would like to thank Cattleman for this post:
Harry Marks
Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:51 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Addict

DWill wrote:
Chris OConnor wrote:
I'm in need of addressing some other unhealthy habits like eating too damn much. Is there a club for that addiction? 8)

It's a bigger control problem on the eating side, isn't it? We still gotta eat when going without booze.
I am a great believer in the opposition between connection and addiction. Computer strategy games are my addiction, and I definitely find a trade-off between connection time with friends and family, on the one hand, and computer game time, on the other.

It also helps to treat addictive substances or activities (e.g. eating cake) as a "social activity only". Just as drinking alone is a sign of a problem, so eating treats alone shows an imbalance.

I lost 20 pounds when I retired, and have kept it off. I am still a little bit overweight, but I love getting comments about how I am "looking good," etc. The key was getting enough sleep. Research has showed that insufficient sleep leads to more impulsive behavior.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
DWill
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:35 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Discussion Leader
BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Re: Dry January
An Irishman walks into a bar in Dublin, orders three pints of Guinness and sits in the back of the room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn. When he finished all three, he comes back to the bar and orders three more.

The bartender says to him, "You know, a pint goes flat after I draw it; it would taste better if you bought one at a time." The Irishman replies, "Well, you see, I have two brothers. One is in America, the other in Australia, and I’m here in Dublin. When we all left home, we promised that we’d drink this way to remember the days we all drank together."

The bartender admits that this is a nice custom, and leaves it there. The Irishman becomes a regular in the bar and always drinks the same way: he orders three pints and drinks the three pints by taking drinks from each of them in turn.

One day, he comes in and orders two pints. All the other regulars in the bar notice and fall silent. When he comes back to the bar for the second round, the bartender says, "I don’t want to intrude on your grief, but I wanted to offer my condolences on your great loss."

The Irishman looks confused for a moment, then a lights dawns in his eye and he laughs. "Oh, no," he says, "Everyone is fine. I’ve just quit drinking!"

The following user would like to thank LanDroid for this post:
DWill, Harry Marks, LevV
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:26 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Freshman

Silver Contributor

Best joke I've heard in a while. Thanks.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:25 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4