• In total there are 30 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Book Review - Science Was Born Of Chrisitanity

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Book Review - Science Was Born Of Chrisitanity

Unread post

My publishing business -The Habitation of Chimham Publishing, published an apologetics book several years ago. The book is called, Science Was Born Of Christianity amazon.com/Science-Born-Christianity-St ... ristianity SWBOC

The book was recently reviewed byThe National Catholic Bioethics Quarterly - Summer 2017. I have attached a copy of said review as a pdf file.

While members of BookTalk will certainly find portions of the review debatable, there are many salient points in it which atheists would do well to consider. Of particular significance is the repeated point that ancient* cultural beliefs in a cyclical nature of the universe prevented the development of science.

*This belief in the cyclical nature of the universe continues to this day in some quarters, especially among adherents to The Great Year. I point out here that while SWBOC is a work of apologetics written by a Christian, the idea of the harmful influence of The Great Year is not limited to Christian tomes. Indeed, Paul Feyerabend also ascribes harm to the concept of a cyclical universe.

Aother main concept is that science benefited from a rational creator and, by extension, rational creations. The rational creation concept extends to Christians, though atheists would have us believe otherwise.

I encourage members of BT to read the review, if for no other reason than to inform yourselves of the arguments inthe book. The review isn't long. Oh, and I would also encourage BT members to read SWBOC, it also isn't long.
Attachments
Book Review-Science Was Born of Christianity.pdf
(180.55 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Book Review - Science Was Born Of Chrisitanity

Unread post

Good luck with the book!

BookTalk discussed this work April - June 2014.
science-was-born-of-christianity-the-te ... -f223.html
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

LanDroid,

Thank you.

It is Chimham's best seller. We have sold about a thousand copies since it was published.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

I recall this review and SWBOC as well. I remember thinking, and maybe commenting here, that it was the sweeping claim that caused me problems. On the face of the matter, since the Greeks did pioneer in science, it cannot be true that Christianity created science. Much after the Greeks, but before Christendom had accomplished a lot, Islam had its run with science. So for the sake of accuracy, Jaki should have scaled back his claim, something along the lines of "It took a Christian environment to really get science humming along ." Historians have acknowledged that, despite the outsized attention given to the Church's resistance to Copernicus and Galileo, Christianity was no enemy of the growth of science. But the prevailing religion of Europe was only one of the historical factors driving change at the time, so I think Jaki is still overextending. Historians don't go in for single-factor theories to explain complex developments.

Another thought I had was that Jaki was off-base in defining science narrowly as measurement or quantification. This focus would seem to leave no room for theory, which clearly would impoverish scientific endeavor. Whether we like it or not, the facts science produces might impinge on our range of beliefs, and cause us to adjust accordingly. The most obvious illustration is our revision of how we viewed our relationship to other animals once Darwin produced his massive data on the origin of species.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:belief in the cyclical nature of the universe continues to this day in some quarters, especially among adherents to The Great Year. I point out here that while SWBOC is a work of apologetics written by a Christian, the idea of the harmful influence of The Great Year is not limited to Christian tomes.
The Great Year is the scientific observation that the equinoxes precess around the ecliptic every ~25,771 years. The main "harm" caused by the influence of the Great Year is to the fundamentalist Christian delusion that the universe is 6000 years old.

The Great Year is a purely scientific fact, a cyclic pattern of terrestrial time that influences life on our planet in fundamental ways as the main driver of glacier cycles.

Return to “Science & Technology”