• In total there are 45 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Book Suggestions on History of Medicine?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Slaverz_Bay
Almost Comfortable

Book Suggestions on History of Medicine?

Unread post

Hey all: I recently read a novel called "The North Water" that featured a 19th Century Brit surgeon in it. The novel was awesome, btw, and it rekindled my fascination with 19th century medical practices. So I am looking for a book to read next on this sort of subject. Preferably a novel. A past book of the sort that I really enjoyed and am looking for now would be Caleb Carr's great "The Alienist." (Yes...that particular book was set in 1800s NYC, but it is of the sort I am looking towards.)

If anybody has a recommendation for me here I would be much obliged.

Side note: for fellow fans of The Alienist, I just heard that AMC (?) is gonna do a TV series on it soon.

Thanks!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Book Suggestions on History of Medicine?

Unread post

This probably doesn't fit the bill for you, but I thought the medical tie-in in The Destiny of the Republic, by Candice Millard, was pretty interesting. The book is about the assassination of James A. Garfield in 1881. It's history, but reads a like a novel. Makes you thankful for 21st C. medicine.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: Book Suggestions on History of Medicine?

Unread post

https://www.amazon.com/Social-Transform ... 0465079350

I had a sociology/anthropology class in the early 1980s that covered the emerging medical profession in the nineteen century. I believe we read some of Paul Starr's work. The link I posted is to his 1983 Pulitzer Prize winner that covers the topic.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”